What is a food you hate, but everyone else seems to love?

Starlord

Mayonnaise.

I am apparently the only Caucasian that doesn't want that near anything I eat. Folks tell me I can just wipe it off with a napkin or add some ketchup or mustard to 'cover it up' nope. Still taste it it. And it's gross.

Ironically, I also can't tolerate sour cream save in the smallest doses.

I don't like mayonnaise, though I do like Miracle Whip.  

Count me in the "don't really like yogurt" camp as well.  The same with sushi, though that's probably because I just don't like fish.  

Onions.  Can't stand them in salads or on burgers. though I can handle them okay cooked into certain dishes, and actually like them on grilled brats.  (That's the sausage, not obnoxious kids.)

For the longest time, I couldn't stand microwave popcorn.  This stems from my freshman year at college, where a housemate used to put popcorn in the microwave, set it for far too long... and then promptly forget about it.  He burned so much popcorn that I started to associate the smell of popcorn with the sure-to-come acrid smoke.

Don't like Miracle Whip either.

And I guess I'm in on the Yogurt and Sushi train as well. I don't have the same gross out rejection I do for Mayo /Sour Cream, but I don't like it. I've tried four kinds of sushi, best I get is "I can tolerate this but have no interest"

Not on the 'eat' list (In most states) but on the beverages? I cannot understand the obsession with coffee. The smell isn't bad, but I hate the taste. I have tried it with sugar and cream to soften it, but honestly no. Of all my dislikes, this is the one that has cost me the most in social circles. Coffee drinkers do not understand people who do not like coffee. Some have tried to assure me I just need the right type etc etc. the right blend. They are wrong. And I got flack at the office of yester year because I really didn't care whether there was fresh coffee or not. You would have thought I had let the sacred fire die and the white walkers were going to kill us all now, thanks to my neglect.

Horseradish.  Of any variety.  

There's no such thing as 'basic' chili;  there are innumerable variations...but nothing I'd call chili comes from Cincinnati.  Chili must first feature chiles and/or chili/chile powder.  Cincinnati chili has far too many other spices to assert that.  (Note:  chili powder is a spice blend.  Chile powder is ground, dried chiles.)  The chiles you choose will make a huge difference.

Not a fan of raw onion, like Bolo, but cooked?  Love em.  A favorite omelet or frittata filling is mushrooms and onions baked in the oven, just drizzled with salt (important...helps release the water) and oil, and tossed several times.  Takes a while to get everything reduced.  Also works with chicken...pound a chicken breast flat, add this as a filling with some cheese.  Or cut the flattened breast in half, cover one half with the filling, cover that with the other.  Flip once while it's in the oven.

May's fine in egg salad, but it doesn't need much...and otherwise, I'll pass too.

If you guys don't like sushi, that's ok, I'll eat yours for you.  When I can get something decent anyway.

5 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Coffee drinkers do not understand people who do not like coffee. 

Oh, we understand you perfectly, you poor, crippled, unwashed barbarians.  

Can't stand the taste of coffee whether as a beverage, an ice cream, a jelly bean, or anything else. I end up retching for a really long time if I happen to get anything with that flavor. The smell of it brewing is pleasant though. I grew up using tea as a coffee substitute. But I'll say that I was never hooked on tea to the extent most people seem to be addicted to coffee.

Not fond of Miracle Whip but if someone put it on my sandwiches for a picnic, I'd eat the sandwiches rather than go hungry or try to scrape it off.

Really dislike the flavor of ginger. (And, no, I haven't tried Mary Ann.)

When I was a kid, I didn't like fresh cucumbers, fresh tomatoes or fried fish (real fish, not processed fish sticks). In my mid-20's, I learned to like tomatoes and fish. But I also discovered that they tend to upset my stomach so I probably had some episode as a kid which turned me off to them.

In my mid-50's, I learned to like fresh cucumbers in limited amounts.

Orange juice upsets my stomach really badly. I can drink some if I have to in order to keep from passing out, but that's about it. Also orange juice peels off the surface layer of the inside of my mouth every time I drink some. Apparently, I'm susceptible to acid.

I ate a bite of raw trout one time. It wasn't terrible but I didn't see the point in eating it that way. That's the limit of my personal experience with eating raw fish. 

As for things from the water which are cooked, I learned to my regret that frog legs imported from Bangladesh are nothing like frog legs which are imported fresh from Louisiana. The meat was tough, black, and oily with a fish oil smell. I couldn't believe I was served something that rank and inedible in a restaurant. I was expecting a light color of meat close to the color of a cooked chicken breast, meat that was tender, and no rank fishy oil trapped in the interior of the meat.

Mac and cheese out of the dreaded blue box.  <shudder>  When I went off to college my folks and siblings rejoiced, because they would happily eat that dayglo orange toxic waste.  I wouldn't even come to the table for it.  (Homemade mac and cheese made with real cheese, no problem for me at all.)

Herbal teas, hot or cold.  Nope, don't see the point.  I'm with Picard about teas: "Tea, Earl Grey, hot".  End of statement.  Conditional exception: I do like "sweet tea" in the environment in which one can find it, but I think being embedded in the hot-humid environment is what makes it good (that isn't something I have tested, however).  I have at times speculated on possible alternate parentage scenarios for my daughter, who has nearly filled an entire d***ed cupboard with different varieties of teas.

Lobster.  Do not see the point.  I admit that being on the northern corner of the Left Coast, I have ready access to a superior allied foodstuff, Dungeness crab.

About things others have mentioned: 

I'm OK with coffee, but I am not a coffee snob (other Seattleites spurn me).  I am offended by paying several dollars for a cup.  As an effective, safe, self-limiting caffeine delivery device, it's OK.  I admit that I did not start drinking coffee until I started spending multiple all-nights in a row observing on big telescopes, when the caffeine part became professionally required.

