Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Thanks.  

Interesting.  It got introduced, it got sent to committee.......and that's the last anyone's heard of it.  Both Houses, BTW.  

While it's possible something will happen, there isn't much time left.  They don't reconvene until after Labor Day.

https://ballotpedia.org/117th_Congress_legislative_calendar

Scroll down a bit for the week-to-week calendar.

7 hours ago, Lectryk said:

But at least it makes a justice term have a length of no more than a legal generation, that is 18 years.

Classified Material on Human Intelligence Sources Helped Trigger Alarm

Last year, a top-secret memo sent to every C.I.A. station around the world warned about troubling numbers of informants being captured or killed

Dude had hundreds of secret documents, including nuclear and humint information, in his possession, with his own handwritten notes scribbled on them.

3 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Reminds me of a line from The Simpsons--

BILL GATES:  "I didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

13 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Usa Today was talking about all the businesses he forced to close before he got elected. I asked my coworkers who voted for him why would you vote for a guy who won't even tip his server because that is what we are. They said Hillary. I was like You people are dumb as crap, and some of them had regrets and I laughed like the Shadow handing out justice.

CES  

10 hours ago, Pariah said:

"Student loan forgiveness removes one of the most powerful incentives for military service at a time of dangerously low enlistment." 

Seen on the Book of Face today, with the caption "Wait, did I just say the quiet part out loud?"

My son is like Student loans are just a way to enslave people and should not be as high as they are. I do not know where he got that from, but he didn't get it from me.

CES

Trump's team told ICE officials to wipe all data from their phones before leaving their jobs, report says

Trump-era immigration officials scrubbed work-related information from their cell phones just before leaving office, a practice watchdog group American Oversight is raising the alarm about, following similar reports about widespread data wiping at the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and the US Secret Service.

"We cannot stand by as agency after agency admits that it destroys public records," American Oversight executive director Heather Sawyer told CNN, adding that text messages "often contain crucial information on what federal employees are doing and why they are doing it."

"The obligation to retain these records is not optional — it is the law," Sawyer said in a statement.

American Oversight is seeking information from former Trump administration Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials Thomas Homan, Matthew Albence, and Ronald Vitello regarding a criminal case involving Massachusetts state Judge Shelley M. Richmond Joseph. Joseph has been charged with helping an undocumented immigrant evade the law.

CNN reports that ICE Chief Technology Officer Richard Clark told American Oversight he couldn't provide any related emails or text messages because Homan, Albence and Vitello's phones had all been wiped clean and deactivated. American Oversight contends that the scrubbing was done after the group put in a request to review the records in 2019.

From NYT email about DeSantis and Florida:

Tuesday’s primary didn’t have big-name Republicans on the ballot, so DeSantis got involved in school board races. These are traditionally nonpartisan and sleepy. But he endorsed 30 candidates, and he campaigned for them. And he succeeded: So far, 20 of his endorsed candidates have won outright, and five are going to runoffs.

This is an example of trying to turn the state red — not just at the top level, but by starting at the bottom. That builds the bench of candidates who will back him as they go on to make their own political careers. It’s leaving a longer-lasting legacy of the policies and politics he espouses. School board decisions affect parents’ and their children’s lives on a daily basis by deciding what will be in school curriculums.

This is why, IMO, the modern far right is so much more of a threat.  They're not simply imposing from the top, they're also strengthening the roots.

10 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

I first read this as "In rare move, school librarian fights back in court against conservative archivists," which I was thinking would make a cool action movie. Nicolas Cage would star, of course.