Coronavirus

Steve

58 minutes ago, Zeropoint said:

Governments can declare things open all they want, and when they do, the working class lose their unemployment protection. The working class people who had been sheltering in place and getting by then have to choose between financial disaster or risking their lives for a paltry paycheck. The drive to "re-open the economy" isn't coming from people who want to go back to work. It's coming from the rich, who want money flowing into their already overstuffed coffers faster, and from the entitled, who want other people to risk their lives for their own convenience.

What you say is true; but ScottishFox's example shows that just because something is open, doesn't mean people will come to it. Being made to work won't magically make clients appear. Many people in the world, including in America, are scared of lifting social distancing too soon. They're going to stay cautious whatever the government declares until they're satisfied it's safe -- particularly the current American federal government. It's also quite likely that many state governments would defy a federal call to end lockdown if the science says it's still unsafe, which they have the constitutional power to do.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I need an"infuriated" emoji.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if I should bow out for a bit. Things I can't control get me far too upset far too readily, and being alone as I am with no respite I'm approaching a state of constant paranoia. I doubt I have anything more of value to contribute to the topic.

That may well be a very good idea.  My feeling is somewhat similar, altho in my case it's not paranoia, but more of a sense of not-quite-inevitability...it didn't have to go the way it looks to be going, but it feels like the most likely.  And there's nothing we can do now but cry a little, and if you like, pray.  Because it's out of our hands.  If you ever saw the pretty old movie now...Vanishing Point?  Yeah, we're at the end of the movie, it seems to me.  Doesn't mean I need to watch....

Yeah, it's . . . depressing to realize how much this can affect us and how little we can do about it as individuals. I may do a little "prepping". I live in the Cascadia Subduction Zone, so preparing for a disaster is already something I should be doing.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Interestingly, mentioned in the paper, that there are 3 rural counties here in VA, still yet to have a case.  If I lived in one of those counties, it would be hard for me not to feel like that I am being buried into financial ruin, so some politicians can pat themselves on the back.  

*Speechless*

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

What you say is true; but ScottishFox's example shows that just because something is open, doesn't mean people will come to it. Being made to work won't magically make clients appear. Many people in the world, including in America, are scared of lifting social distancing too soon. They're going to stay cautious whatever the government declares until they're satisfied it's safe -- particularly the current American federal government. It's also quite likely that many state governments would defy a federal call to end lockdown if the science says it's still unsafe, which they have the constitutional power to do.

I'm a long way from the province of Quebec, which has called for the schools to reopen.  This has raised concerns with many parents.  Recently, at least a few schoolboards went on record that they will not reopen the schools under their management, regardless of the orders of the provincial government, as they do not believe they can safeguard the students or the staff.

We need more people who are prepared to stand up for what's right, even when it's not expedient.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Interestingly, mentioned in the paper, that there are 3 rural counties here in VA, still yet to have a case.  If I lived in one of those counties, it would be hard for me not to feel like that I am being buried into financial ruin, so some politicians can pat themselves on the back.  

There is only one county that I know of in NC that hasn't had one case of Covid 19. That is Avery County. Looking at the map the only reason I can think of for that is there's 17k people there spread out over the mountains heading into the Cherokee Reservation and Tennessee. 

Wikipedia estimates that in 2000 there was like 70 people per square mile.

The only way to contract anything contagious in a county like that is at the local dance, or at the tourist attractions that were cut off when the state was locked down

CES

This morning, beginning on a random thought ...

... When the first significant hurricane makes landfall this summer, it will be interesting to watch the first evacuation orders collide with the ongoing quarantine orders ...

Since I have a hard time imagining an environment more conducive for massive infection than a hurricane shelter.

Well, if you're primed for some made-for-TV level conspiracy action I present:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2020/05/04/ross-township-murder-suicide-bing-liu-police-elm-court/stories/202005040082

Chinese assistant professor working on COVID and supposedly close to a big breakthrough gets murdered-suicided by another Chinese person.

Doesn't look fishy at all.  :(

And in the "Do as I say, not as I do" category of scumbags we have:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

Mr. Inflated Death estimates himself gets caught violating social distancing rules so he can sleep with a married woman (who has kids).

I hadn't realized how bad this guy was with estimates until I read a couple of articles on his previous flops.

1A:  Predicts up to 200,000,000 deaths from bird flu in 2005

1B:  282 people die from 2003 through 2009  (nearly a million to one miss).

2A: Predicts up to 65,000 deaths in the UK from swine flu in 2009.

2B: 457 people die from swine flu in the UK. (inflated by 14,200%).

3A: Predicts 50 to 50,000 people in the UK will die from mad cow disease and up to 150,000 if it infects sheep.

3B: 177 people die from mad cow disease in the UK.

4A: Predicts 500,000 people in the UK will die from Corona virus without preventative measures and 250,000 WITH preventative measures.

4B:  So far... 29,501.  By far his best estimate to date with only being inflated by about 900%.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime-courts/2020/05/04/ross-township-murder-suicide-bing-liu-police-elm-court/stories/202005040082

Chinese assistant professor working on COVID and supposedly close to a big breakthrough gets murdered-suicided by another Chinese person.

Big pharma didn't want him beating them to their trillion dollar covid vaccine so a black ops team setup a fake murder-suicide and shifted it to Chinese on Chinese violence.  Standard FX channel thriller plot.

37 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Big pharma didn't want him beating them to their trillion dollar covid vaccine so a black ops team setup a fake murder-suicide and shifted it to Chinese on Chinese violence.  Standard FX channel thriller plot.

I'll bet the Chinese-on-Chinese murder rate among American college professors is INCREDIBLY low.

Looks like a straight up assassination.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Definitely in the wheelhouse for the Umbrella Corporation.

19 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if I should bow out for a bit. Things I can't control get me far too upset far too readily, and being alone as I am with no respite I'm approaching a state of constant paranoia. I doubt I have anything more of value to contribute to the topic.

I think I will follow you by leaving this thread. As much as I have enjoyed reading some weighty perspectives on this forum, I returned for gaming advice and brainstorming; it is about time I fully embrace my initial passion. Before I go, however, I want anyone here who's ready to court a sexy conspiracy theory to reconsider the object of their affection before making the first move. Remember that,

1. You cannot verify said theory (unless you happen to own an intelligence network).

2. You cannot act upon said theory (unless you happen to own a standing army in addition to the aforementioned intelligence network).

3. Whatever initial "rush" or thrill you feel due to being part of an in-group that is enlightened above the masses will soon be replaced by something wholly negative: a red-in-the-face shouting anger, a pallid sweaty fear or the insistent needling of paranoia.

Otherwise...keep safe :cheers: and keep sane*.

* This goes double for those among us that opted not to purchase the Introvert package during character creation :tsk:.

The point of the conspiracy theories is to distract and deflect from the ongoing failures of the federal response. The lockdown delayed the inevitable by maybe six weeks, during which ventilators were not made and PPE was not distributed and testing was not performed.  But but but China!  That’s why you see these conspiracy talking points leaking out of the conservabubble. 

12 hours ago, Cancer said:

... When the first significant hurricane makes landfall this summer, it will be interesting to watch the first evacuation orders collide with the ongoing quarantine orders ...

Evacuate the hurricane area . . . and bring your house with you!

12 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

come on China would never do anything nefarious or dishonest. :whistle:

THough, I have pondered comments made about the big businesses being the ones pushing to open.  That would be foolish and short-sighted of them.  The longer this goes the more small businesses that get crushed.  The more crushed small businesses the less competition.  The less competition, the greater future profits.  

Big businesses should want this to last.