Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If you look carefully, you can see that Marvel did make sure that the Spider-Man they put out wasn't the same as the one Sony did.  Different costume, different Mary Jane, different Aunt May, not just actresses but as different in appearance and style as possible.  Almost as if they were deliberately doing an elseworlds version, not the Sony world.

Marisa Tomei has been May Parker in every Tom Holland Spider-Man appearance, including the two Sony movies, and Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Endgame. I'm not certain what you mean by your post.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Marisa Tomei has been May Parker in every Tom Holland Spider-Man appearance, including the two Sony movies, and Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Endgame. I'm not certain what you mean by your post.

These changes are what he's talking about. The current Spider-Man is a Sony-Marvel collaboration. He's saying they took a strong swerve away from the prior two Sony incarnations of Spider-Man. (Though in this case Ultimate universe, which influences all of the MCU versions of characters to some degree, not Elseworlds.)

I understand this is about money, but given that the 2 spider-man movies have been Sony's biggest money makers, maybe they should learn something Fox never did and ended up with them returning FF and X-Men to Disney, that Feige and Marvel MIGHT know what they are doing with these characters and what made people like them in the comics and what to bring to the big screen. I am super disappointed, as I saw something about how the reveal of Peter as Spidey at the end of far from home could be a way to introduce Jen Walters, or even use Matt Murdoch, as he will need a lawyer who knows supers. This is VERY disappointing and I actually hope it gets straightened out.

How many times have we said, the worst Marvel film (sort of like Pixar - what do they have in common?) are better then 2/3 of the stuff that comes out of the other studios. And I would say better then 90% of the other studios super movies (the exceptions, to me being the first 2 Raime Spidermen, first X-Men, and maybe one or two of the other X-men, also Wonder Woman and Aquaman if counting the other comic line).

Amy Pascal may very well believe that she doesn't need Feige anymore in order for this incarnation of Spider-Man to continue succeeding for Sony. She may believe it is a brand that can't fail now. Time will tell whether she and Sony are correct in that assessment.

Regardless, I'm sure that the moment Disney proposed owning a 50% stake in the Spider-Man franchise, Sony immediately closed ranks and pointed their proverbial sarissas at Disney and what they perceived as the opening move in a hostile takeover masquerading as a benign business agreement.

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Both sides are greedy as heck.. that's their thing.

But Disney wasn't exactly hurting when you consider the royalties of Spider-Man's MERCH is theirs :)

They're going to get that anyway. Sony has tried to boost up their IP and most of them have only made their costs back or failed. If someone else was taking one of my properties (which I have to keep making movies to keep anyway), and making a billion dollars and giving me half, I would be like okay, let's do this

CES 

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sony is being run by imbeciles if they don't rent out Spider-Man to Disney on a permanent basis.

Except that it would appear Disney doesn't want to continue renting Spider-Man from Sony. They basically want to stop renting and own half of it outright. I'm sure you can understand why Sony doesn't like this idea.

I would point out, does this mean Sony in the next 2 movies don't get to mention Tony Stark, Shield, Fury, Happy (Spidey's go to guy and May's new boy toy), etc.? Think how much they will have to retcon if you can't use that stuff, not to mention that the Battle of New York and the tech from that played a central part of the first movie and Stark played a big part o the second one. Also, do they still get to mention the Snap? I assume this goes both ways, or they are paying Disney a bunch of royalties anyway.

I wouldn't mind a reboot at all since they made so many unnecessary changes to the character and setting.  But Holland does a great job with the character, so I would want to keep him.  Give Sam Raimi back the keys, too he's the only director and writer yet who seems to have actually read any of the comics.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

From a cold hearted business perspective, it's interesting to wonder whether 95% of the profits of a non-MCU Spider-Man film would be more than 50% of the profits of an MCU Spider-Man film.

We have Amazing Spider-Man 2 for comparison.