Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Personally, I've found with guys who shake your hand aggressively, if you use your middle finger to tickle the palm of his hand, it makes him jump like a snake bit him.

And when Trump pulls someone toward him while shaking hands, I'd pay money to see some guy move all the way forward and plant a big kiss on his lips, just to see Trump's reaction.  Extra money if he dips the Prez during the kiss.  "I'm sorry, Mr. President, I thought that's what you were going for."

They repealed the rule against mentally handicapped people owning a gun.

CES 

Good. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

From the linked article:

Under the rule, which the Obama administration made permanent on its way out the door, Social Security beneficiaries with psychiatric disabilities who are assigned a money manager for their disability benefits would be reported to the FBI’s background check database as people ineligible to purchase firearms.

The article elaborates, and I agree it's a bad rule.

I doubt it. Trump will blame any economic decline on scapegoats while making dramatic but substantively trivial gestures like the one he pulled with Carrier to reassure his base that he's fighting for the little guy. His base, living in their ever-expanding Alt Right media bubble, will swallow that swill and cheer for more at the Nurembergian Rallies he's planning on holding throughout his presidency. If facts mattered to his base they wouldn't have voted for him in the first place.

And remember that the demographic that tipped the scales for him are people who once had dignity but who have now lived for over a generation in economic misery. The life expectancy of working class white men has actually fallen due to diseases of despair like suicide and addiction. These are people who are seething with psychological trauma, who have been denied decent educations, who have for years been shamed by prominent liberal pundits for their supposed ignorance and stupidity, and who are overflowing with an agony-powered hatred. That hatred simply can't be quelled by critical thinking any more than yoga can alleviate the pain of a broken leg.

What the Alt Right and Trump offer is a political narrative that gives that pain an easily understandable and rapturously cathartic ideological form. Thus far, liberals have been unable to even speak to that pain in a language Trump's base can resonate with. Liberals speak to the deliberative left side of people's brains, while Trump speaks to the intuitive right. Liberals speak in philosophy, while Trump speaks in mythology. If you want to speak to people's pain, you have to speak to the right hemisphere in the mythological language it can hear, and that language isn't a language of facts.

Another thing to consider is Trump's approval low or not, it might be higher than the approval ratings of everything that is opposing him at the moment.  The media war with him (or his war with the media, it's become a chicken and egg thing) hasnt helped people's opinions of the media.  Some of the protestors actions over the last few months have made a large section of people think of them as a 3 year old having a temper tantrum on a good day, a disturbingly violent presence on a bad one (regardless of how few those undesireable elements might be) it doesnt look good to go around destroying s*** for not getting your way.  Celebrities should just shut the f*** up, because everything they say on the matter is downright silly (but what else is new). 

Anyway, point is, even if your approval rating is 2%, if all your enemies' are 1%, it might not matter a lot.  I guess I am a bit frustrated, I've continued to hope the left could rally themselves and become a voice of reason.  And I have been driven to utter disappointment.  Everyday get turned into a "who can be the craziest" contest.   And Trump doesn't win as consistently as you would expect.

On a side note, realizing the millennials will be the leaders in my golden years, hasn't filled me with hope in my future retirement.

Edit: The one thing I will give Trump credit for.  He has always seemed to be good at preying on his enemies weaknesses.  And apparently, the media falls for it like a cat on a laser pointer.