Songs that Saved you/Kept you sane/meant a lot to you

Hermit

A post by Cygnia got me thinking of those songs that , whatever the musician may or may not have meant them to be, came like a life line.... I imagine some have quite a few, and others only a few. Whether you're just going through hell, angry and helpless, or wondering where the hope went- the right music can be powerful and personal.

No need to say why, but this thread is to list which songs that helped you hold out or even gave you a metaphysical hand up.

One for me....

I'm told it's used for Parks and Recreations... but that's not how I came to know this one. It instead came to me at a time when it looked like I was helpless to help some loved ones.. that still happens a lot, but this song promises something.

Before that, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, was Luka by Vega... this is not a hopeful song, but sometimes , even when circumstances aren't as bad as in the song, you want someone who seems to "get it."

I got more but those two stand out.

Anyone else?

Ages and Ages - Divisionary (Do the Right Thing)

"Do the right thing, do the right thing.

Do it all the time, do it all the time.

Make yourself right, never mind them.

Don’t you know you’re not the only one suffering."

Spottiswoode and His Enemies – I’m Back Up

"I read my name, and the following lines:

‘Get out, get out. Get away from here.

Don’t look back. Have no fear.’

So I walked away, pace by pace,

’til I felt the sunlight lick my face."

King - Unity Song

"They can’t take away what you are."

INXS - Dancing on the Jetty

"Watch the world argue, argue with itself. Who’s gonna teach me peace and happiness?"

Video links here:

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

A post by Cygnia got me thinking of those songs that , whatever the musician may or may not have meant them to be, came like a life line.... I imagine some have quite a few, and others only a few. Whether you're just going through hell, angry and helpless, or wondering where the hope went- the right music can be powerful and personal.

No need to say why, but this thread is to list which songs that helped you hold out or even gave you a metaphysical hand up.

One for me....

Before that, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, was Luka by Vega... this is not a hopeful song, but sometimes , even when circumstances aren't as bad as in the song, you want someone who seems to "get it."

I got more but those two stand out.

Anyone else?

If you’ve really got a thing for this song,  you’re gonna either love me or hate me for this.

I saw her do this song from about six feet away at the Park St. station subway stop about a million years ago when she was still just a street singer back in Boston.  It hit me like a ton of bricks then and then years later when I heard it on the radio I was so happy she made it big.

My wife died a little over 10 years ago, and it hit me hard. I didn't really sleep for about three days, and didn't listen to any music. The third night, however, I had a dream. I was surrounded in a bright, white mist, and I heard her voice tell me that it was her time, that it wasn't my time, that I had things I needed to do, and that she wouldn't be able to visit me again. I woke up, completely at peace, and then was able to get some restful sleep. The next morning, I went to my computer, and started playing the random mix that was queued in my music player. This was the first song that played:

I am generally a pretty stable kind of guy.  I had never really had any real emotional crises in my life that the music I listened to really provided support or encouragement.  Music for me was more about sharing who I was as a person.  Until I realised my life had changed.  I was no longer one of the young ones, no longer thinking about growing a career, had almost finished raising a son, had a decent salary and was coming close to owning my home outright and my marriage was comfortable but no longer an exciting adventure.  I think I was on the verge of being depressed as I suddenly realised my ideas for the future were all about things that were behind me, I had no personal ambitions for the future and my job was not likely to provide more advancement in responsibility or salary.

I think I was on the verge of depression.  That WAS a new experience but not a welcome one and not something I was equipped to deal with.

I found myself listening to Misplaced Childhood, the whole album repeatedly, and feeling better on the other side.  It slowly dawned on me that I was, for the first time, engaging with that album as relating to my life rather than just as a bit of music.  I realised that it was telling me that my childhood self, that happy forward-looking person, was still there IF I wanted to look for it.  That there was no reason I was locked into the future that my past self hoped and planned for.  That it was still possible to look forward, to have new hopes and ambitions and to approach the world with the same childlike (rather than childish) outlook that I used to have.

I am feeling much better now.  I still get emotional listening to the album, it means an awful lot more to me now, as a 54 year old man than it did to the 20 year old student who excitedly bought it months before going to see the band in concert.  I do not think I could possibly pick one track over any of the others.

Doc

PS: The irony is that my wife actively hates the album so I need to play it when I am alone in the car... 🙂

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

I found myself listening to Misplaced Childhood, the whole album repeatedly, and feeling better on the other side.  It slowly dawned on me that I was, for the first time, engaging with that album as relating to my life rather than just as a bit of music.  I realised that it was telling me that my childhood self, that happy forward-looking person, was still there IF I wanted to look for it.  That there was no reason I was locked into the future that my past self hoped and planned for.  That it was still possible to look forward, to have new hopes and ambitions and to approach the world with the same childlike (rather than childish) outlook that I used to have.

I was introduced to Marillion by a friend who went missing in the 90s. I like all the Fish fronted material and I got to see them live after a bit of a hiccup, the original concert was cancelled due to illness. He Knows You Know was on Top of the Pops and that was my first introduction to the band.

The really bizarre thing is I had two concerts cancelled in a row and then a I thought a third would follow as Siouxsie ans the Banshees were on tour promoting Tinderbox when Siouxsie suffered an injury. I came back from work and put the radio on and heard the news. 'Great' I thought. But Siouxsie rang in and said she would be going on stage that night. I raced across London and caught the gig which was the first time I saw them live. This was at the .Hammersmith Odeon. I felt so up afterwards that I tried to get tickets for the Royal Albert Hall gig and took my brother to see them. The band have remained my favourite.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

So that other people know what we are talking about, first the stand out track from Misplaced Childhood

And the track that got me interested in the first place

I was introduced to Fish through two friends from high school. Erica pointed me to the Tony Banks album, Soundtracks, with the Tony Banks/Fish track, "Shortcut to Somewhere", and Kirk introduced me to Marillion with Script for a Jester's Tear (and a lot of other Prog Rock). With the exception of a version of the album, Internal Exile, much of the Fish catalog wasn't released in the US, and I would scour the import sections of CD shops for albums before the days of easy ordering through the Internet.

My friend Kirk unfortunately passed away a few years ago. Erica and I parted after college, when she briefly dated someone else, and I finally decided to move on. The song I most associate with that was this one: