Coronavirus

Steve

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

This vacillation over health-care decision-making by the Trump regime is disgusting. It's up to the state and local governments, except when Trump doesn't like what the state and local governments do, then the federal government has full authority, except if things go wrong then it's the state's fault. :angry:

That's a very accurate summation of the situation.

10 hours ago, archer said:

Feel free to add details. There's almost no island news in the national media and honestly I don't spend much time scouring their local newspapers.

I forgot to mention that the contact tracing program turned out to be fake. Or more accurately, state leadership continued to assure the public that it was working fine—even refusing offers of help from the National Guard and the university—when in fact the program was still staffed for single digit daily new case increases and had been totally overwhelmed for weeks. It took a literal surprise visit by other state lawmakers to uncover the truth. 

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I forgot to mention that the contact tracing program turned out to be fake. Or more accurately, state leadership continued to assure the public that it was working fine—even refusing offers of help from the National Guard and the university—when in fact the program was still staffed for single digit daily new case increases and had been totally overwhelmed for weeks. It took a literal surprise visit by other state lawmakers to uncover the truth. 

Which program?  Unfortunately the news / searches are just filled with 'beware of this scam!' content

Countries with highest per capita infection rates:

Qatar

French Guiana

Bahrain

Chile

San Marino

Panama

Kuwait

Peru

USA

Brazil

Aruba

Oman

Armenia

Andorra

Maldives

What country there does not fit?

The worst rate in a major European country is Spain's, and it's half ours.

In terms of per capita deaths, we will pass Sweden and Chile in about a week;  Italy, UK, and Spain 2-3 weeks after that.  It might take longer if the death rates start to drop, following the reduced new-case rates by a few weeks...but the new-case numbers started climbing in late June, and they're still at those levels.  The death rates started showing the similar rise in mid-July.  There's no reason to expect the death rates will drop that much in the next 10 days.  So, we're very likely to pass Spain, Italy, and the UK by the end of September.

I feel for Brazil.  Arguably the one world leader whose handling of this situation has been worse than Trump's.  Their per capita death rate is now tied with ours, is rising faster, and there has been basically no mitigation of their infection rate, ergo no reason to expect a decrease in the death rate any time soon.  Their per capita infection rate is also going to pass ours within a week to 10 days...and even Spain's in around 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

How can you expect to lead the great students *cough* dull brained slackers *cough*. If you can't do your own math.

Fuzzy math, man.  Hot topic in math circles.

On 8/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, archer said:

CDC updates guidelines.

Employees at stores should no longer tell customers they have to wear a mask if the person appears to be upset, makes threats, or displays violence (including using a swear word, an insult, or physical violence of any sort).

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/513643-cdc-warns-employees-not-to-argue-with-anti-mask-customers

I have this Beautiful Mind style reading problem where my mind grabs bits of adjacent words and adds a word that's not actually in the sentence.  Then I read something that makes no sense - go back to read it again and realize I've made up something that is just not there.

My first read of "(including using a swear word..." I initially saw as "(including using a sword...".  WHAT?!?

39 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

I have this Beautiful Mind style reading problem where my mind grabs bits of adjacent words and adds a word that's not actually in the sentence.  Then I read something that makes no sense - go back to read it again and realize I've made up something that is just not there.

I do something like that too when I read things too quickly.  It's caused some immensely confusing situations where I assumed something was said that wasn't there.  In my case I swap in random thoughts/impressions into literally what I'm reading, so I miss words like "the meeting was sent via email" if I was expecting it to be sent via slack.

--

Anyone will be happy to know my coworker and his gf, both who tested negative but were sick with a mysterious fever that no meds helped, have been doing okay after having a fever for a literal whole month.  They'll be getting the antibody tests before long.

In other helpful news another professional contact I have is sick.  Apparently her kindergardener (I think?) has started going in to school, and came back with something almost immediately and got her sick in literally less than a week.

5 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

I do something like that too when I read things too quickly.  It's caused some immensely confusing situations where I assumed something was said that wasn't there.  In my case I swap in random thoughts/impressions into literally what I'm reading, so I miss words like "the meeting was sent via email" if I was expecting it to be sent via slack.

I do that when listening. I used to work in a forest of cubicles and frequently amused my co-workers by repeating their words back to them...but as I heard them rather than what they necessarily actually said.

Most of my co-workers were women who discussed their sex lives, their husbands, and all sorts of topics which were rife with comic possibilities.