Coronavirus

Steve

On 4/26/2020 at 12:02 AM, Bazza said:

Miami goes seven weeks without a homicide for first time since 1957

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miami-no-homicide-seven-weeks/

Good news, but some will want to make it political. #politicsSafeThread 

Rather, Miami goes seven weeks without detecting a homicide. Chances are pretty good that somebody will eventually stumble across a locked down house with a month old murder victim in it.

22 hours ago, assault said:

The population of Australia is only slightly smaller than that of Texas.

We have what is probably a more intensive lockdown than Texas.

Our current number of deaths: 83.

Glad your country's numbers are so low.  Your mortality rate per confirmed case is also very low (1.0 - 1.5%).

Your response had me looking up some articles on why Australia is doing so well.  The Guardian had a great article.  (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/09/have-australia-new-zealand-stopped-covid-19-in-its-tracks-coronavirus)

"Australia has inherent advantages. If a country were to be designed to withstand a viral pandemic such as Covid-19, it would look very much like Australia: geographically distant, a large island nation with borders than can be locked down, inhabited by a comparatively small population that lives, in the main, in low-density cities."

Even in the USA we're seeing substantial regional differences.  Part of New York City's problem - besides being where so many travelers arrive - might be the high population density.

New York City has a 10.9% mortality rate for confirmed cases compared to 3.3% for Suffolk County which is immediately adjacent.

Texas will be partially re-opening non-essential businesses at 25% capacity this Friday and soon after (May 18th) at 50% if there isn't an upward spike in cases.

Our current two-week trend:

image.png.b8b290448314b56754ecfafbbfd31f11.png

Currently our number of deaths is about 1/4th of a bad flu season so the shut down seems to have really helped though I wonder if we're also benefiting from the population being spread out and the warmer temperatures.

Wish us luck!  

6 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Currently our number of deaths is about 1/4th of a bad flu season so the shut down seems to have really helped though I wonder if we're also benefiting from the population being spread out and the warmer temperatures.

Wish us luck!

I do hope the shutdown release works out.  Arizona and Texas are very lucky in that they are very spread out and they are very warm.  Under most circumstances I'd be highly concerned, but for the location.  I still think it's not great for the cities.

We are near the end of the normal flu season, but I think corona's been wandering in the US for only a part of that time.  February is the peak flu time for the US, and it only was just starting to spread then.

21 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Arizona and Texas have large population segments that believe NO ONE has the right to tell them what to do or not do.  

That said, it's also true they have a relatively small number of cases per capita, and the numbers aren't getting a lot worse.  Well, let's hope and see.

California has large population segments that believe the same thing. There's enough folks they've got their own secession movement. 

Got my $2400 a few days ago for additional Ohio unemployment back pay from the CARES Act.  This is on top of my regular unemployment pay which has been quick and on-time since the beginning, no problems whatsoever.  Also, due to get our stimulus checks on the 30th so this will be a pretty good week for the Starlord family.

The Oregonian sent my phone a very depressing article about defining what will be normal once things open up. One of the thi8ngs in it is that we need to give up shaking hands. Ever. It's not worth the risk anymore.

But the notion that people are not going to want to gather in large numbers until there's a vaccine? Disturbing.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The Oregonian sent my phone a very depressing article about defining what will be normal once things open up. One of the thi8ngs in it is that we need to give up shaking hands. Ever. It's not worth the risk anymore.

But the notion that people are not going to want to gather in large numbers until there's a vaccine? Disturbing.

So, it's like the non-contact greetings in Demolition Man?

16 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Well, some people will.  But this is the funny thing about the push to "reopen America"--a lot of people aren't going to restaurants and theaters any time soon.  A lot of employers aren't going to rehire 100% of their workers right away.  A lot of people are going to keep working from home and not buying gas.  Since the extreme lockdown only barely managed to drive R0 down to 1, I have the sneaking suspicion that the reopening will allow a second wave of the virus without actually preventing economic disaster.  As always, I hope I'm wrong.

edit: Here's a preview of what reopening is going to look like.  Remember, if there's no stay at home order, you can't get unemployment.  You can go to work in a hot zone, or you can quit.

8 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

That's not the really disturbing one to me, particularly.  It's the notion of the surveillance state, which may well become real.  Large gatherings are just nitroglycerine being transported in a truck with bad shocks.  (My take on 'large' gatherings is at least 500, and generally more like in the thousands.  I don't expect fans in attendance at games for some time.)

And I was thinking about one of their other points.  Shopping malls are going to have a very rough go of things.  I'm not sure how well they'll do.  On the one hand, it's much easier to get a wrong size online, and things can look different in person than onscreen.  There are advantages to shopping live.  On the other...when you *don't* need these things, online is much easier, and we're seeing a major shift to online shopping.

The travel industry is also going to take it on the chin, in the gut, and in the groin for a long time.