Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

The first stories I saw on CNN and BBC had to explain the origin of the phrase so I understood why I was supposed to be offended. 

When I was walking around Canada as a teen I had someone pass me by raising his fist, shaking it, and cheering 'rahowah!'  I cheerfully responded back.

It look me years later to understand he was chanting for a racial holy war.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

The first stories I saw on CNN and BBC had to explain the origin of the phrase so I understood why I was supposed to be offended. 

There's the other consideration of course.  They were asking black people whether it was OK to be white.  At least some of them would take it in the really weird way.  Which is to say "It's OK for them, the black people to be "white"."

5 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

This could go in the coronavirus thread, but there's politics...blah blah blah, "just" Montana blah blah blah, longshot

Republicans Want to Ban People Vaccinated for COVID From Donating Blood

1st thought Please don't be Tennessee, please don't be Tennessee

Okay, not Tennessee (for once), but still painfully stupid.

7 minutes ago, Dr.Device said:

I've got to say, it sucks that it's likely that by the end of this year I won't be able to drive across this country without fear of arrest, just for existing. 

I never cared much for the republican party, but I deeply hate it's current incarnation.

It's okay, they hated you first.

Also I'm pretty sure you already can't drive across the country.

I may have mentioned this before but my team recently hired a new analyst, a girl who literally had to flee Texas for California because she's trans.  Texas' loss and our gain, though I'm a little resentful that she's better at our job than I am.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

The root problem here, tho, is extremely difficult to address:  the media partisanship, which isn't merely philosophical, it's become entrenched and, as the Fox election fraud story is showing, deliberately driven for profit.  The article calls out "simplistic caricatures"...which is an error both sides make.  But in the information overload age, it's hard to do anything else.

Getting different sides to talk is at least an important part of the solution...but it's VERY hard to do on a large scale.

22 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Getting different sides to talk is at least an important part of the solution...but it's VERY hard to do on a large scale.

Particularly when the media makes money on the very opposite of that thing.  Literally eroding the country for cash... which is a thing we've seen in many other venues, this is just one more of them...

As the dog in question is carrying a handgun without a FSC, and doesn’t have a reduced capacity magazine, that’s two law violations in CA. Now if the dog is not the legal owner of the firearm (likely some dogs do not have recognized property rights), the firearm owner might face charges around the safe storage of the firearm depending on whether there are children around.

Later this year, the presence of the firearm is likely illegal if this is a public space (due to the impending “sensitive spaces” bill).

So while California doesn’t have a required carry permit, fear not. We have plenty, PLENTY, of regulation in this area to cover it.

11 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

As the dog in question is carrying a handgun without a FSC, and doesn’t have a reduced capacity magazine, that’s two law violations in CA. Now if the dog is not the legal owner of the firearm (likely some dogs do not have recognized property rights), the firearm owner might face charges around the safe storage of the firearm depending on whether there are children around.

For the non-Americans, what is FSC ?

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

For the non-Americans, what is FSC ?

Sorry, that’s California specific. Firearms Safety Certificate 

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf

You require one of these to purchase a handgun, which the dog apparently did. Unless he/she/they acquired it through a lineal intrafamilial transfer from their parent, grandparent or child or inherited it? Either of those are registered with the Department of Justice.

Ammunition purchase is a separate thing. Just focusing on the dog carrying a handgun currently.

I also am unsure if that is an approved firearm from the California roster approved for sale. And you cannot see if it has a threaded barrel, which is a major crime.