DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

This is a good summation. KC has one of the few major WWI memorials in the U.S. for a reason. The Liberty Memorial(coincidentally, it would be a great setting for a comic book fight). It's actually quite dark a memorial, as far as it's theme and layout. It feels more than a little like a combination of a bunker and a tomb inside it.

True, but the Liberty Memorial, IMHO, does a wonderful job telling the story of that terrible conflict.  I could spend several days in there just taking it all in.  There really were no good guys/bad guys...well, the memorial does a way better job of telling the story than I ever will.

"Potential" being the key word of course, but I agree.

Did anyone else get the impression that the Amazons had never seen guns before the first fight with the Huns? Maybe I'm reading too much into it (trailers lie...) but that's the impression I got. If so I anticipate a thousand fanboys crying out in rage. But honestly it never made sense to me that the Amazons would have guns, just so they can play bullets & bracelets. So I'm fine with that being something Diana learns to do, rather than something all Amazons are trained in.

Also, is anyone else picturing a post-credits scene where they show the whole movie has been Diana telling her story to Bruce Wayne, ala Stark & Banner at the end of IM3? :snicker:

I agree, there probably will be that post scene, or maybe even scene's bracketing her telling the story - starting and ending. I actually think they could use it to "pick up" Flash and Aquaman, so they keep flashing back to the jet with her telling the story with another person on the plane.

True, but the Liberty Memorial, IMHO, does a wonderful job telling the story of that terrible conflict.  I could spend several days in there just taking it all in.  There really were no good guys/bad guys...well, the memorial does a way better job of telling the story than I ever will.

Yes. I feel its mood actually is a really good point about it. When I first moved to KC, the memorial was not open, and the hill it was one had become a bit seedy. Once it opened again, I was amazed the first time I went inside it, I was just floored.

Did anyone else get the impression that the Amazons had never seen guns before the first fight with the Huns? Maybe I'm reading too much into it (trailers lie...) but that's the impression I got. If so I anticipate a thousand fanboys crying out in rage. But honestly it never made sense to me that the Amazons would have guns, just so they can play bullets & bracelets. So I'm fine with that being something Diana learns to do, rather than something all Amazons are trained in.

That was my impression as well. Diana's expression as the bullet went by (and showing she's fast enough to follow its flight, while Steve Trevor remained immobile in the shot, was a nice touch) was one of surprise and confusion. Had she known what a bullet was beforehand, she'd undoubtedly have blocked it before it hit her sister Amazon, whose (presumed) death plainly shocked her.

It's logical for a society which has remained isolated from the rest of the world for thousands of years to be ignorant of modern weapons. But by the time Diana hits the battlefield she's confident to deal with them; later in the trailer she swats that single bullet aside with casual contempt.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high here, but I agree that looks like a hell of a movie.

The move to WWI only makes sense from a couple of angles, one practical and one cynical:

1. WWII has been overdone and risks looking like a Captain America rip-off.
  2. WWII had (at least in the eyes of history) a certain moral clarity that is apparently not permitted in the Snydervierse, so they wanted something more depressing and pointless.

Neither makes sense organically in terms of the story, but I can see either or both making sense in Hollywood Logic. [shrug] if the movie just doesn't suck, I'll be willing to overlook a change in venue. And conversely if it's just another DC/WB train wreck, the change in venue will likely be the least of my complaints.

Maybe having Wonder Woman in World War One gives Snyder the chance to do some things he had to leave out of Sucker Punch.

I also really appreciate how this trailer plays up the threat of chemical weapons, which in this era were the technological nightmare weapon of mass destruction. In the nuclear age we're so used to thinking of the A-bomb as the supreme destroyer, we tend to forget that chemicals are almost as decimating, and in a way even more horrifying.

I also really appreciate how this trailer plays up the threat of chemical weapons, which in this era were the technological nightmare weapon of mass destruction. In the nuclear age we're so used to thinking of the A-bomb as the supreme destroyer, we tend to forget that chemicals are almost as decimating, and in a way even more horrifying.

Yep I remember reading a paper about what chemical warfare would do if war broke out with the Soviets, it made using nukes look like the "ethical" choice. :shock:

The trailer looks exciting and fun, with wit and humor, but I expect the end of the film to show why she turned her back on "the world of Men" for a hundred years afterwords. Sounds kinda like a bit of a downer ending...

