Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

Spain is moving to establish permanent basic income in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.businessinsider.com/spain-universal-basic-income-coronavirus-yang-ubi-permanent-first-europe-2020-4

Yes! This is the sort of thing I was greatly hoping to see. Some of the world's worst crises have been the cradle of some of our greatest advances.

7 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Unless he likes refried beans. He might have access to chips and queso planned.

No, no think, man.  Belly full of refried beans + enclosed space =  ??????

Ok , we know what it equals and the Geneva convention frowned upon it.

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

No, no think, man.  Belly full of refried beans + enclosed space =  ??????

Ok , we know what it equals and the Geneva convention frowned upon it.

Oh, I understand you, but some people don't have that reaction to refried beans or beans of any sort. No one in my immediate family does and we love chips and dip.

16 hours ago, Bazza said:

Spain is moving to establish permanent basic income in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.businessinsider.com/spain-universal-basic-income-coronavirus-yang-ubi-permanent-first-europe-2020-4

Tack this onto the list of "What did someone wish for on the monkey paw to cause this".

"I wish some country would make an honest attempt to have a UBI."

"I wish GRR Martin would get stuck in house and pound out a book."

"I wish I could get out of school early this year."

We are scheduled to go to my son's elementary school tomorrow morning and pick up his stuff. They have gathered all of his materials, along with some stuff from school (which is being torn down this summer as a new building is being built next door) and a goodbye gift from his teacher.

But the mechanism for doing this is really interesting. We have to show up at a scheduled time with his name displayed prominently in/on our car. We're going through a drive-thru area to get the bag of his stuff. After that, we're driving through a lane lined on both sides by teachers, administrators, etc. (Appropriately separated, of course.) They're promoting is as a "reverse parade" to say goodbye for the year.

That’s rough. They had a teacher on live news a week ago who broke down when she started talking about how much she missed her first grade class. Straight up incoherent ugly crying on live news. A lot of the teachers around here have really stepped up during this apocalypse.  Hopefully that will be remembered when it’s all over.