Unpopular Opinion Challenge

33 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I still fail to see how this specific reason makes the movie irredeemably bad.  YMMV.

That's because it doesn't make it irredeemably bad. It's a reason why the movie didn't age well for me, but it's probably done better in that regard than something like Rising Sun. I can at least enjoy watching Johnny Mnemonic. As you say, YMMV.

I thought I had an easy pick with one of my faves, Josie and the Pussycats, but it turns out it's at 52/53% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

So I'll throw out a movie that got so little notice it hasn't even achieved a rating on RT. 2003's Scorched. John Cleese, Woody Harrelson, Alicia Silverstone, and Rachel Leigh Cook combined couldn't save this flick from going straight to video and into obscurity, and I love the stupid thing.

31 minutes ago, bigbywolfe said:

I thought I had an easy pick with one of my faves, Josie and the Pussycats, but it turns out it's at 52/53% on Rotten Tomatoes. 

So I'll throw out a movie that got so little notice it hasn't even achieved a rating on RT. 2003's Scorched. John Cleese, Woody Harrelson, Alicia Silverstone, and Rachel Leigh Cook combined couldn't save this flick from going straight to video and into obscurity, and I love the stupid thing.

Amazon Prime Video has it. and they've got it rated at 3.9 out of 5. I'll add it to my watchlist.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, Trencher said:

Critic reviews dont count its unpopular opinions. Its what opinion the main population have that makes it popular or unpopular.

Do anyone really care about critics anyway?

I find a really low tomatometer reading actually is a reliable indicator that I won't like it.  25% or less that is.  

I think that the reliability of Rotten Tomatoes has suffered in recent years by people pushing or attacking something merely based on politics.  Now you don't get an honest quality read, you get some kind of "does this enhance my narrative or not" judgment all too often.

On 8/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, Hermit said:

Ok. Here's one...

Speed Racer  (2008, 40% on RT)

I think folks saw the name Wachowski  attached to it and figured it would be some uber serious Matrix movie but with the IP layered on thin like make up. Instead, it was true to the source material, kid friendly, and fun. A visual treat , not just with bright lights, but scene swaps that harkened to the old japanimation (IIIRC).

And with elements of the classic hero's journey. In the end, Speed Racer's innocence is tested, but he makes it through with his integrity intact thanks to support from friends and family and a never say die attitude.

Racer X  was played beautifully by Matthew Fox and I swear the guy screamed superhero material in all the right ways.

And the state of ninja quality decay is mentioned in movie!

I'm going to say this... this movie achieved what it was trying to, it stayed close to the source material, and it looked great doing it. It is a GOOD movie!

There, that's probably unpopular with some :)

I love this movie. The first 10 - 15 minutes is amazing example of editing. You get the whole complete mythology of Speed Racer during his run to beat his brother's time record. Amazing storytelling.

On 8/6/2019 at 3:34 PM, mattingly said:

I agree with them on Mars Attacks, Tank Girl, Hackers, Johnny Mnemonic, Stargate, Hudsucker Proxy, Men in Tights, and Heart and Souls.

Especially Hudsucker Proxy! It's my favorite Coen Brothers film, which is a very difficult spot to get.

Hudsucker is also my favorite Coen film. Hilarious!

Coen Bros films that I've seen - ranked

1.  Raising Arizona

2.  O Brother, Where Art Thou

3.  Big Lebowski

4.  True Grit

5.  Hudsucker Proxy

6.  Fargo

7.  Bridge of Spies

8.  No Country For Old Men

9.  Suburbicon

10.  Intolerable Cruelty

7000.  Hail, Caesar!

If you throw The Ballad of Buster Scruggs in there, its gotta be top five.

Burn After Reading was pretty disappointing.

Also you didn't list Blood Simple and The Man Who Wasn't There or the Ladykillers.  I haven't seen The Man, so I can't comment on it, but I really liked Blood Simple and The Ladykillers was all right.

I thought of another one I enjoyed.

Power Rangers (2017)

Okay, there's one gag they didn't need to do...and it wasn't the Krispy Kreme product placement overload... honest to gosh  that was so over the top I honestly thought the director was poking fun at the biz

I don't think it's 'so bad it's good' though it skirts that... it has some truly bold character choices. You want diversity? Hello the first self professed Lesbian superhero on the big screen that I know of. 

You want sterotypes broken? The black guy loves country music... though I'm sure the fact he's autistic AND a Country music lover is totally coincident and not a dig.

It's not for little kids...but it was a 'fun flick' .

Mind you, it was no Speed Racer.

But I liked it. 

On 8/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, Starlord said:

Coen Bros films that I've seen - ranked

1.  Raising Arizona

2.  O Brother, Where Art Thou

3.  Big Lebowski

4.  True Grit

5.  Hudsucker Proxy

6.  Fargo

I rank Hudsucker above Arizona and Brother, and maybe Fargo a noodge higher, but that's a darned good listing

I do recommend watching The Man Who Wasn't There.

3 hours ago, mattingly said:

I rank Hudsucker above Arizona and Brother, and maybe Fargo a noodge higher, but that's a darned good listing

Sir, there are storm drains I rate higher than either of those movies.  :/  Though Fargo at least had Macy in it, who I _always_ enjoy, even at his worst.

The rest of the list isn't too bad, though. 

Yeah; I know: Raising Arizona and Fargo are, for reasons I am completely unable to see, are absolutely beloved movies.  They just didn't do it for me.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, Jeffrywith1e said:

I was surprised to see Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was at a  54% on Rotten Tomatoes. Seemed high. 

I love the movie more and more each time I watch it. I believe its my 2nd favorite of the series now.

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome rates nearly the same. Also one of my favorites.

For what its worth,  I enjoy Crystal Skull more than Temple of Doom.