A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I just took the plunge and re-registered at my old college.

I finally realized I left school for the worst reasons... a bad romance.

I had justified it in other ways in my head. We do funny things to ourselves sometimes.

Luckily, I slipped in just before my credits were too old to count anymore.

Now all 156 units are good till 2014. Yippee.

I guess I'll go ahead and finish my degree now :thumbup:

And a happy Lithia to all! :cheers::celebrate

"Holy Heaving Hooters Von D-Man!"

"Stand back Mini-D, I'll handle this wily winesome wench!"

1) I note that Aries and Cancer are both astronomical signs.

2) I note that "Kara" was an Aries and "Rachel" was a Cancer.

3) I note the new poster "Aries" uses the same bouncy supergirl avatar "Kara" did.

4) I note the new poster "Cancer" gravitates towards the same threads "Rachel" gravitated towards going so far as to jump into the compliment thread on their very first day...

5) I note both Aries and Cancer are post RKF members.

Is it coincidence or conspiracy? Hmmmm....

Queue Batman theme song and spinning logo!

Will Von D-Man's thesis prove correct? Is it a nefarious Bittick-esque plot eating at the soft underbelly of herodom assembled? Will PAID in FULL be able to save the NGD in time?

Tune in next week for another exciting episode of Jumping at Shadows! Same Von-time! Same Von-channel!

I have a university exam tomorrow. Thanks to my assignment marks, I need a mere 43 out of 170 to pass the subject. And I'm nervous as hell because I understood very little of the subject, in spite of my results to date, and I struggled mightily with the practice exam papers - and that was without a time limit!!

I'm highly tempted to go resurrecting a thread that's been dead for about a year, but the laugh I'd get out of it wouldn't be worth all the people who have to read 6 pages of posts a second time.

But it IS pretty funny. I'm talking about the "Is sex really that good?" thread. The funniest part is on the last page.

Before reading this story: "Kush" means "Kiss" in Hebrew (and Yiddish); and Abba means "Father; Daddy."

Another story of Bat-Sheva (my two year old) and Etzem (our kitten). Bati decided she was going to go to the bathroom this afternoon and went in, got on her stool, pulled off her panties and got ready to sit. Apparently the Etzem thought it would be fun to take a swipe at her bum because she comes running out bare-bottomed with her hands on her bottom screaming "Kitty scratch me! Kitty scratch me!" So I ask: "Did kitty scratch your tuches?" Bati announces "Yes!" and then turns around, bends over, and says, in all earnestness: "Abba: Kush!"

My facial hair is getting rather large and unruly. I had hoped to get it Santa Claus big, you know, for Halloween, but the mustache is starting to interfere with eating. Considering how much I eat, that's a lot of interference! Eh, it's pro'ly not gonna work, anyway. My beard is curly, and I need it fairly straight. *sigh*

It never flippin' fails. Anytime that HBO, Cinemax or one of the other premium cable channels has a free preview period - all they show is crap, or movies you've already seen three times. :mad:

As told to myself:

I was at this corner

it felt like

the same corner I'd been at before

and I heard this music

and I remembered being at this same corner

at another city and another time

when I was younger

dancing up and down with the music

with the traffic and the people around

and now I only stand here

Remembering that I had done this and

none of the feeling is left

The Three Laws of Stupidynamics

First Stupidity Theorem: The probability of predicting correctly in total ignorance is zero.

Second Stupidity Theorem: The only thing you can learn is something you don't know.

Third Stupidity Theorem: You can't tell a man something he doesn't understand and expect him to make use of it.

Thanks to Dr. Wayne Batteau, Harvard Speculative Society

From Astounding Science-Fiction, July 1953, p. 151 (vol 51, number 5)

N.B.: this item is not listed in the issue's table of contents. It appears as a space filler on the last page of the final installment of Hal Clement's "Mission of Gravity" in that issue.

The very same day I'm bragging about what a good cat my Herc is, he goes and barrels through the screen on the window, gets outside and vanishes. I lost an hour of work because I went home to look for him!

The little brat . . .

He's still about, but apparently skittish. We put out some tuna, and he scarfed that down. But he ran away when Josh went outside to retrieve him.

Grrrr. BAD kitty.

1. While sitting at your desk, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air with your right hand. Your foot will change direction. I told you so .....And there's nothing you can do about it.

Nothing to say. It all sounds like either bragging or whining. The reality is that it is merely there. It just exists. It can't be good or bad, wrong or right, until an outside entity puts a value to it.

I am applying no value to any of it until I get a grip on it. I suppose you could say I am waffling.

Waffling. Waffles. Now, that's good.

Oh Bazza dear heart.

I showed you a modicum of decency and respect in light of the Australian Cricket teams performance and what do I get in return ?

A hooray henry jibe about how pathetic England are when you only manage a 57 run win. So be it.

I want all the information you have on Zornwil. What he's doing, where he's going and what he's been upto. Then when you've told me everything you know, I want you to tell him everything you just told me. I want him to know that I know. I want him to know I want him to know.

And I want him to know the extent of my mercy when he sees your deformed body. And I want you both to know you'll soon be as defunct as Formula 1 racing in America.

I'm taking a couple extra days off, probably won't be around for 5 days or so.

vist my father in law, go fishing...

It is amazing I commute about 70 miles a day, my wife around 90(we do carpool) My father in law is only about 130-140 miles away, but we only go see hiim about twice a year.

It doesn't make sense, really.

time, money, and old, unreliable cars I guess.

http://www.buzzmachine.com

Stuck in the fringes' tug of war: We're the rope

: I just read a longer excerpt of the Rove screed in the NY Post and here's the real problem: He is doing precisely what he is accusing the other side of doing. He says:

"Has there ever been a more revealing moment than this year. when the Democratic senator, Democrat Richard Durbin, speaking on the Senate floor, compared what Americans have done to prisoners in our control in Guantanamo with what was done by Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot — three of the most brutal and malevolent figures of the 20th century?"

Let me put in this in really simple terms. Al Jazeera now broadcasts the words of Sen. Durbin to the Mideast, certainly putting our troops in greater danger. No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals.

OK, Rove, and now your remarks are being repeated all over the world to show how we are at war with ourselves.... and not with the enemy.

And, Rove, you whine when Howard Dean calls Republicans all a bunch of white Christians (said perjoratively, which causes this white Christian a moment's pause). Yet you turn around and call all liberals a bunch of terrorist sympathizers (which causes this liberal hawk a moment's pause as well).

You're both wrong. Your all wrong. You think you're going to win at the edges because that's the way the game is played today. But you have lost the middle.

The NY Times' op-ed graphic illustrates the point, uh, graphically today. It shows that the number of moderates in Congress -- not in the nation, mind you, but in Congress -- has greatly reduced because:

"The differences are attributable to the emergence of the permanent campaign, the rise of partisan news media and, most of all, changes in Congressional redistricting. The expansion in the number of “safe†seats in the House that began in the 1980’s has put an increased importance on primaries, which favor more ideological candidates. A number of these sharp-edged representatives have then moved to the Senate, where they have helped widen the partisan gulf we have talked about — and now can see."

The system is as broken as the American auto and airline industries. It's time for a political restructuring. It's time for a revolt of the middle. Right now, the middle is simply revolted at "leaders" such as these.