DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, this one can't really end happily I think. Otherwise why would she turn her back on Man's world for a near century again? My guess...she's going to save the day, but it's going to be bitter sweet at best, and then she'll walk away disillusioned. If we're lucky we get a modern ending with her willing to give  us one more chance.

Oh, this one can't really end happily I think. Otherwise why would she turn her back on Man's world for a near century again? My guess...she's going to save the day, but it's going to be bitter sweet at best, and then she'll walk away disillusioned. If we're lucky we get a modern ending with her willing to give  us one more chance.

And you're still not EiC at DC yet, because...?

Moving the character from World War Two to World War One makes no sense.  It's like when Steven Spielberg thought having the War Machines already buried rather then falling in meteors in his version of War of the Worlds just to make it different. 

Frankly the only fun movie set during World War One was Biggles Adventures in Time.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high here, but I agree that looks like a hell of a movie.

The move to WWI only makes sense from a couple of angles, one practical and one cynical:

1. WWII has been overdone and risks looking like a Captain America rip-off.
  2. WWII had (at least in the eyes of history) a certain moral clarity that is apparently not permitted in the Snydervierse, so they wanted something more depressing and pointless.

Neither makes sense organically in terms of the story, but I can see either or both making sense in Hollywood Logic. [shrug] if the movie just doesn't suck, I'll be willing to overlook a change in venue. And conversely if it's just another DC/WB train wreck, the change in venue will likely be the least of my complaints.

I think it's unlikely that they depict WWI as the morally ambiguous quagmire it was, given that 'Merica vs Germany is so predisposed to be portrayed in American cinema as not ambiguous at all. And there'll be plenty of issues around sexism in the era to bear the slings and arrows of the piece. It would be a delightful surprise if the less than central role of the United States and historical complexity gets a realistic portrayal, rather than a "WWII without Nazi flags, add trench warfare" treatment.

We've seen that WW turned her back on the World of Man at some point in BvS. World War I is perhaps a better motivator for that than WW II, which was much more black and white. That's the main reason I can think of for the change of venue.

I believe you nailed it, PG. Steve Trevor in that trailer isn't exaggerating when he called this, "the War to end all wars." That's one of the ways his contemporaries referred to it. They truly believed modern (for them) warfare had grown so terrible, no nation would ever want to wage a major war again. A whole generation of young men was traumatized by the Great War, those who survived it anyway. Patriotism was deeply stained by the petty greed or fear which fueled much of the conflict. Romanticism over war drowned in the mud of the trenches.

Diana's commentary at the start of this trailer implies that her own idealism was shattered by her experiences in Man's World, the implicit reason for her long absence from world affairs. WWI works better for that purpose than WWII, which at least in hindsight had a moral dimension. If handled right that also has the potential for a more interesting character story, one we haven't seen before in a superhero movie.

I also read that with WW2, the Nazis are so clearly the evil to be vanquished and Wonder Woman's fight ends up being against just one faction of the conflict. Whereas with WW1, there are no clear good guys and bad guys, just misguided leaders and idealistic soldiers; her battle is with all men, not just one faction of them. This makes for a much stronger feminist statement.

Diana's commentary at the start of this trailer implies that her own idealism was shattered by her experiences in Man's World, the implicit reason for her long absence from world affairs. WWI works better for that purpose than WWII, which at least in hindsight had a moral dimension. If handled right that also has the potential for a more interesting character story, one we haven't seen before in a superhero movie.

"Potential" being the key word of course, but I agree.

Did anyone else get the impression that the Amazons had never seen guns before the first fight with the Huns? Maybe I'm reading too much into it (trailers lie...) but that's the impression I got. If so I anticipate a thousand fanboys crying out in rage. But honestly it never made sense to me that the Amazons would have guns, just so they can play bullets & bracelets. So I'm fine with that being something Diana learns to do, rather than something all Amazons are trained in.

Also, is anyone else picturing a post-credits scene where they show the whole movie has been Diana telling her story to Bruce Wayne, ala Stark & Banner at the end of IM3? :snicker:

I believe you nailed it, PG. Steve Trevor in that trailer isn't exaggerating when he called this, "the War to end all wars." That's one of the ways his contemporaries referred to it. They truly believed modern (for them) warfare had grown so terrible, no nation would ever want to wage a major war again. A whole generation of young men was traumatized by the Great War, those who survived it anyway. Patriotism was deeply stained by the petty greed or fear which fueled much of the conflict. Romanticism over war drowned in the mud of the trenches.

This is a good summation. KC has one of the few major WWI memorials in the U.S. for a reason. The Liberty Memorial(coincidentally, it would be a great setting for a comic book fight). It's actually quite dark a memorial, as far as it's theme and layout. It feels more than a little like a combination of a bunker and a tomb inside it.