Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Seems to be small noses that are more prone to slippage -- not enough to hold the mask in place. The wearers may not even notice. I used to be a little envious of such folks, but now I'm more grateful for my facial boat-anchor.

Well, to be fair, I imagine a healthy dose, are the people who were refusing, and. basically make a compromise.

On 8/17/2020 at 6:24 PM, Pariah said:

My dad went on an agricultural exchange to Moscow and Leningrad back when it was still the USSR. On the Aeroflot flight, the only beverage served was, of course, vodka. He said they served it in glass shot glasses, which they wiped out with a rag when you were done and then poured another shot for the next person. Apparently the antiseptic properties of the Vodka were sufficient not to require additional cleaning.

Or they were really cheap and had only one shot glass for everyone on the flight (including the pilot).

1 hour ago, assault said:

I was previously unaware that "Magpie Swooping Season" existed. The animal kingdom must hold an enormous grudge against Australians.

Speaking of which, I mainly remember Quantas (the Australian airline) from their 1970s ads with the annoyed koala, but apparently they still exist. After a fashion, as it will be until October before they open up for international flights again. Maybe the granson of that koala will feel better about things.

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

I’m surprised it’s that low. 

Similar story with costs broken out a bit here:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/breaking-down-this-miracle-covid-19-survivors-11-million-hospital-bill-2020-06-16

The takeaway I think is simplest:  1 day on a ventilator in the ICU is about $12,500 for that alone.  This one is, to be sure, relatively insane.  The man's odds of surviving had to be tiny.  More generally:

The City University of New York (CUNY) Graduate School of Public Health and Health Policy recently ran a computer simulation to gauge what the nation’s COVID-19-related health care costs could be. They determined that the median cost of a coronavirus hospitalization is $14,366. And that doesn’t include the long-term health care costs for patients with severe illness who suffer significant lung damage, for example. Other estimates have pushed COVID-19 hospitalization costs closer to $20,000.

Also note, that's the median cost...the point at which half pay more, and half less.  It'd be more interesting...read, frightening...to look at a more complete histogram.

School reopening pushbacks are growing.  Michigan State is taking all undergrad stuff remote.  School districts are reporting threats of lawsuits, strikes, and sick-outs.  Notre Dame is going with online only for at least the first 2 weeks...which seems particularly silly to me.  If you go to the trouble and expense of remote learning to the scale necessary, then why revert?  Unless the plan is that the vast majority of class hours would be remote, and only things which really can't be done remotely (lab sessions, for example) might end up being held live.  THAT has notable difficulties of its own, tho.  Where are the students living, in order to get onto campus to attend these?

And the China news...intelligence officials think that Chinese local officials just didn't report about the outbreak.  THIS, I find entirely believable.  China has a strong history whereby bad news is held back in order to avoid reprisals.  And if you think the national government suppresses news that might put them in a bad light, well, how can you expect anything different from the minions?

It's unclear when my niece will go down to Corvallis to earn her degree at Oregon State. She's still at home, getting ready to take remote classes and having a job tutoring elementary school kids in robotics. Her students are also stuck in a remote learning environment, so team work in robotics would be a challenge. It's bringing much-needed money into my sister's household. My younger niece and nephew are just starting at community college, whose campus is a few blocks from their house. So that's two more years of college students living at home unless something drastic changes.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:16 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

The animal kingdom must hold an enormous grudge against Australians.

I'm reminded of the "Come to Australia" song where the chorus includes, "...come to Australia; you might accidentally get killed."  I think Australian flora and fauna have it out for each other universally; I'm not sure the human residents are a particular target.

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

We were talking about a TV news item on high school parents protesting that the schools should still have football games, and I pointed out that a lot of them are probably parents of seniors who are afraid their kids won't get sports scholarships and thus not be able to go to college.  

My daughter pointed out, "You know how else you won't be able to go to college?  If you DIE from coronavirus."

1 minute ago, BoloOfEarth said:

We were talking about a TV news item on high school parents protesting that the schools should still have football games, and I pointed out that a lot of them are probably parents of seniors who are afraid their kids won't get sports scholarships and thus not be able to go to college.  

Not only the sports scholarships to go to college but the opportunity to play pro football as well. Or get recruited into one of the college's Olympic sports. Or switch over to baseball and start a minor league career there while hoping to do better.

I can understand the desire of desperate parents. I just don't think that we should give in to the demands of desperate parents when it is manifestly unsafe to do so.

Article today in NYT about a rise in case numbers in Europe that has them concerned.  When rates are 1/10th that seen in Florida.  Just slightly different priorities, eh?  Numbers seem to be driven by a higher rate among younger folks.

Head of the WHO in Europe offered this quote:

“Low risk does not mean no risk,” he said. “No one is invincible, and if you do not die from Covid, it may stick to your body like a tornado with a long tail.”

Emphasis mine.  I really do wonder how much penetration into our thinking the longer-term consequences have had...and how much, if any, the administration's downplaying the issues have directly or indirectly helped to suppress this?  To be sure, some of it is, it just takes a while to build up the evidence.  A rush to report has led to problems already;  but one can also wonder if some of the researchers here are worried about reprisals.

19 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Article today in NYT about a rise in case numbers in Europe that has them concerned.  When rates are 1/10th that seen in Florida.  Just slightly different priorities, eh?  Numbers seem to be driven by a higher rate among younger folks.

Head of the WHO in Europe offered this quote:

Emphasis mine.  I really do wonder how much penetration into our thinking the longer-term consequences have had...and how much, if any, the administration's downplaying the issues have directly or indirectly helped to suppress this?  To be sure, some of it is, it just takes a while to build up the evidence.  A rush to report has led to problems already;  but one can also wonder if some of the researchers here are worried about reprisals.

That's the reason I chose to work from home. Otherwise, I'd have to take the train to work, which would increase my chances of catching COVID. I may not be high-risk, but I live with family members who are. I don't plan on becoming a carrier.

21 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

That's the reason I chose to work from home. Otherwise, I'd have to take the train to work, which would increase my chances of catching COVID. I may not be high-risk, but I live with family members who are. I don't plan on becoming a carrier.

Good choice.

The Chinese are making super-sonic missiles which can blow up carriers.