Batwoman

Cassandra

Given all that we have scene regarding the new Batwoman TV show, I'm wondering what people are thinking. 

As for myself I'm not impressed.  It' looks like the writers went to see Captain  Marvel and think that's waht a superhero show is all about. 

I think everyone is SO over the BatGod aspect of Batman and we are probably poised for a brilliant TV series about the World's Greatest Detective.

I think if you got a decent ensemble cast you could do something a bit less grimdark, not 1960's camp, not the nihilistic fun of Gotham but a street level superhero leaning more heavily on his detective skills and anticipation than kewl ninja fighting.

If they could get away from the fighting and opponents that are defeated through violent encounters, there might be space for good story-telling and interesting thought pieces about vigilantism and citizenship.

Doc

7 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Doc, So emphasis on the noir aspect of the Batman mythos, (private detective, femme fatale, convoluted plot etc)? 

Absolutely.  Obviously being in a superheroic world, there is leeway to introduce fantastical elements.

I think the Gothic backdrop provides for something that visually lifts it out of typical police procedural, the superhero world allows for elements of colour in contrast to that Gothic world.  It would need a responsible attitude to villains like Joker. If you make Joker casually homicidal then you raise stakes about killing him, if you use him as a challenge to Batman's ingenuity then you have puzzles with high stakes IF Batman cannot deliver.  In Dark Knight Batman fails to stop either of the explosions set up by the Joker.  In this series he should find a way for noone to die and possibly prevent both explosions.

I want my superheroes to start being not only heroic, but superheroic. 

Doc

I agree that a more world's greatest detective costumed crime fighter approach really would be nice for a different Batman kind of show.  Fewer gadgets, less kung fu, more getting clues and fighting crime.  That format works better for a series TV type thing than the world shattering danger of the month.

Well...I saw it.   In the past I’ve seen bad and I’ve seen awful.  I’ve even paid good money to see Fan4tastic Four and Green Hornet.

It wasn’t bad.  Nor great but not bad.  I liked that unlike DC comics themselves they were upfront about the orientation of Kate Kane.  Alice seems a decent expy for the Joker or Harley Quinn. I especially liked the Easter eggs of the movie in the park being the Douglas Fairbanks silent Zorro, the film Bruce and his parents came out of before they were mugged (according to Frank Miller’s “Year One”.) Alice’s henchman being named Dodgson (Lewis Carroll’s real last name) and the voice of Vesper Fairchild being done by Rachel Maddow (There’s some fan-fic for ‘ya).

All in all it was a decent first episode. A lot of room for improvement, but Ruby Rose is personable and has the required presence for the character.  I just hope her recent injury doesn’t interfere with the stunt work needed for a show like this.

The big reveal of last nights episode was so obvious I saw it coming from Alpha Centauri.

Easter Eggs

Mary Elizabeth "Bette" Kane was the Bat--Girl, created in 1961 as Batwoman Kathy Kane's side kick.

Zorro was the movie the Waynes went to see the night Thomas and Martha were killed.

Overall:  Not as bad as I thought it might be, but not good either.  

9 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Well, I can modify that a little.  the DCAU did it right.  Live action, though, is still cheese, though.

All these complaints about the quality of the effects.  Am I the only one old enough to have sat thru live action TV Spider-Man? To anyone who has a problem with the Ben Affleck version of Daredevil I wish to turn your attention to the acting chops of Mr. Rex Smith as the man without fear.  Not happy with the physique or accent of Chris Helmsworth, may I remind you of Eric Allen Kramer.   And let us never forget David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

This is the Golden Age for superheroics on TV.   Enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Tjack said:

All these complaints about the quality of the effects.  Am I the only one old enough to have sat thru live action Spider-Man? To anyone who has a problem with the Ben Affleck version of Daredevil I wish to turn your attention to the acting chops of Mr. Rex Smith as the man without fear.  Not happy with the physique or accent of Chris Helmsworth, may I remind you of Eric Allen Kramer.   And let us never forget David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

To me Hasselhoff will always be the definitive Nick Fury.

9 hours ago, Tjack said:

All these complaints about the quality of the effects.  Am I the only one old enough to have sat thru live action Spider-Man? To anyone who has a problem with the Ben Affleck version of Daredevil I wish to turn your attention to the acting chops of Mr. Rex Smith as the man without fear.  Not happy with the physique or accent of Chris Helmsworth, may I remind you of Eric Allen Kramer.   And let us never forget David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

It's not so much the "quality" of the effects, but the quality of the photography and the "layout" of those effects. Now adays, anyone with skill and a decent desktop can put out good quality effects.  What Television doesn't have is time, a schedule that allows for planning out those effects.  Also the Costumes look clunky often in Television. All of this I can place at the feet of poor or hurried art direction.

Birds of Prey was better the Batwoman even thought they pretty much have the same premises.  The first show was doomed by a lack of costumes but at least it had Harley Quinn (Mia Sara who replaced Sherilyn Fenn). 

Another Easter Egg

Rachel Skarsten who plays Alice was Dinah Lance in Birds of Prey.