Coronavirus

Steve

40 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

This SO nails it to me, the absolutely BRAIN DEAD attitude of that last group of people.  The other argument seems to be rooted in toxic masculinity...one poster on a local social app said "I'm not gonna wear a mask, I'll go where I want, I don't live in fear."  Gawd, straight from the cave man days....

Someone should ask him, does that include street gang territory? Or the big cat pen in the zoo? Or over Niagara Falls? Brave isn't stupid. It isn't fear to take sensible precautions.

I remember the Star Trek TNG episode, "Rightful Heir," featuring the alleged return of the Klingon leader Kahless, when he told this story: "Long ago, a storm was heading toward the city of Quin'lat. The people sought protection within the walls, all except one man who remained outside. I went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," he said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." I honored his choice and went inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool."

4 hours ago, archer said:

In an effort to stop the spread of the coronavirus, the administration has just announced social media distancing.

No more than three people per chat room AND EVERYONE HAS TO YELL AT EACH OTHER AS IF THEY WERE SIX FEET APART

THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

Remember also to disable HTTPS because TLS requires handshakes, and overclock your router to increase the temperature of your firewall so it sterilizes incoming packets. 

6 hours ago, archer said:

My wife was admitted to the hospital a few minutes ago. She has very severe breathing problems anyway and what she's experiencing now isn't any worse than she gets every couple of months. But they're keeping her because they want her close in case she dips suddenly or they get the covid test results back (no sooner than 2 days).

I hope for good news, or at least good results.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Someone should ask him, does that include street gang territory? Or the big cat pen in the zoo? Or over Niagara Falls? Brave isn't stupid. It isn't fear to take sensible precautions.

I remember the Star Trek TNG episode, "Rightful Heir," featuring the alleged return of the Klingon leader Kahless, when he told this story: "Long ago, a storm was heading toward the city of Quin'lat. The people sought protection within the walls, all except one man who remained outside. I went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," he said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." I honored his choice and went inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. The wind does not respect a fool."

Or my favorite..."let's watch the tsunami from the pier, we'll have a great view!"  

Brave isn't fearless, it's proceeding to do what you need to do despite the fear.  Brave also isn't foolish, a la, let us say, playing Russian roulette on a dare/taunt.  Because that's something that, barring some *extreme* circumstances, you simply do not need to do.

1 hour ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I hope for good news, or at least good results.

Resting as well as could be expected.

She had a nasty shock when they were going over her advanced directives which said "no ventilators". In the context of 10 years ago, using a ventilator meant your brain stem couldn't make your body function. She's having to try to get them to alter that on the fly. If she doesn't have any luck this evening, we'll try to get the hospitals patient advocate involved tomorrow.

The potentially permanent changes are beginning to shape up.

Brooks Brothers declared bankruptcy earlier this month;  IIRC, the comment was they'd never branched out enough.  CNN is reporting today that the parent company of Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank, 2 of the larger business-dress chains in the country, is planning to close about 1/3 of its 1500 stores and lay off 20% of its corporate positions.  The story says the rumor was they were pretty close to bankruptcy themselves...as a cut of this magnitude suggests...and may yet do so.  

The permanent change MAY be to the dress code itself.  Suits won't completely disappear, but may well go from "expected" to "if you wish to."  Certainly, the expectation is that some of the workplace shifts happening right now will carry over to a degree...and if people aren't going into the office, they're not going to wear suits.  I can see nice sportswear...decent button-down shirt, quarter-zip light wool or cotton sweater, flat-front pants...taking over MUCH of the workplace.

Just now, unclevlad said:

Brooks Brothers declared bankruptcy earlier this month;  IIRC, the comment was they'd never branched out enough.  CNN is reporting today that the parent company of Men's Wearhouse and Jos. A. Bank, 2 of the larger business-dress chains in the country, is planning to close about 1/3 of its 1500 stores and lay off 20% of its corporate positions.  The story says the rumor was they were pretty close to bankruptcy themselves...as a cut of this magnitude suggests...and may yet do so.  

The permanent change MAY be to the dress code itself.  Suits won't completely disappear, but may well go from "expected" to "if you wish to."  Certainly, the expectation is that some of the workplace shifts happening right now will carry over to a degree...and if people aren't going into the office, they're not going to wear suits.  I can see nice sportswear...decent button-down shirt, quarter-zip light wool or cotton sweater, flat-front pants...taking over MUCH of the workplace.

Maybe coronavirus will kill off all the neckties....

