DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Nothing interesting there at all.  Random sociopathic gangster type.  Nothing supervillainous there.

OK, this apparently matches the New 52 continuity, but I gotta ask, who cares?

Then again, I'm reading Penguin's current incarnation per New 52, and my feeling about everything they're writing up is...they want me to buy this junk?

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see anyone talking about this, but I wondered if anyone was watching the Gotham Knights on WB. I had forgot about it so missed most of it and haven't started watching unless they replay it. I found the premise funny due to this:

At the same time they were releasing this, they were releasing a Gotham Knights game (a semi sequel to the excellent Arkham Knights series of games). The premise was that Bruce is dead (the start of the game you see his body), apparently killed when the Batcave collapsed in a fight between he and Raz. So, Dick, Barbara, Jason and Tim take over defending Gotham. Own the game but haven't played yet.

So, in the tv series, apparently Bruce is dead and Bruce's adopted son Turner Hayes (you are forgiven if you don't recognize the character as he didn't exist before the series) teams up with the children of some of Batman's enemies (Duela Dent, Harper and Cullen Row, Stephanie Brown, etc) to find out who killed him.

OK, first, why not use Damian as this is exactly the type of thing he would do, using villains children to as vigilantes, why create a whole new character? 2nd, Why not use the 4 characters from the game, unless there is some problem with licensing?

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

OK, first, why not use Damian as this is exactly the type of thing he would do, using villains children to as vigilantes, why create a whole new character? 2nd, Why not use the 4 characters from the game, unless there is some problem with licensing?

I'd assume that last word.  They leave just enough to connect the characters, but it's otherwise a blank slate.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

New Flash trailer dropped and its, like 90% Batman so I think they know where their pull is.  I mean two Ezra Millers is two too many for a movie to begin with, so downplaying that is probably a smart move in terms of marketing.

Yeah, you have to allow that's part of the intent, but that trailer also strongly suggests a multiverse tie-in where they'll do a LOT of reset.  Apparently that's happening *again* in their comics, with this whole Infinite Frontiers.......stuff.  Just looking at the Wikipedia page for it, will DC ever learn anything?  Yet ANOTHER complete retcon/rewrite???  SHEESH!!! 

I got burned out on Feist's Midkemia because every series was Yet Another World-Destroying Threat, and usually involved another continent-wide massive battle.  It got OLD.  For me it killed suspension of disbelief.  DC's approach is worse.  At any time, we go back to Dallas and the start of the final season, wherein the shooting of JR was retconned to be just a dream.  And then we do it again.  And again.  And again.

4 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Just looking at the Wikipedia page for it, will DC ever learn anything?  Yet ANOTHER complete retcon/rewrite???  SHEESH!!! 

I have said before and will again, the retcon works if they actually do a restart. But again, they try to have their cake and eat it too. Either begin again, with no backstory or don't. But everytime they do, they try to retcon WHILE keeping the big event stories (Killing Joke being the biggest to me).

Yeah this is DC's worst disease they keep rebooting everything over and over and over.  Its pathetic.  I guarantee completely that they have lost readers over the years by this crap.  I know they lost me.

Crisis on Infinite Earths really did a wonderful job of fixing their ridiculous disaster of continuity and multiverse woes.  But almost immediately after that, they started to screw it up again, and did another reboot, and another, and another and... you get the idea.

Yes, Crisis caused some confusing problems to arise, but they were much better than redoing the entire universe seven times.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor

Infinite Frontiers collapsed with the firing of Dan Didio. I think there have been ten reboots. There was the original Crisis, Zero Hour, Infinite Crisis, 52. Convergence, Flashpoint, Rebirth, Doomsday Clock, and two more I think revolving around the Dark Metal stuff going on with its villianous Batman.

Infinite Frontiers was the tail end of 5G where all the main heroes like Clark Kent/Superman were replaced by their kids. There was supposed to be a timeline and everything. Dan Didio got fired before that happened.

Geoff Johns is writing a time travel thing where new characters are being introduced as displaced characters like jay Garrick's daughter, Judy.

DC Comics right now is full of fan fiction writers made good so no one knows what the actual continuity right now is except for individual stories, and it's come out I think in Wonder Woman that Shazam has just killed Zeus and made Hera his replacement as the Queen of the Sky.

CES        

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

DC Comics right now is full of fan fiction writers made good so no one knows what the actual continuity right now is except for individual stories, and it's come out I think in Wonder Woman that Shazam has just killed Zeus and made Hera his replacement as the Queen of the Sky.

CES        

Even if you think you know the continuity, it'll be changed within 3-4 years.  Or muddled beyond belief, if all the series are allowed individual takes.

All the more reason to continue ignoring DC...