Coronavirus

Steve

4 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Nothing in the story suggests they are killing themselves PRIOR to procreation... 🙂

The original post referenced the pic of a bottle of chewable Clorox bleach.   “Now in fruit flavors for kids!”

This Japanese Island Lifted Its Coronavirus Lockdown Too Soon and Became a Warning to the World

Hokkaido’s story is a sobering reality check for leaders across the world as they consider easing coronavirus lockdowns: Experts say restrictions were lifted too quickly and too soon because of pressure from local businesses, coupled with a false sense of security in its declining infection rate.

“Hokkaido shows, for example, that what’s happening in the U.S. with individual governors opening up is very dangerous; of course you can’t close interstate traffic but you need to put controls in place,” says Kazuto Suzuki, Vice Dean of International Politics at Hokkaido University. “That’s what we now know: Even if you control the first wave, you can’t relax.”

2 hours ago, Tjack said:

The original post referenced the pic of a bottle of chewable Clorox bleach.   “Now in fruit flavors for kids!”

Hey, we have a statistically significant number of people who think bleach cures autism. Why not Coronavirus?

We had somebody from the state Poison Control Center come talk to our summer program a couple of years ago. Turns out it's almost impossible to drink enough bleach to kill yourself. The high sodium level triggers almost immediate vomiting. It'll sting when you drink it, and it'll sting even more when it comes back up. But to get to the point where you can drink enough bleach to kill you, you almost have to build up a tolerance for it.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

We had somebody from the state Poison Control Center come talk to our summer program a couple of years ago. Turns out it's almost impossible to drink enough bleach to kill yourself. The high sodium level triggers almost immediate vomiting. It'll sting when you drink it, and it'll sting even more when it comes back up. But to get to the point where you can drink enough bleach to kill you, you almost have to build up a tolerance for it.

Well, when I have drank orange juice too near bedtime, and evidently I burp or something in my sleep, and it comes back up.  The coughing/burning of the throat as the OJ-bile combo get in my throat.

Well, I'd rather not think about this.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, when I have drank orange juice too near bedtime, and evidently I burp or something in my sleep, and it comes back up.  The coughing/burning of the throat as the OJ-bile combo get in my throat.

Well, I'd rather not think about this.

Been there, unfortunately.  Reflux at 3 am is not when, or how, I care to have my sleep disturbed.

Enema's don't trigger the vomit reflex.

<Taps finger on side of head>

Edit: this is sarcasm. DO NOT administer bleach enemas, or enemas of any cleaning products, to yourself, your children, or anyone else. I shouldn't have to say this part, but these days you never know.

3 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

Bleach flavored kool-aid

Cherry flavored Clorox!

Now I can’t get the image of Trump wearing the Jim Jones caftan, sitting in that big wicker chair saying “Come my children,  Drink the Kool-Aid!”  Before it’s too late!”   
   Are you old enough to remember that Jonestown mini-series that starred Powers Booth?

Despite how deeply disappointing politics in general, and in the United States in particular, have grown, I believe it would be a huge disservice to tar all politicians with the same brush. I'm convinced there are still some who care about their constituents, who want to do the right thing. Because that's human nature -- there are always heroes among the bastards. We've seen it during this pandemic crisis -- for all the political a-holes who make things worse, there have been others who have risen to the occasion. And they need our support and our hope, more than ever.

Giving up, giving in to despair, is natural, and it's easy. But it never made anything better. We have to keep fighting to make things better, because our children and grandchildren will live in the world we leave them. And we have to recognize and back those among our would-be leaders who are fighting too, even if they're not perfect.

I remember hearing a lecturer on "the greatest generation," those who came of age during the Great Depression and WW II. He said what made them great was that they weren't afraid. They weren't afraid to care about others. They weren't afraid to put themselves on the line to help and protect. They weren't afraid to open themselves to the world. There are political and social forces in the world now who thrive on fear. They stoke it to try to beat us down, to make us give up and hand ourselves over to them. Don't let them.