Jarred mayo I find tolerable as long as it's applied with a light hand.  Fresh hand-made mayo is a completely different experience, something I've liked the few times I've had it.

I've had enough sushi & sashimi to know there's a real spectrum in quality (though this goes generally unacknowledged).  Good stuff is great.  Not good stuff is ... not good.

Pizza. It is to do with melted cheese.

I will try most foods. My grandfather was a butcher so I tried many things as a child like beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, goose and duck and the vegetables to go with them.

I am not that fond of steak but I cannot abide kidney so steak and kidney pudding is out.

Then there is Yorkshire Pudding. Loathe it.

And of course Brussel Sprouts. Yuk !

Now Pizza is the only one that (almost) everyone else likes that I do not.

On the seafood:

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/

Go to their Recommendations section.  Over 600 entries on their "avoid" list.  Many of them are due to harvesting issues, but quite a few are for things like fish farms in very dubious rivers or other waters, like this:
https://www.seafoodwatch.org/recommendation/shrimp/shrimp-whiteleg-viet-nam-intensive-pond?species=156

13 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Mac and cheese out of the dreaded blue box.  <shudder> 

You're not supposed to eat it out of the box. It's too crunchy like that.

You're supposed to cook it first using the directions on the box. Then chill it in the refrigerator, covered, for 5-6 hours until it's at whatever temp your fridge is set for.

Then eat it with a fork as a cold snack. (Preferably spearing each noodle through the opening at the end rather than piercing the sides, something which if done, ruins the texture.)

Here is one that is a great seller in most stores -

YELLOW MUSTARD      🤮      😝

It is so easy to find and use in so many places and the foundation in many recipes. There are other forms of this condiment that are great, so mustard itself is not bad. However the common yellow form needs to be removed since it is so bland and unnecessary (and replaced by the other versions of mustard).

20 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Pizza. It is to do with melted cheese.

I will try most foods. My grandfather was a butcher so I tried many things as a child like beef, lamb, pork, chicken, turkey, goose and duck and the vegetables to go with them.

I am not that fond of steak but I cannot abide kidney so steak and kidney pudding is out.

Then there is Yorkshire Pudding. Loathe it.

And of course Brussel Sprouts. Yuk !

Now Pizza is the only one that (almost) everyone else likes that I do not.

I actively crave Brussel sprouts (the vegetable, not the girls from the organization which sells cookies in Europe). 

I never had any until I was in my 30's. My parents couldn't get them to grow in our garden. And if a vegetable didn't grow in our garden, the odds were that I never tasted it.

4 minutes ago, Asperion said:

Here is one that is a great seller in most stores -

YELLOW MUSTARD      🤮      😝

It is so easy to find and use in so many places and the foundation in many recipes. There are other forms of this condiment that are great, so mustard itself is not bad. However the common yellow form needs to be removed since it is so bland and unnecessary (and replaced by the other versions of mustard).

I love mustards.

My wife got irked early in our marriage because at the time I tended to fill the refrigerator with various flavors.

In my defense, I used them.

Coffee. I love the smell of freshly-ground coffee, and I'm good with the smell from a proper coffee machine. I just don't like the flavor.

Until Mom passed away, I tried to spend a week each year in Maine to visit her. Never in that time did I seek out lobster, though I will eat it if it's prepared correctly.

My elementary school years were spent in Florida, and when I think of shrimp, I think of large prawns. The shrimp add-ons at various restaurants just don't interest me.

Count me among the brussell sprout haters.  Can't stand them. 

I also never acquired the taste for coffee, though I love the smell.  (I associate it with my dad, who drank it regularly, so the smell triggers subconscious happy memories.)

Beer.  Can't stand the stuff.  In my 20s I  had two friends who tried desperately to get me to drink beer.  The smell made me gag, and the taste was even worse.  They kept saying, "It's an acquired taste."  I replied, "Why the heck would I want to acquire it?!"

5 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Beer.  Can't stand the stuff.  In my 20s I  had two friends who tried desperately to get me to drink beer.  The smell made me gag, and the taste was even worse.  They kept saying, "It's an acquired taste."  I replied, "Why the heck would I want to acquire it?!"

This. Absolutely this. In fact, I can't stand the taste and smell of any alcoholic beverage and I've tried many. They all taste the same to me. The only exception is that fruity, frozen slushy thing...oh yeah a frozen daiquiri. An old girlfriend got me to try a peach flavored one, and the peach flavor was great, it was just ruined by the alcohol. She kept insisting that "there's hardly any alcohol in it!" Then what was the point of putting it in there in the first place? I'd rather have just the peach flavored slushy/slurpee/icee sans the other crap. She, nor any of my friends at the time could understand it.

Oh, that old "it's an acquired taste" thing is usually only used for stuff that tastes horrible and no one in their right mind would eat/drink except that it's a social convention (caviar comes to mind...yuck!). 

40 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'm a teetotaler. I never thought to list alcoholic beverages.

I hate the smell of regular beer. Mostly experienced at baseball games.

Two years ago, I had a small sip of Redds Apple Ale. My niece was drinking some at the campground and I asked her if she liked it, out of idle curiosity. Next thing I knew, she poured me a small bit in a cup and put it in my hand. 

What the hell, you only live once. So I tasted it. 

Not something I'd want to taste again but none of the flavoring that I would have expected from the smell of regular beer. Which must be a major improvement.

I can't say I don't like alcoholic beverages, mainly because I haven't tried them.

When I took the local paper, I got a great deal of enjoyment reading the wine columnist and educated myself about a previously unknown subject.