DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I didn't really like Affleck as Batman, but he wasn't awful.  Then again he didn't have to do it for a full movie solo, and I just cannot see that working any better than when he was Daredevil.  Keaton was the real shocker, it frankly stuns me anyone even considered him for the role.  But he was damn fine in it.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

I think Affleck was a decent choice, and the fact that his version of the character didn't strike a deep chord with audiences isn't really his fault.

As for Keaton, well, I guess he was okay. I must be the only person who never thought he was all that great in the role. He made for a serviceable Bruce Wayne, but I don't feel he was a convincing Batman. The whole "put him in body armor with fake muscles" approach was started with Keaton because he didn't have the physique to be a superhero, and the precedent it set in Hollywood has been truly unfortunate, in my view.

Here's where subjectivity comes into play. I was impressed with Affleck as an older Bruce Wayne and Batman. In that I fall within the vast majority of comments that I heard, from critics and moviegoers, in person and online, that his was one of the best cinematic translations of the character as he appears in comics, if not the best. Audience connection to Affleck in the role had nothing to do with him leaving it. OTOH I was never impressed with Keaton's version. He always seemed to me to be uncomfortable with the character, not willing to fully commit to it like his fellow cast members did. In later interviews he all but admitted to that. (And yeah, the fake muscles trend was unfortunate.)

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

I like him as Daredevil as well. I remember seeing the film in the cinema. 

I never understood all the fan contempt for Ben's Daredevil. I thought it one of the more faithful comic-book adaptations from its era. Certainly not a perfect film, but with a lot to recommend it.

50 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I never understood all the fan contempt for Ben's Daredevil.

Again...the teeter-totter scene is an ungodly piece of horrid and wretched cinema that nukes the entire film like Nagasaki.  Go away.  Go away.  Die.  Die.  Die.  It screams, "Hi, I'm Hollywood.  DID YOU REALLY THINK WE'D TAKE YOUR GENRE SERIOUSLY!  HAHAHAHAHA!  From this point on in the movie Elektra and Daredevil are silly and stupid rom-com characters!  BLEEP YOU!  BLEEP YOU!"

Nuff said.

Yeah that's my reaction as well.  They didn't treat the story with respect in some parts, and did in others.  It was like they had multiple writers or something on the story and part of it was just mocking fans but others were pretty solid.  I also didn't like how they handled Elektra at all (they didn't handle her well in the Netflix show either, for that matter) but that was less of an issue.  I wasn't super fond of Affleck's "I'm so exhausted I can barely walk after a day on the street" interpretation particularly, either, but I like my heroes more heroic and less merely human.

18 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Again...the teeter-totter scene is an ungodly piece of horrid and wretched cinema that nukes the entire film like Nagasaki.  Go away.  Go away.  Die.  Die.  Die.  It screams, "Hi, I'm Hollywood.  DID YOU REALLY THINK WE'D TAKE YOUR GENRE SERIOUSLY!  HAHAHAHAHA!  From this point on in the movie Elektra and Daredevil are silly and stupid rom-com characters!  BLEEP YOU!  BLEEP YOU!"

Nuff said.

I didn't know Zack Snyder was involved with Daredevil.  Or Electra. 

:sneaky:

45 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Don’t hold back, Jeff. Tell us how you really feel. 

;)