It's an unpleasant day when.....

unclevlad

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 6:42 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

It's an unpleasant day when you have to put your 97 year-old dad on hospice care. 

He was on hospice all of 3 weeks.  Passed away this past Thursday afternoon, peacefully and in no pain, with family and friends by his side.  I missed being there by 5-10 minutes, but at least he wasn't alone.  And I got to see him practically every day for the last few months, and spent about 4 hours with him Wednesday evening. 

This was a man who finished high school and worked his way through college during the end of the Great Depression, flew B-24 bombers out of Italy during WWII, and not a word of complaint.  Even taking into account my own bias, I think he was one of the greatest men I've ever met, and I was blessed to have him as my father, and in my life as long as he was. 

58 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

He was on hospice all of 3 weeks.  Passed away this past Thursday afternoon, peacefully and in no pain, with family and friends by his side.  I missed being there by 5-10 minutes, but at least he wasn't alone.  And I got to see him practically every day for the last few months, and spent about 4 hours with him Wednesday evening. 

This was a man who finished high school and worked his way through college during the end of the Great Depression, flew B-24 bombers out of Italy during WWII, and not a word of complaint.  Even taking into account my own bias, I think he was one of the greatest men I've ever met, and I was blessed to have him as my father, and in my life as long as he was. 

I was always fascinated talking about the past with older members of the family as a kid.   In hindsight, I think the elders being Great Depression survivors learned lessons that at least for me proved valuable, and that it seems the more generations that have passed, we are losing that needed perspective.  

Thank you all for the kind words.  I never really thought of Dad as a badass.  He was the kindest, most even-tempered man I've ever known.  I've only seen him really lose his temper once - someone 20-30 years his junior made the mistake of saying, "Bill, you've never had to do without."  I was outside the building they were in, and could hear Dad clear as a bell... "I've never had to do without?!  YOU never went through the Depression!  YOU never went through the Dust Bowl!  YOU never fought in the war!"  That's the only time I ever heard him come close to complaining. Otherwise, he was the type to find a silver lining in the darkest storm. 

Badger has it right.  That generation had a unique perspective, and truly were the Greatest Generation (at least IMO).  We could all stand to learn a lot from them.

But I don't want to hijack this thread, so that's all I'll say here. 

2 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Thank you all for the kind words.  I never really thought of Dad as a badass.  He was the kindest, most even-tempered man I've ever known. 

My condolences as well.

When I was a lad, I read an article about Bruce Lee in a children's magazine called Dynamite. In it, Lee said that one of the lessons of kung fu is that (I paraphrase) when you're really tough, you don't need to brag about how tough you are or try to prove it to other people. Because you know, and you are not afraid.

Dean Shomshak

• 2 weeks later...

When you finally come to the realization, that looking for a job for the first time since 2003, and too many damn employers want online resumes, and your online resume making skills suck. 

And even though you are applying to a place 5 miles away from home still wants a damn online resume, when you have a print out of your resume in your damn car.

ANybody know how to send an actual resume to an actual company instead of getting jobhat.com crap.

Edit: starting to figure out how to contact, but uploading a resume is going to be beyond my capabilities (unless by "upload" it means below my message I can take my saved file of my resume on my computer, hit Ctrl+C and drag then apply it onto it below my name).   My computer knowledge is set around 2000 and it isn't moving forward.  And it took much angst and profanity through the years to get that far.

Thanks, I see what I can do with it Monday.  I am taking the weekend off from it and starting fresh.  I do know how to make resumes (maybe not great at it, but I am decent) it is all the doing things online that is throwing me.  Last time I was looking for work (2002) there wasn't much online doings with this stuff (at least not in my area).  They've completely changed the rules on me since then.

I feel your pain, Badger. I had to set up about five different online accounts during the application/onboarding process for the job I just started. And this was the more streamlined company of the two I applied for. Thankfully, I got the job. I don't know if I'd have had the endurance to  go through the nonsense repeatedly. Good luck.