DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I, of course, will have to re-read your post to see if you disagree with me on anything.  In which case I will know you are wrong about always being right.

It is not necessary, since, if you are right, then it would be impossible for my post to disagree, since, I too, am absolutely correct.

I think people misconstrued my comment about Elba being The Gunslinger. I have no problem with him being black, I just didn't picture him as English. I always got the feeling the character (correctly described as gunfighter/cowboy/samurai) as being American Midwestern or Southwestern (perhaps even Hispanic). Hence why I said Elba, who is an excellent actor, may be able to pull it off. John Cleese has shown an amazing ability to do various american accents.

Elba can pull off an American accent. That said, why does Roland have to sound American or fully so? He does originate from another world where accents quite possibly evolved in a way distinctly different from ours.

This is how I feel about most comic book characters.

a lot of them. Particularly the most profitable ones. 

I think we have more stories for say...The Fabulous Frogman, or the latest Ms Marvel - characters without the dead weight of 70 years of monthly tales. 

Invincible was a breath of fresh air for that reason. Though in the end I found it too mindlessly bloody to hold my interest, I think there are more stories there.

Characters from team books that have been so overshadowed their existence, guest stars who disappeared long ago. I think there are heroic tales to be told. Love the genre. 

That's nice.

Can we get back to childishly attacking other's preferences and the crass objectification of women, please?

We're childishly attacking the crass objectification of women?

I am 100% sure that there are many people who have enough familiarity with Norse mythology to have heard of Thor, Odin and Loki and would even if comic book Thor had never existed.  Norse mythology is not quite as big as Greek mythology in the popular mind but it is still plenty big.   It's nowhere near Summanus or Cloacina territory.

Funny you should mention Cloacina, I owe Her an offering....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary meanwhile owes one to Janus

Freya's name is quite pronounceable, she's the most famous and important goddess in Norse mythology (excluding Hel who is famous for all the wrong reasons), and while her spheres of gold and beauty don't give a lot to work with, she's also goddess of war and (non-evil) death, the only war goddess the Norse have, and the mistress of the Valkyries.  Specific mythical details like her cloak of flight, ability to control cats, and power of precognition would help to make her non-generic in a way that Sif isn't.  She'd also probably have light powers seeing as how she's Frey's twin sister.  If any Norse goddess was going to be a model for a lead superhero, Freya's the only option I can see (except for Valkyries in general, and they've already done that).  

She's still not in Thor's class as a marketable property of course.  

I'm not so sure about that. The manga/anime of "Oh My Goddess !" using (somewhat twisted i'll admit) versions of the Norns (Urd, Skuld and Belldandy) has worked pretty well !

I mean "usable as a lead superheroine in Marvel comics".

In order to be that, she must first of all have a name the English speakers can easily pronounce. So you can forget characters like Hlin, Thrudr, and Lofn. She should appear in relatively well known myths so her recognizability can be used and she can inspire the writer. So not Nott, Nanna, Eir... She should be the actual goddess of something. Sif is the goddess of "being Thor's wife and Loki's victim". Great, this has led to her superheroic niche being "one of Thor's girlfriends", and her exciting superpower of "being a generic Asgardian". Yay. She shouldn't be the goddess of something that can't really be used to fight bad guys in a non-ridiculous way. Idunn is the goddess of youth. What's she going to do, turn bad guys into babies? She should not be a mythological villain. So not Hel, goddess of death, and not Ran, goddess of drowning at sea. Skadi almost qualifies. She at least has a myth, although it consists of nothing but skiing to Asgard and launching a formal complaint. But really she's only got the makings of a villain or a secondary character. I would like to see her though. I can see her now sliding along on Iceman style ice-slides while shooting arrows made of ice that explode to freeze things.

I could see Hel being good as a grim-dark anti-hero type.

Good DC

Batman (Adam West), Adventures of Superman, Lois And Clark, Wonder Woman, The Flash (both 1990 and 2015), Batman/Superman/Justice League Animated Series, Batman/Superman Public Enemies and Apocalypse, Justice League Crisis on Two Earths, Superman The Movie, Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut, Supergirl TV Show.

Bad DC

Green Lantern, Justice League War, Justice League Flashpoint, Man of Steel, Supergirl Movie, Superman 2 (Richard Lester version), Superman 3, Superman IV, Green Lantern (deserves to be said again).

Good Marvel

Iron Man Movies, Avengers 1 and 2, Captain America 1 and 2, Avengers Assemble Animated Series, Spider-Man

Bad Marvel

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Marvel's Agent Carter, Fantastic Four movies (all of them), Daredevil, Elektra, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2, Spider-Man 2 and 3.  

Cassandra's list is a bit mystifying on the "Marvel" side of things. Why no mention of the X-Men movies? Or the Hulk movies. Or the Blade movies. Or...(the list goes on)...

And, honestly, I feel Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter are far better than anything on tv based on DC properties.

Flash has its moments, and Supergirl is entertaining despite its lingering flaws. But I just think AoS and Agent Carter are not only highly entertaining, they are more intelligently written. And the fact that they tie in with the MCU adds to the value, at least for me.

I first learned of them in Edith Hamilton's Mythology

But, then, I was a weird ten year old.

Of course, the next "source" for Norse Myths that I read was Deities & Demigods

Which included bare-midriff snow-bunny Freya...

I found a book of Greek and then Norse Mythology in about 3rd grade...   went looking for more!

Good DC

Batman (Adam West), Adventures of Superman, Lois And Clark, Wonder Woman, The Flash (both 1990 and 2015), Batman/Superman/Justice League Animated Series, Batman/Superman Public Enemies and Apocalypse, Justice League Crisis on Two Earths, Superman The Movie, Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut, Supergirl TV Show.

Bad DC

Green Lantern, Justice League War, Justice League Flashpoint, Man of Steel, Supergirl Movie, Superman 2 (Richard Lester version), Superman 3, Superman IV, Green Lantern (deserves to be said again).

Good Marvel

Iron Man Movies, Avengers 1 and 2, Captain America 1 and 2, Avengers Assemble Animated Series, Spider-Man

Bad Marvel

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Marvel's Agent Carter, Fantastic Four movies (all of them), Daredevil, Elektra, Amazing Spider-Man 1 and 2, Spider-Man 2 and 3.  

tastes differ, and if you call Agents of Shield bad, then, well, we have serious pounts of divergence. 

AoS was pretty uneven, especially in Season 1 where it seemed like there was nothing interesting going on for a while.  It got better.

I haven't watched any Agent Carter, Flash, or Supergirl so I have no opinion on those, other than to note that they all seem to be well received.

I'm not generally a TV guy, so take this as you will, but Agent Carter was the only show I actually made an effort to watch last year. I can't see any basis to describe it as 'Bad TV'.

Cheers, Mark

I'm not generally a TV guy, so take this as you will, but Agent Carter was the only show I actually made an effort to watch last year. I can't see any basis to describe it as 'Bad TV'.

Cheers, Mark

HAs the new season started showing over there yet? If yes, are you enjoying it?