Coronavirus

Steve

What happens if you do nothing?

You look like Manaus.  One in every 500 people die of the virus.  And this is a city which is substantially younger than the US: 6% of pre-pandemic population there was over 60.  In the US, that proportion is 20%.  And older people are MUCH more at risk with this virus.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

What happens if you do nothing?

You look like Manaus.  One in every 500 people die of the virus.  And this is a city which is substantially younger than the US: 6% of pre-pandemic population there was over 60.  In the US, that proportion is 20%.  And older people are MUCH more at risk with this virus.

That's actually much better rate than I would have guessed... but as you say, the US pop is much higher.  It sounds like it would be close to 1% here... literally actually close to the Spanish Flu, but more for the aged.

Though the Spanish Flu had its own lockdown... so coronavirus here without lockdown is close to the Spanish Flu with.  That's all supposition and gross estimation, though... but probably a closer guess than my earlier estimates.

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

120048368_10158733480051894_557803342101

Wyndham City is part of Melbourne. Victoria, and Melbourne in particular, has produced the vast majority of Australia's COVID-19 cases (over 20,000) and deaths (nearly 800), and has endured the most stringent lockdowns as a result.

This includes mandatory mask wearing in public - the only State that has had to implement this.

We actually hit another record high today, according to my favorite local-weather site.  But we're also seeing much sharper cooling...altho I think there was a mild shift, because the high was recorded at 2:10, rather than 4:10.  And I went out to grab the mail shortly after 6;  it'd cooled quite a bit, and didn't feel warm.  Comfortable, absolutely, but not warm, at least for me.  Then again, my cold tolerance is significantly lower than it was 15 years ago.

Not overly looking forward to the weekend, tho;  Fri-Sun, 3 more potential record highs...near triple digits each day.

The good news?  NM Health Department's redone their county-level graphics.  They're showing average cases per day, per 100,000 people, over the last 2 weeks, and positive test results rate for the same period.  We're at 5 cases per 100,000, and 3.4% positive test rate.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

NM?

yeah, I might have a heat stroke there without a mask.  I am. built more for cold (though I am losing ground on cold tolerance since age 40.)

I completely flipped on my tolerance for cold about 5-6 years ago. I used to wear shorts and short sleeves through winter indoors and outdoors unless snow was on the ground.

Now I'm cold if the temp is under 70 degrees F and have to dress in layers to keep from freezing to death.

It was kind of an interesting change for the first year, needing to buy long sleeve shirts and being able to wear them and all. But now it's just a pain in the butt.

Various United States War And Disease Death Tolls ->

400: Gulf War

1,000: Indian Wars

1,900: Desert Storm, 1990-1991

2,300: War Of 1812, 1812-1815

2,400: War in Afghanistan, 2003-

2,400: Spanish-American War, 1898-1902

2,600: Persian Gulf War

3,000: 9/11/2001

4,400: Iraq War, 2003-2010

4,400: Revolutionary War, 1775-1783

13,300: Mexican-American War, 1846-1848

36,600: Korean War, 1950-1953

55,700: Flu/Pandemic, 2017

58,200: Vietnam War, 1964-1975

100,000: 1968 Pandemic

16,000: H2N2 Flu, 1957-1958

116,500: World War 1, 1917-1918

121,400: Alzheimer's, 2017

200,000 (or 67 9/11s): Coronavirus, as of 9/21/2020

405,400: World War 2, 1941-1945

618,200: Civil War, 1861-1865

675,000: Spanish Flu, 1918-1920

Also, to quote DL Hughley from 8/28/2020: "More Americans have died in the last 4 months then any other 4 months in American history! Trump has literally been more deadly then cancer!"

This is long but it will be the best 12.5 minutes of your life if you really want to understand coronavirus in the US.

I'd also note, though the video doesn't, that Smithfield is owned by a Chinese company and exports a significant fraction of their product.

If you'd like to see her original reporting on "what the heck is going on with the CDC" from May 1st, I'll add a link for that. But it took her from May 1 until September 21st to get answers (and she apologized to her staff on-air for being so obsessed with this story that she drove them nuts over these months trying to get information for her). https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/marked-change-in-tone-in-cdc-meat-plant-reports-raises-questions-82911301638

8 minutes ago, archer said:

This is long but it will be the best 12.5 minutes of your life if you really want to understand coronavirus in the US.

Of course.  The political appointees have pulled this BS repeatedly.  It's the same song and dance with the school reopenings, and probably, if we wasted some time trying to remember, any number of other incidents.

15 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Of course.  The political appointees have pulled this BS repeatedly.  It's the same song and dance with the school reopenings, and probably, if we wasted some time trying to remember, any number of other incidents.

Well you kind of expect this from purely political people who are in purely political jobs.

But we aren't used to seeing the CDC throw aside its reputation for professionalism and trustworthiness which it has spent decades accumulating. We knew it was going to be documented how it happened at some point because we could see it happening. But it's still a shock.

I'm glad the underlying science and layers of checks on the work-on-the-ground are still working properly and that it appears that the problem lies only at the top rather than deeper. You can fix problems which are limited to one person. On the other hand, it would have been tough as hell if we would have had to replace everyone in the CDC from top to bottom in order to get trustworthy work from them again.

China is giving vaccines which haven't made it through Phase 3 testing to tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of first responders, pharmaceutical researchers, healthcare workers, nursing home workers, government officials, teachers, and anyone else who might be important for getting the country fully opened up.

Apparently neither the government nor the pharmaceutical companies are doing any monitoring or follow-up to look for adverse reactions.

https://worldnewsera.com/news/business-news/china-gives-unproven-covid-19-vaccines-to-thousands-with-risks-unknown/

Please note that this criticism is not directed at you, Cygnia. You're just the messenger. :)

But this is why I hate headlines, especially modern ones. They're designed to grab people's attention, but they're often misleading in what they leave out, what they emphasize, and/or how they're worded. And too many people don't read much if at all past the headline.

"Outmaneuver" is a very misleading word. Masks and hand-washing are still the most effective ways to prevent the spread of coronavirus. This mutation hasn't found a way to circumvent those measures. The story explains that this particular strain may simply be easier for someone to catch. May. The study cited hasn't even been peer-reviewed yet, and its conclusion is still highly disputable. But that wouldn't be nearly as eye-catching.