Coronavirus

Steve

7 hours ago, Trencher said:

Hopefully things will improve soon.

Barring vaccines or effective treatment, the degree to which that is possible is constrained by the willingness of the minority to stop being selfish <BLEEP>.

Yesterday was shopping day.  Had reason to stop in Target, as well as the market.  Target has several 2' x 3' signs saying "you MUST wear a mask."  But 3 steps inside the door...a couple 20somethings blithely walking through together, maskless.  A few others scattered around.  The Starbucks inside was open again...that'd been closed for a couple months.  But cripes, people scream and whine and want things to reopen....but can't follow *minimal* rules?  

2 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Barring vaccines or effective treatment, the degree to which that is possible is constrained by the willingness of the minority to stop being selfish <BLEEP>.

Yesterday was shopping day.  Had reason to stop in Target, as well as the market.  Target has several 2' x 3' signs saying "you MUST wear a mask."  But 3 steps inside the door...a couple 20somethings blithely walking through together, maskless.  A few others scattered around.  The Starbucks inside was open again...that'd been closed for a couple months.  But cripes, people scream and whine and want things to reopen....but can't follow *minimal* rules?  

I'm OCD enough to get miffed at people going the wrong way at the grocery store.

Took my wife and daughter to Dairy Queen yesterday afternoon.  All three of us wore masks, did the social distancing thing.  And while all of the DQ employees were wearing masks, I was surprised at the number of people in line to order or those waiting for their orders who were without masks.  Maybe 1 in 4 had a mask - including one family where the mom wore a mask but her husband and two kids didn't.  Also noticed that the outdoor seating at the restaurant next door was full up, with tables as close together as they were pre-COVID.  Same thing with outdoor seating at the Beer Grotto to the other side of DQ.  

38 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Our local DQ is only open for the drive-thru. Even with local permission to do so, they still haven't opened the dining area back up.

Our DQ doesn't have inside dining, just a few tables outside (that are fixed in place, but they're already far enough apart to not be a problem).  Most people just walk to the park across the street to eat their ice cream. 

21 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

What was the point of a multi-month shutdown if hospitals weren't going to ramp up ICU capacity to handle cases for when we re-opened?

I heard they did - at least at the hospital someone I know is connected to.  They converted everything they could, but... hospitals aren't meant to hold multiple people for ~2 weeks, especially not lots of people.

And there hasn't been exactly a serious effort in this country to try and increase our ability to handle these spikes through better preparation and supply production.  Though maybe I'm mistaken.

IIRC the nationwide  bed capacity was around 100k when this all started.  I'm not sure how much additional capacity was added.  I do know that the point of the lockdown was to make more ventilators, stockpile PPE, find ways to reduce contagiousness, and maybe find an effective treatment.  Pretty sure that none of that happened at the federal level, and now we're right back to where we were on March 31--exponentially increasing cases with no vaccine or treatment.  If you thought the lockdown was economically damaging, wait'll you see what happens when the pandemic really takes off.

The only real progress that has been made is that peer reviewed studies prove that masks work.  But now the White House and its propaganda arm have turned half the population into anti-maskers.  Buckle up, kids, it's gonna be a rough summer.

Mom told me her senior apartment complex would be locked down through December. Apparently two home workers brought COVID-19 in with them, and a resident tested positive as a result.

Residents can leave to run errands, but are not allowed visitors. The Netflix I set up for her and her daily ritual of performing a song on her balcony in the morning (to an appreciative audience -- Mom is a really good singer and performer) is all that keeps her sane.

My own building is in a vulnerable position. Not only are there a lot of people in the danger class (probably including myself), but the use of effective masks and social distancing is pretty rare. I worry that when COVID-19 hits my building, it will hit hard.