It could turn out to be a "downer" in the way that Captain America: Civil War was. In a very real sense all the heroes lost, and suffered for it; but the last scenes of the movie sounded optimistic notes for the future.

We'll see.  It could be fun, or it could be misery.  They're sticking to the same palate, from the trailer: grays and sepia.  I'm personally not super fond of the "this character has always been around but just suddenly showed up" trick.  Oh yeah, Wonder Woman.  She was in WWI totally slipped my mind she existed.

We'll see.  It could be fun, or it could be misery.  They're sticking to the same palate, from the trailer: grays and sepia. 

I'm not sure we're looking at the same trailers. Yes, there are extended scenes of dawn on the French battlefield dominated with greys and pale blues, which IMHO suits that setting; but the sequences on Themiscyra are sun-drenched, with lots of brilliant white and vivid blue. And I couldn't call the intense yellow light of some other scenes "sepia." Wonder Woman's costume is also far brighter than the desaturated one from Batman vs Superman.

Overall I saw a much broader color palette than has prevailed in Zack Snyder's recent DC movies, or Chris Nolan's for that matter. Among the many comments I've heard and read over these two trailers, the presence of more color and light has been one of the things most often noted and applauded.

If there were no photographs of her in action to prove she was there, she could have very easily faded into legend. "Yeah, my Dad told me this story that his grandfather told him. Never believed it though."

That sort of thing.

Audie Murphy was one of the most decorated soldiers of WW II, winning every award the American military had to offer, plus decorations from France and Belgium. His nearly-superhuman feats of valor were legendary. He appeared in 44 films over 21 years, and died in 1971. Try asking people you meet if they ever heard of him.

Audie Murphy stories are a lot more plausible than a woman who deflects mortar shells with a shield, has super human strength, etc. So, there's probably some wiggle room, depending on just how much front line action she sees.

The vibe I got from the trailers is that she's going to be operating more behind the lines or in a covert capacity than in the trenches. The one scene where she climbs out of the trench to take care of business could well be her only battlefield appearance. Doing more covert work also jibes with the way she outfoxed Bats in BvS.

If there were no photographs of her in action to prove she was there, she could have very easily faded into legend. "Yeah, my Dad told me this story that his grandfather told him. Never believed it though."

That sort of thing.

That sounds pretty plausible to me. After all, who would actually believe that a scantily-clad woman would charge entrenched Germans with nothing but a sword and shield (and survive, much less defeat them)? It would sound preposterous and fade from legend pretty quickly.

Of course, that one photograph of her with the troops in Belgium, 1918 would lend some credence to the story, but I get the impression it pretty much stayed out of circulation for a century. Besides, most rational people would apply Occam's Razor and accept any number of more plausible explanations for what they see in that photo.

Of course, that one photograph of her with the troops in Belgium, 1918 would lend some credence to the story, but I get the impression it pretty much stayed out of circulation for a century. Besides, most rational people would apply Occam's Razor and accept any number of more plausible explanations for what they see in that photo.

A propaganda image, obviously.

And one that's a bit "French postcard" for general distribution. Expect to see it pinned up on the wall in a "males-only" environment.

• 3 weeks later...
Audie Murphy stories are a lot more plausible than a woman who deflects mortar shells with a shield, has super human strength, etc.

Whch makes her even more memorable and something people would be talking about.  Even if its just a rumor, a legend.  As in: not someone nobody has heard of or seen before until she shows up suddenly in Superman fights Batman For No Good Reason.  But it happens all the time in comics, so not a big complaint.  Just a pet peeve.

Saw Suicide Squad.  I enjoyed it for about half the movie; I guess right up until Deadshot picks up the 2" thick folder and reads it completely in the time it takes the others to walk 15 feet.  It was at that point that the movie just started to suck.  Almost like they had the first part written then went "this isn't long enough" so they just came up with more crap.

I really didn't like the Enchantress as the bad guy.  I get that she was powerful enough the others really wouldn't be needed, but that should have been a later film.  They should have just done an Expendables-style fight against normal people or interesting bad guys rather than ... whatever that was.

And the "guy who has no interesting powers you've never heard of who shows up suddenly at the last moment to obviously be the guy who blows up so they know the bombs are real" was just... really bad writing.  And the helicopter crashes that harmed no one, etc.

But it was working, up until that point.