Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Why? Don't forget that obstruction is not a means to an end for these guys--it is the end. Government shut down? Awesome. SCOTUS crippled? Wonderful. Sequestration and defunding? Perfect. Pensions destroyed? Excellent.

This is because it's what the base wants. In fact the base wants it so bad that they viciously went after any rep who dared to go along with Boehner's attempts at compromise. Ryan is going to get the same treatment. The wildest blowout election in November still wouldn't clean these saboteurs out of Congress.

There is nothing that these people won't do to damage the government. Even Trump's latest complaints about rigged elections, which logically mean that even Trump knows he isn't going to win, serve that purpose by calling the very integrity of our democracy into question.

Good point. A number of previously safely-Republican states appear to be in play now in the race for the White House. It will be interesting to see if that translates to Congressional election outcomes.

Quite a few, but that seems to be the direct result of Mr. Grabbyhands, not because of congressional obstruction.

Trump has to knock it out of the park in tonight's debate.  We're talking Martin Luther King Jr, JFK, or Hitler levels of oration. 

Clinton needs to bring her A game as well.  She's done fine in the debates (not hard - unlike the primaries you can't actually bully or shout your opponent out of the race, and that's all he had going for him) but if he gets desperate and unhinged in the slightest and she delivers the performance of her career the contrast will serve her well.

Trump has to knock it out of the park in tonight's debate.  We're talking Martin Luther King Jr, JFK, or Hitler levels of oration. 

Clinton needs to bring her A game as well.  She's done fine in the debates (not hard - unlike the primaries you can't actually bully or shout your opponent out of the race, and that's all he had going for him) but if he gets desperate and unhinged in the slightest and she delivers the performance of her career the contrast will serve her well.

Trump couldn't deliver that level of performance, even if he actually channeled all three of them tonight.

Are there really that many undecided voters left to influence? And wouldn't they have pretty much decided to wash their hands of this whole fiasco of a campaign and spend Election Night watching House of Cards reruns?

Speaking of which, does anyone have special plans for Election Night? I don't know how much coverage of the tallying up I could stomach, to be honest. So many talking heads doing what talking heads do. So many inane predictions that will be obsolete within fifteen minutes. The probability that Trump will show just what an ass he is when he loses, or when he wins, or when he claims to have won after he loses.

I was watching the Youtube feed of the Thomas & Mack Center floor before the debate, and was excited to see former Governor Richard Bryan*, then realized that the camera was actually focused on the idiot in front of him (Scott Baio).

*There's a picture in my high school yearbook of me looming over Governor Bryan at the Sun Youth Forum.

Supposedly no debate participant would ever agree to that stipulation, but I'm not sure what the rationale is.

Anyway, your debate takeaways:

"I'll keep you in suspense."

"Such a nasty woman."

"You're the puppet."

*sniff*

"I have the greatest respect for women." (widespread audience laughter)

"I never apologized to my wife."