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

NPR covered the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy. They were already on the ropes due to ever-loosening workplace dress standards, especially on the West Coast and in tech. The pandemic and permanent WFH are what pushed them over the edge. 

11 hours ago, archer said:

One of my adult kid's in isolation at my home with covid. Another of my adult kids had it, in my home, back in April. I think I had it from Christmas until the end of February but they didn't have a test for it back then.

My wife was admitted to the hospital a few minutes ago. She has very severe breathing problems anyway and what she's experiencing now isn't any worse than she gets every couple of months. But they're keeping her because they want her close in case she dips suddenly or they get the covid test results back (no sooner than 2 days).

If she has covid, they're going to immediately give her plasma from someone who's already recovered in hopes that their antibodies will help her.

Very frustrating, on top of the anxiety, since we tried to take every precaution after we were pretty sure it would reach the US (masks, showers immediately upon coming home, clothes immediately in the laundry, no unnecessary contact with anyone at all). I'm one of those freaks who had a large box of masks in the back of my medicine cabinet just in case there might happen to be a pandemic someday and we took every reasonable (and some "unreasonable" precautions even before the experts said that they really were reasonable). 

I am looking forward to February since I'm sure that winter month will provide some relief.

Hoping for the best. Please keep us updated. FWIW treatment is better today than it was 90 days ago, if only because the doctors know what to look out for. 

20 hours ago, Starlord said:

spacer.png

The seat belts thing took a long, long time to be accepted, and that was back in the era before social media made defiant posturing by idiots popular. 

And people still are resisting laws against driving while intoxicated.

6 minutes ago, Cancer said:

And people still are resisting laws against driving while intoxicated.

IME that's mostly people who were caught and trying to find a way out of penalties. I see overwhelming social acceptance that drinking and driving are bad things, although many people think that driving with "a little buzz" is okay.

Some people resisting something we know will be to the greater benefit of all society, and who'll require a long time to be convinced to change, isn't a good enough reason not to insist on it. And I know that's not your position, Cancer, but no few people still make that argument.

12 hours ago, archer said:

She had a nasty shock when they were going over her advanced directives which said "no ventilators". In the context of 10 years ago, using a ventilator meant your brain stem couldn't make your body function. She's having to try to get them to alter that on the fly. If she doesn't have any luck this evening, we'll try to get the hospitals patient advocate involved tomorrow.

Hope the best for you and all your family. The good thing is, by getting to the hospital before she needs a ventilator, the knowledge of how to treat and keep her off the ventilator seems to have advanced. quite a bit..

10 hours ago, Badger said:

I do hate hearing the only minor inconvenience argument.  I am wearing a face blanket in mid July.  So, I am making constant save rolls vs passing out.

No offense, but it does make me wonder if people who are saying that are wearing their mask.,

I sympathize, having to just run errands here in July in Alabama, the mask seems to add 5 degrees. You work an outdoor job and are stuck in a mask all day outside. Most of us on the boards are indoors for the most part. It makes for quite a difference when one references mask wearing in an air conditioned office versus outdoors in 90+ degree heat and 50+ humidity. They are different worlds..

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

Hoping for the best. Please keep us updated. FWIW treatment is better today than it was 90 days ago, if only because the doctors know what to look out for. 

8 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Best wishes from me as well, archer. I hope the family gets better soon.

And I will join the cascade of good wishes. Thousands of people are going through what you are. Be strong.

A very depressing little piece of information...

In the US:

total cases:  a bit over 4M

total recovered:  1.9M

active cases:  2M

So think of it this way...there have 2M new cases since June 7th.  So you either say that every case since June 7th...6 weeks ago...IS STILL GOING...or even worse...for each recovery for a new case since June 7th, there's a case from BEFORE that date that has NOT recovered.

That doesn't mean every case has been severe, but if nothing else, that if you do get it...you have a LONG period before you get rid of it.

EDIT:  also note.  4M cases means that, for every 80 people in the US...one has it.

3 hours ago, Grailknight said:

I sympathize, having to just run errands here in July in Alabama, the mask seems to add 5 degrees. You work an outdoor job and are stuck in a mask all day outside. Most of us on the boards are indoors for the most part. It makes for quite a difference when one references mask wearing in an air conditioned office versus outdoors in 90+ degree heat and 50+ humidity. They are different worlds..

Kind of half and half with indoor outdoor thing.  Not really complaining about doing, so much as hearing how it is so minor a thing.  And I seem to be built more for cold than hot as is.

18 hours ago, archer said:

Joining in with everyone else in sending best wishes your way.