Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, zslane said:

Out of curiosity, what, exactly, is the goal of trying to convince anyone here what Marvel could or could not do about this?

There is no goal.  This is the geek equivalent of a bunch of guys holding beers standing around a barbecue and saying things like  “Ya’ know, you should stack those coals in a pyramid to get ‘em to light faster.”  and  “You don’t wanna make those burgers too thick or else their gonna come out raw.”  to the one person whose actually doing the work.

Just a summertime analogy.

Pretty much like Tjack said, but was going to use the analogy of a few guys having around another house, drinking wine, and give speeches on "What Marvel could do in-universe with Black Panther" until that one person (Socrates) shows up with "all the answers". #Symposium 

I've kind of assumed that the herb does some kind of genetic transformation rather than some kind of mystical transformation.

If you assume a genetic transformation, there's a lot of ways around the problem.

1) There's likely be to genetic samples of previous Black Panthers such as T'Challa's father. If a new Black Panther got their link to the ancestors through him, maybe he could appear on the ancestral plane in the next movie. 

2) T'Challa could have stores of his own blood already banked up in the event that he suffered serious injuries and needed transfusions. It's not unusual for real world heads of state to do such things. Pull some of that DNA and splice it into a different herb. Since Wakanda had been without a Black Panther for a number of years, I'd be surprised if they hadn't already been working on something like that.

On the other hand, if the herb does a mystical transformation, Marvel still does have a master of the mystic arts to turn to. As strange as it maybe be, he could help enable some other path for a candidate to access the Black Panther power. Someone has obviously created the mystic artifacts which are in the Sanctum Sanctorum. Maybe the current Sorcerer Supreme could create a mystic artifact for Wakanda to use.

7 hours ago, Tjack said:

There is no goal.  This is the geek equivalent of a bunch of guys holding beers standing around a barbecue and saying things like  “Ya’ know, you should stack those coals in a pyramid to get ‘em to light faster.”  and  “You don’t wanna make those burgers too thick or else their gonna come out raw.”  to the one person whose actually doing the work.

Just a summertime analogy.

I was more thinking about the sports fans, each and every one of whom knows better than the GMs and coaches exactly how to fix the team's performance.

There is already precedent for no T'Challa in the comics. His sister, Shuri has donned the suit or multiple occasions. 

The real problem the MCU has is that T'Challa was being steered into the leadership role for the remaining heroes. With him gone, Cap retired and Captain Marvel based in space, there is no natural leader left unless they put Fury back in charge.

11 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

There is already precedent for no T'Challa in the comics. His sister, Suri has donned the suit or multiple occasions. 

The real problem the MCU has is that T'Challa was being steered into the leadership role for the remaining heroes. With him gone, Cap retired and Captain Marvel based in space, there is no natural leader left unless they put Fury back in charge.

The Wasp is already introduced and shown as being very competent and professional.

Winter Soldier is a professional but in a slightly different profession.

Perhaps Jane Foster after Love and Thunder.

Doctor Strange could form the Defenders.

Sif is still alive since she wasn't on Asgard during the events of Thor: Ragnarok (according to Kevin Feige).

Don't know how they'll deal with Shang-Chi's character but his movie his supposed to be out next May.

If you go out beyond phase 4, they've got a Fantastic Four movie in the plans. I'd like to see Reed Richards in a mastermind role and perhaps do cameos in non-FF movies.

A good chance at a Blade movie. Definitely a Deadpool movie. Definitely multiple X-Men/mutant movies.

And Marvel Studios might be looking forward to making a few movies without having to pay for a natural leader.

You can look at salary progression for their top talent from one movie to the next and see that it's in the studio's best financial interests to groom unknown actors into new talent.

I think they can do isolated movies without a leader, but one is crucial for the longer term.  You can argue one of the issues with the DC movies is the lack of a leader.  They're predominately standalone stories, not developing much on each other.  The leader makes the whole storyline work better.  I don't think the MCU would've been NEARLY as successful without Robert Downey's Tony Stark.

Doc Strange might fill in for a bit but his major concern is different.

Does Marvel have FF and X-Men as theirs now?  Two possibles there...Beast and Reed Richards.  

51 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Does Marvel have FF and X-Men as theirs now?  Two possibles there...Beast and Reed Richards.  

