Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Storn

Re: Storn's Art & Characters thread.

Most of my layers are multiply. I usually have one layer on top that is my highlight layer. That is set to normal. While I still might keep my brushes less than 100%, this is where I might place a mark of color to cover up something... like a stray pencil line that I don't care for. Or that really bright highlight gleaming off of a rivet... then I might even do that at 100%.

Like in the painting, the rain rivulets are done on a normal layer, with brush and pencil set at probably 75%... that layer sat above all the others, but below the foreground rain layer. Does that make sense?

Perfect. Thank you for taking the time to chat about technique to a complete layman. One of these days when it lets me rep you again I will certainly do so.

Precisely. And I like 'em a lot. They are staying.

Continuing on with "moody" blue color schemes, a recent trend for me. This is for RL, a 7th Sea character with gothic, germanic, batman tendencies.

Darn those Eisen swordsmen. Looks like he could give Posen a run for her drachen though.

Is there a particular story behind why they look like that? Are they supposed to be some type of goggles/monocles/glasses or are they actually his eyes?

What is your intepertation? Doesn't really matter what I know.

but if you insist... they are "nightvision" goggles. I just wanted to do something different than the hundred or so goggles I've drawn in the last few years. I originally tried more broad, sandstorm looking goggles... and didn't like the way they looked on his face, I made round circles... liked it, moved on.

• 2 weeks later...
Continuing with my blue palette period... a Dire Wolf

DireWolfloRes.jpg

Definately like the composition and mood. But there's something... off... about his forelegs? Like maybe his leg joints are too high, or his forebody too short?

Also, it's obviously not for D&D: D&D dire animals have random spiky bits added for extra kewlness.

Back to superheroes... back to the 70s!!! The client wanted the cheesy kung fu heroine decked out... his name is Golden Phoenix, but I kept thinking Lotus Jones...with a whole lotta waaa waaa peddle; "Her daddy was left behind in korea, her momma was all kinds of chinese kung fu take out... now, she fights crime!!!".Anyway, golden phoenix everyone....

GPhoenixloRes.jpg

What's that on her upper left arm?

The team's crest - a stylised picture of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Because if you're doing a game with cheezy characters who've just turned up from the seventies, it's gotta be set in San Frascisco...:D