Coronavirus

Steve

Just now, unclevlad said:

This will be going to court.

No question.  Hawaii's quarantine is already being challenged by a mainland group. 

It's funny, I seem to recall being told that the Constitution wasn't a suicide pact.  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

No question.  Hawaii's quarantine is already being challenged by a mainland group. 

It's funny, I seem to recall being told that the Constitution wasn't a suicide pact.  Perhaps I misunderstood. 

Other states did quarantines but this one is targeted...for logical reasons, but it may still be viewed as discriminatory.  AND there's a good chance it's gonna be politicized, despite the fact that the criteria are metrics-based.

And there's this story:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/us/coronavirus-limits.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

TL;DR -- some places are starting to increase restrictions again.  This is leading to a complete, disjointed mess.  OK, MORE of one.  And it's going to be even more loathed, and therefore less observed.  (And may well deteriorate to violence.)

I think one issue that might come up for the NY quarantine is that they are making exemptions for their sports teams.

Players from the Mets and Yankees who have been in Florida but are coming back to New York for an abbreviated and late spring training will not be required to quarantine, Mr. Cuomo said. The state had been working on separate “health protocols” with them since last week, he said. - NY Times.

Case counts are spiking right now.  ICU admissions lag case numbers by about 3 weeks, and then deaths follow that by a week or two.  So by mid-late July, we're likely to either be back to where we were in April...or worse off than that. And then we're back to a second lockdown, or alternatively a real health care system meltdown in August.  Holding the political conventions will seem insane if this is the scenario that comes to pass.  

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

You can check in any time you like but can never leave.

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I think one issue that might come up for the NY quarantine is that they are making exemptions for their sports teams.

Players from the Mets and Yankees who have been in Florida but are coming back to New York for an abbreviated and late spring training will not be required to quarantine, Mr. Cuomo said. The state had been working on separate “health protocols” with them since last week, he said. - NY Times.

IOW, even if they've been in states with high rates, they should have been isolated from those rates.  So I understand the exemption.  However, yes, I can see where it might be used in arguments trying to overturn this.  

One thing this does say?  MLB may have a BEAR of a time trying to do ANY kind of schedule.  Same for the NBA;  they wanted to do all their stuff in Orlando, IIRC.  Today, Florida's rate is about 1 case per 4000 people;  if it was a country, it'd be about 4th highest in the world.  (Altho some other states might be higher;  I'm thinking Arizona.)

Insofar as a national-level reopening, IMO we're in a WORSE position than we were 3 months ago.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

That was what the 1861-65 Civil War was about...

When I was very young, the public school in Central Florida that I was attending asked parents to bring in Civil War memorabilia for a show and tell. Mom brought in a cavalry sword from my Dad's side of the family, which had belonged to a colonel that served in a Maine regiment. A few southerner parents looked on in horror, and one said, "That's a Yankee sword!"

My Mom said, "Yes, it is." She paused for a moment, and then said, "We won, you know." 

29 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

When I was very young, the public school in Central Florida that I was attending asked parents to bring in Civil War memorabilia for a show and tell. Mom brought in a cavalry sword from my Dad's side of the family, which had belonged to a colonel that served in a Maine regiment. A few southerner parents looked on in horror, and one said, "That's a Yankee sword!"

My Mom said, "Yes, it is." She paused for a moment, and then said, "We won, you know." 

Probably a good thing it was your mother, rather than your father....

On 6/23/2020 at 2:51 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Job One is unskilled labor (for most of the plant, anyway).  You could very realistically train a monkey to do what most of those guys do.....

19 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I didn't know you were in Congress...  :winkgrin:

It can't be politics!

He said the monkey would need training...not be overqualified on application!

On 6/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, ScottishFox said:

Great, I'm going to lose half my friends in Manhattan thanks to Yankees groupies!

And yes indeed, a lawyer has filed suit against Cuomo/NY over the quarantine:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/attorney-sues-cuomo-over-unconstitutional-14-day-quarantine-for-out-of-state-visitors

But his argument, in the article, is basically the cat's already out of the bag, so there's no legitimate public health interest.  Someone needs to sharpen that up, because IMO that's seriously weak.  If that's his basis, I don't think the case has a snowball's chance.

59 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

And yes indeed, a lawyer has filed suit against Cuomo/NY over the quarantine:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/attorney-sues-cuomo-over-unconstitutional-14-day-quarantine-for-out-of-state-visitors

But his argument, in the article, is basically the cat's already out of the bag, so there's no legitimate public health interest.  Someone needs to sharpen that up, because IMO that's seriously weak.  If that's his basis, I don't think the case has a snowball's chance.

What's hilarious is that around 14 Republican state governors implemented 14-day quarantines for New Yorkers traveling to their states in March and April.  Turnabout is fair play.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

What's hilarious is that around 14 Republican state governors implemented 14-day quarantines for New Yorkers traveling to their states in March and April.  Turnabout is fair play.

Indeed, but if he stays with the point...that was before CV really took root in quite a few states, so it wasn't there, and probably thereby it was a reasonable public health measure.

As I said, if this is the basis, I doubt he'll get *anywhere* with it.  BUT, I also figure that he's going to become the face only, and a more competent legal task force is going to push the issue.

A rather partial representation of what is going on but how the US is being portrayed....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

Highlights for me?

"Every one of you that is obeying the Devil's laws are going to be arrested"

"these communist dictatorship orders"

"you preach pseudoscience and safety"

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Indeed, but if he stays with the point...that was before CV really took root in quite a few states, so it wasn't there, and probably thereby it was a reasonable public health measure.

Well, according to what we knew back then.  Recently released study from Penn State suggests that the infection was already more than 80x more widely spread than we thought in March.

https://news.psu.edu/story/623797/2020/06/22/research/initial-covid-19-infection-rate-may-be-80-times-greater-originally

Remarkably, the size of the observed surge of excess ILI corresponds to more than 8.7 million new cases during the last three weeks of March, compared to the roughly 100,000 cases that were officially reported during the same time period.

Now, a new study from Penn State estimates that the number of early COVID-19 cases in the U.S. may have been more than 80 times greater and doubled nearly twice as fast as originally believed.

If you click through to the study I warn you it is brutally technical and does about 14d6 statistical damage.  One of their big takeaways is that the disease is less lethal than originally thought, but also much more contagious. 

The large death numbers are based on extremely high spread of the illness and not an unusual level of lethality.  Not that this especially matters if you're one of the very sick ones.

Some of the states that had lower infection rates are going to get a BIG surge (Texas, Florida, etc.).

Ye Olde FoxTech Texas Monitor shows:

image.png.6379c06908445b1ed3a1771e85f0f62a.png

Deaths in our area ticked up to 3.9 per 100,000.  Still a very low rate.

Texas at 2300 deaths and rising. 

We'll see how that looks in 10 days after all the new cases have enough time for people to get violently ill or not. :(

4 minutes ago, Doc Democracy said:

A rather partial representation of what is going on but how the US is being portrayed....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-53174415/they-want-to-throw-god-s-wonderful-breathing-system-out

Highlights for me?

"Every one of you that is obeying the Devil's laws are going to be arrested"

"these communist dictatorship orders"

"you preach pseudoscience and safety"

There's the US public education system for you.  They want you just smart enough to handle a factory job (Thanks, Prussia!) but not smart enough to critically think.

11 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

There's the US public education system for you.  They want you just smart enough to handle a factory job (Thanks, Prussia!) but not smart enough to critically think.

The head of the Department of Education would actually like to dismantle the public education system. Why pay for something when you've already outsourced the factory jobs to other countries?