Coronavirus

Steve

14 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

This is the 8th and hidden sign of the Apocalypse.

We. Are. Doomed.

On a personal note, I just lost some excess weight and got my money woes under some measure of control. Then the Apocalypse happens.

If there's a sign the universe hates me, this is it.

1 hour ago, ScottishFox said:

This is the 8th and hidden sign of the Apocalypse.

We. Are. Doomed.

The Ninth Sign.

The World Series of Poker has been postponed.  They're trying to get a date in the fall, but date and event schedule are TBD.  

So now we can't even draw to the two-outer...

4 hours ago, Badger said:

on a basic level, I do get the protestors, it has nothing to do with haircuts (as one certain CNN host who is longer on wind than intelligence*, would have you believe).  People are desperate because money is low (Old Man has covered to why) for people.  People need money to pay mortgages (shelter). Buy food.  ANd other needed materials.  Those problems are real, they have to be dealt with.  You may or may not catch a disease.  Some people do consider a chance vs a sure thing, worry more about the latter.  And people do things they might not have done, when they feel necessities are threatened.

Some other bills and fees are more complicated.  But, what should have been done most of all, would be a halt/freeze on mortgage payments (including interest) until this blows over.  The banks can still get their money on a 3-4 months later basis, cant see how it hurts them all that much (essentially go along as if the 3 months or whatever it turns out to be never happened).  Bills are a bit more complicated, but solving that mortgage part, would've strung the money out further.

Of course,  on an actual level, protest, seems to be a bad idea, let's say.

*Note sure I am allowed to say the blunter version that popped up in my mind

You have hit on a basic difficulty with this whole situation. Since there are no good measures we can take, we must attempt to find the least bad, and that is something nobody likes. I do get at least part of the case to ease or eliminate lockdown.

There's this one podcast by a self-appointed expert on the current status of the various stimulus packages. Mostly he regurgitates the information that is generally out there and easily locate-able with basic research. He's what the YouTube algorithm comes up with when I look for video updates. Well, I saw that the title on his latest episode promises a "giant" market crash. I shy away from videos like that, so I don't know his argument.

Still, these are not normal times. Who knows how bad things will get?

4 hours ago, Hermit said:

This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,
and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy,
for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the
writing be erased. Deny it.' cried the Spirit, stretching out
its hand towards the city. 'Slander those who tell it ye.
Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse.
And abide the end.'

-Dickens 

It's late April, and A Chirstmas Carol is as appropriate as ever.

32 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Ninth Sign.

The World Series of Poker has been postponed.  They're trying to get a date in the fall, but date and event schedule are TBD.  

32 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Ninth Sign.

But, ESPN, considers that the #1 sport in the world.  (judging by coverage)

32 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

You have hit on a basic difficulty with this whole situation. Since there are no good measures we can take, we must attempt to find the least bad, and that is something nobody likes. I do get at least part of the case to ease or eliminate lockdown.

There's this one podcast by a self-appointed expert on the current status of the various stimulus packages. Mostly he regurgitates the information that is generally out there and easily locate-able with basic research. He's what the YouTube algorithm comes up with when I look for video updates. Well, I saw that the title on his latest episode promises a "giant" market crash. I shy away from videos like that, so I don't know his argument.

Still, these are not normal times. Who knows how bad things will get?

Yeah, pretty much agree.  JUst pointing out, the protestors though grossly misguided, might be getting a bad rap (at least some are)  largely by a bunch of journalists whose only strength in life is the ability to talk in front of a camera and who get the luxury of removing themselves from the equation of this mess.  (and on the matter of those "haircuts" could probably get one to come to them, unlike the masses).  SO, certain numbers of them, maybe should just shut the ….up.

I might not be happy with people running around protesting, but I don't want the media to be ones the speak on my behalf on it, since many of them haven't thrown much value on the table to lose.   (apologies to any on-site reporters since they obviously do, of course)

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

But, ESPN, considers that the #1 sport in the world.  (judging by coverage)

Not really.  ESPN was only going to cover the Main Event;  they were starting with Day 1 this year.  But it's only 1 channel of the 2 they have, and it's July...so, IIRC, after the College World Series and before the All Star Game.  They've got 2 networks...what's going on in July, really?  Golf's daytime.  They don't have the Tour de France.  Wimbledon would be more like 4 or 5 AM to around 4 PM.  NBA would be done;  NFL would just have camps opening up.  Realistically, the biggest option would be baseball.  There's a LOT of conflicts with baseball;  the local broadcast rights tromp what ESPN can show except on their reserved nights (Sunday Night, and I believe the first game Wednesday night).  And several evenings, the coverage started at 10 Eastern...which leaves a full window for an Eastern TZ baseball game to start at 7.  

I think ESPN only went that far because Poker Central is extensively involved, and sharing the load.  AND, probably, paying for a decent number of ads.  It won't be McEachern and Chad for that much of it...Nejad, McEachern, and Jeff Platt for play by play, with Schulman, Maria Ho, or Chad.  Negreanu might show for a while (esp. on a day 1 or 2 he's not playing).

If the WSOP *does* schedule for the fall, life's trickier.  September brings the pennant races, the start of the college football season, and of course the NFL.  That's now tying up a lot more broadcast hours.  October is worse in a way;  ESPN does quite a lot of Thursday and Friday night college football.  

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

It's not that it hates us.  It just doesn't care.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Which, if anything, is worse.

Nope. I want Nature to disregard us as much as possible. Because if it ever did come to actively hate us, what it could do to us would make everything else we've ever been through look like a picnic. :fear:

And, to be honest, we've given it plenty of reason to hate us already.

10 hours ago, Tjack said:

Great!  Stupid people are finally killing themselves off and thus making future generations a little bit smarter.

Usually they do things like drive drunk or fail to vaccinate their litters of kids, killing off stupid and smart randomly.

Nothing in the story suggests they are killing themselves PRIOR to procreation... 🙂

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, the quarantine experiment is a one time thing.  Humanity or at least civilization cant survive doing it everytime this or something like it comes around.    

I disagree.  I think both humanity AND civilisation can survive.  I think we might even end with a better civilisation if this was a regular occurrence. 

Humanity survived for thousands of years in its battle with disease and our civilisation has just been (economically/socially) inoculated on how to deal with this.  It also flushes out incompetents in ways that are difficult to disown.

We would be better at it next time and better again the time after that.  Once we swallow the initial impact we adapt. It's what makes us so resilient.

I am determined to approach this with a level of optimism.

Doc