Coronavirus

Steve

I've chosen to not wear a mask.  At this point, assuming you're vaccinated, and preferably boosted at least once, I think mask wearing is a matter of personal choice, not so much a social policy concern.  I'd say most masks I see now, are being worn by older folks...that's a high percentage down here.  And sometimes on kids...independent of the parents' wearing one.  

They both make sense.  Older folk are much more likely to have risk factors, and there's no such thing as a minor cold as you age.  Caution is sensible.  With the kids, fine, the risk of serious infection is low...but the consequences are sometimes VERY nasty.  The cost to wear a mask?  Mostly trivial.  The risk/reward equation is HEAVILY tilted.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I've chosen to not wear a mask.  At this point, assuming you're vaccinated, and preferably boosted at least once, I think mask wearing is a matter of personal choice, not so much a social policy concern.

I wear a mask more for fear I may be infected and not know it, and I do not want to be responsible for infecting others.

Since the science is making it ever more clear that covid can cause permanent cardiovascular damage, brain damage, diabetes, and infertility, I mean to continue masking indoors in public for the foreseeable future.  I intend to do my part to prevent transmission of a disease that is literally more contagious than measles.

I personally choose not to wear a mask at this time, except in medical facilities, which still require masks in my state.  I've gotten my jabs and booster (not quite old enough for the second booster).  If someone nearby is masking, I give them what I hope is a respectful amount of space.

I'd go back to wearing a mask full time if I ever get around to building my Imperial stormtrooper armor.

And right on cue, our BA.2 wave is kicking off.  Cases have tripled since last week (the state now only reports case counts weekly), test positivity has skyrocketed to over 9% (after most of the drive-thru testing clinics have shut down; it's practically impossible to get a test on a Sunday), and local epidemiologists report that the real count is probably 7 times the official number (because of the lack of testing and the fact that home tests are not reported).

It's almost what you would expect if you relaxed all protective measures in the face of a virus with an R0 of 12.

The governor responded to this news by holding a press conference to formally surrender to the virus. 

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

A small, almost side story from NYT:  the actual case counts are now probably under-reported...not from political motivation.  At-home testing is growing.  Positive tests from such, are NOT gonna get reported all the time, it's pretty safe to say.

It’s also gotten really hard to get a professional test. The drive-thru testing sites here are only open from 10am to 2pm Monday-Saturday—the ones that haven’t closed completely. 

• 2 weeks later...

Exhausted.  It's aggravating being coerced into going to "family" events Because FAMILY~!

My in-laws (hubby's folks) have been vaxxed & boosted -- but they're in their 70's.  And my 2 brother-in-laws are selfish who vehemently dislike Fauci.