DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

50 minutes ago, Bazza said:

That could make Dr Fate a Dr Strange variant. 

I'm sure many moviegoers unfamiliar with the comics will think so. Ironically, Pierce Brosnan is on record as claiming Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Strange was one of the things that inspired him to take on the role of Fate.

I thought Brosnan's work was more fun and interesting than Cumerbund Bandersnatch's.  I've seen the latter play an arrogant know it all in like 15 roles now.

Victor did the same thing, and even re-created the universe from nothingness.

Yeah I'm gonna chalk that up to "crap that happened after I stopped reading Marvel Comics because they got really awful and stupid"

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the new Co-CEOs have decided to go in a new direction with all the previous “DCEU” cast being let go. Alternatively the main cast is staying, but existing projects cancelled in favour of new ones. We will hopefully know when Gunn & the other person meets with the CEO. 

in news from the “other” company:

Henry Cavill is being more gracious than Warner, Gunn, and Safran deserve. He announced his return to the role in October because the studio told him to. This was before Safran and Gunn were hired.

If those two want to clean house and start fresh, I'm betting Gal Gadot is next on the chopping block.

Apparently they parted on good terms, from what I understand Cavill is being cut as Superman not because they don't like him, but because the movies are not making money and WB needs to cut costs.  Its time for a new unknown like Christopher Reeve to take the role.  I cannot picture Wonder Woman without Gal Gadot, but I don't think she's quite as expensive because her career is still pretty small.  I don't care if Affleck ever plays Batman again.

12 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Henry Cavill is being more gracious than Warner, Gunn, and Safran deserve. He announced his return to the role in October because the studio told him to. This was before Safran and Gunn were hired.

If those two want to clean house and start fresh, I'm betting Gal Gadot is next on the chopping block.

8 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Apparently they parted on good terms, from what I understand Cavill is being cut as Superman not because they don't like him, but because the movies are not making money and WB needs to cut costs.  Its time for a new unknown like Christopher Reeve to take the role.  I cannot picture Wonder Woman without Gal Gadot, but I don't think she's quite as expensive because her career is still pretty small.  I don't care if Affleck ever plays Batman again.

I'm hoping it all did end on good terms. Henry certainly is coming across as gracious about it. I have hopes that Safran and Gunn will be a lot more organized than previous WB attempts to 'make it happen' but I will miss Gal Gadot if she goes. Say what you want about Wonder Woman 1984, but the first movie was and remains a gem. Rumors have it that Mamoa's next Aquaman movie will be his last, but he may get a chance to play Lobo? No idea how serious that rumor is.

My concern with the 'younger superman' angle is that unless they make it a period piece, it could definitely block up some of the next generation heroes by comparison. Hard to imagine Jaime Reyes, the third blue beetle, being Clark Kent's age, frex. But maybe that's just my brain fighting change.

10 minutes ago, slikmar said:

Then they shouldn't have had him Cameo in Black Adam, either. If the plan is to continue forward with this version of Adam, it was a mistake to have Cavill cameo. You could have done something with Superman showing up and focus on the S and not the face.

But if they're looking to cut costs, can they retain The Rock?  

Or perhaps they'll just pay him, because he'll bring in a non-comic fan base.

I don't think they're retaining Dwayne Johnson. Black Adam seriously under-performed compared to what Warner's was hoping, and a sequel is unlikely. And that movie plan predates Safran and Gunn.

At least Johnson got to play the role he wanted for years. Like Henry Cavill, he'll have to be satisfied with that.

For my part, TBH I don't really care what Warner's does. After the whole roller-coaster of DC movies, I'm not invested. If they come out with something that looks interesting enough I may watch it, if they don't I won't miss it.

1 hour ago, dmjalund said:

If Neflix is smart, they will beg him to reclaim his role in the Witcher

Nah, this frees him up for more Enola Holmes movies.

My bet is he lands on James Bond, provided they want the next Bond to be a white male. I've heard rumors they're considering female or BIPOC Bond. Not sure how firm those are versus speculative.

Maybe Marvel will grab him. They're going to be bringing back the X-franchises eventually, so there are plenty of opportunities there. For Marvel, Captain Britain or maybe Union Jack are pretty obvious choices, let him speak in his native accent, and lesser known to movie audiences, which provides creative leeway for the actor, director and writers. Plus, Captain Britain is X-adjacent.

17 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Nah, this frees him up for more Enola Holmes movies.

My bet is he lands on James Bond, provided they want the next Bond to be a white male. I've heard rumors they're considering female or BIPOC Bond. Not sure how firm those are versus speculative.

Maybe Marvel will grab him. They're going to be bringing back the X-franchises eventually, so there are plenty of opportunities there. For Marvel, Captain Britain or maybe Union Jack are pretty obvious choices, let him speak in his native accent, and lesser known to movie audiences, which provides creative leeway for the actor, director and writers. Plus, Captain Britain is X-adjacent.

Johnson's seriously wrong for Bond, IMO.  Johnson's physicality is too brutish;  Bond is more refined.  He's too old to start in the part now, too;  he's 50.  Moore was 45 but they were desperate...and they made a huge error keeping him as Bond as long as they did.  Dalton was 40, Brosnan was 41, and Craig was 37.  I also think large chunks of the audience will never buy him as Bond simply because they'll connect him with his macho roles.

Marvel may have the same age issue, IF we're talking him taking part in multiple films.  If it's a one-off, or if it's something like Ronan the Accuser...that he could play for a good bit of time.  

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Johnson's seriously wrong for Bond, IMO.  Johnson's physicality is too brutish;  Bond is more refined. 

Bond is a commando in a suit. He should look like he has been repeatedly punched in the face. Daniel Craig or Sean Connery, not Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton, in other words.

With Connery and Craig, it was more than just looks. Yes, they both looked rugged and tough, but they also carried themselves with class. They never looked out of place in a tuxedo at a high social. Moore had the elegance, but not the physical menace. I had no problem with Dalton, though. He wasn't a pretty boy and he seemed physically capable. Importantly, he could also project the aura of a dangerous man.

Cavill is handsome, but it's a strong masculine handsomeness, which is one reason he worked as Superman. I'd have no objection in principle if he got Bond. But whatever happens, Cavill is a good actor and natural leading man, with name recognition and a solid body of work. He'll have no problem finding interesting, lucrative jobs.