Marvel has both and are planning on movies for both. But not in phase 4 which covers through 2022. So after that at some point. 

Phase 4 TV series (roughly in chronological order) are

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

WandaVision

Loki

What If?

Hawkeye

Ms. Marvel

Moonknight

She-Hulk

Phase 4 movies in order are

Black Widow

Eternals

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Spider-Man: Definitely Father Out Than Before (very unofficial working title)

Thor: Love and Thunder

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

So it doesn't look like they're necessarily going for a high degree of connectiveness over the next couple of years.

I would have liked for the Agents of SHIELD concept to have been re-cast and continued in some form in order to more closely tie together things. I had hopes they were going to costume up Mockingbird a couple of seasons back when they had the perfect actress playing that role.

If they feature the Avengers as a group rather than individuals appearing in other characters' movies, I think Rhodey is the most natural remaining leader, and the last two movies have done the work of integrating him fully with the team rather than being a guest star. Doesn't hurt that Don Cheadle is an Academy and Emmy Award-nominated actor (who's also been nominated for a whole slew of Screen Actors Guild Awards, and won a couple of ensemble ones).

Of course, Spider-Man is likely the flagship character of the MCU moving forward, but that's a separate thing from Avengers team leader.

17 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Carol Danvers is probably going to be set up as Avengers leader now. 

Could happen, but there probably would be considerable pushback in making her the leader.

What's horrible...y'lknow who MIGHT pull off taking over the role of T'challa?  Michael B. Jordan.  But that is beyond impossible.  Finding an actor with the right qualities to replace him is only simply impossible.  Because it won't be just professionally.  

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Could happen, but there probably would be considerable pushback in making her the leader.

What's horrible...y'lknow who MIGHT pull off taking over the role of T'challa?  Michael B. Jordan.  But that is beyond impossible.  Finding an actor with the right qualities to replace him is only simply impossible.  Because it won't be just professionally.  

I was searching my brain for a replacement actor and the best choice i could come up with was Mahershala Ali but he has been cast as Blade. I'm guessing that that could be changed and they could go with an unknown in the Blade role.

43 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Everything I've read says she was already being set up behind the scenes as the leader from the beginning.

I've ready that Sony doesn't want Spider-Man playing second fiddle to Larson. I've read that Disney doesn't want stars or movies pandering to any cause outside of Profit.

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

I've ready that Sony doesn't want Spider-Man playing second fiddle to Larson. I've read that Disney doesn't want stars or movies pandering to any cause outside of Profit.

It's not necessary for Spider-Man to be an Avenger. Most of his history has been as an outsider. As for profit, Disney has learned that listening to Kevin Feige brings them a lot of money.

Honestly I think they'll kick the can down the road.  Coronavirus has delayed a lot of movie releases, so I don't think a sequel in 2022 was going to happen anyway.  Everyone will understand if Black Panther 2 gets pushed back a while as Marvel figures out what to do.

Boseman was a perfect Black Panther, and they can't just slide anybody in there to take over his spot.  Whatever the script for part 2 happened to be, it'll be completely different now.  They're gonna have to figure out how this fits in with the larger Marvel Universe.  From what bits and pieces I've gathered, nobody at Marvel knew he was dying.

They'll probably include a scene in an upcoming movie (Black Widow has already been filmed, and Eternals is apparently done as well, so something after that), they'll put in something about T'Challa dying.  With CGI today they can probably show his face, have him deliver a few lines, and then have him in the suit.  That could give him an action-style death, if they wanted.

7 hours ago, massey said:

From what bits and pieces I've gathered, nobody at Marvel knew he was dying.

I wonder if, as an actor, he needed to keep that secret for fear he would not be offered certain roles.  If you think your lead may not be able to finish shooting, or may not be around to shoot sequels if you are looking for a franchise, knowledge of his condition could have hurt the career he would have been hoping to continue after recovering.

I'm just in awe of what he was able to do while undergoing treatment. I'd thought his performance in Black Panther wasn't *quite* as good as in Civil War, but knowing he was suffering from Stage III cancer at the time and likely the side effects of chemo as well... like, I'm not doing my best work if I have a headache or ate some sketchy bar food the night before. Working at all through what he was experiencing is quite a feat, nevermind intense fight choreography and turning in an acting performance that good.