Coronavirus

Steve

Brooklyn Nets have 4 players testing positive for coronavirus.  Including KD.

French Open tennis championships postponed until September...in theory.  I have a hard time believing they can fit it in;  the tennis calendar is full.  The French tennis federation runs it;  their president said "it is unthinkable" to not hold it altogether.  Yes, well, prepare to have the rest of the world jump on your backside and POUND YOU for that arrogance.  IF it's not delayed, the US Open would be a week before...different surface, different continent.  Players are pushing back already.  

So, a rather morbid thought crossed my mind earlier today. What happens when we lose our first star?

A big name actor, perhaps? A famous musician? Maybe even an athlete?

In the latter case: If it's some relief pitcher or 3rd-string shooting guard from the NBA, maybe it's not a big deal. But what if it's a name everybody knows? What if it's somebody like Rudy Gobert, or Donovan Mitchell? What if it's Kevin Durant? What if it's LeBron James?

What if it's more than one of them?

Would we see the kind of response we saw with the death of Kobe Bryant? (Without the huge crowds, obviously.)

And what if it's not just a celebrity, but an elected official or Supreme Court Justice?

How crazy are we prepared for this thing to get?

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

One thing I did not add was that panic buying British style involved polite queuing and no grabbing what someone else has.

That's pretty much how it goes in the south, too-- at least, outside the Yankified zones such as Atlanta, Savannah, and other large concentrations of carpetbaggers.

"Oh!  I hate it up here!  Look how wonderful it is in the south!  let's leave the north / west coast and head south!"

Then as soon as they get here:  "Quick!  We have to recreate everything we hated so much that we ran away from it!"

ugh.

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So, a rather morbid thought crossed my mind earlier today. What happens when we lose our first star?

Something stupid, I imagine.

I mean-- we spent six weeks mourning some tall guy who was good at sportsball.   Not to make light of death, of course-- anyone's death is a sad thing in the lives of those that knew them, and --

well, let's be honest:  it really shouldn't bug the fans as much as it does.  That I don't get.  It's not like you actually _knew_ these people.   I won't claim to be immune: I was heartbroken by Joanie Lauer's death for three or four days, but a lot of that was because she had become something of a role model for my own daughter (my daughter's not _quite_ a giant.  When she was eleven or so, she was extremely self-conscious about it, so we sat down and watched _hours_ of clips of Joanie body-slamming grown men, etc.  I wish she had taken it more on the "aspire to exercise and get in shape" direction, but it did restore her self-confidence, so that's something), and I really think that _that_ was the part that bothered me more than the death of a sexy muscular woman complete stranger.

So what happens when we lose someone famous?  The usual: the media hams it up; the people act like total morons, and I get all kinds of upset at the implication that this person was somehow more important than other people who died.  Anyone else notice the missing outspoken Hong Kong millionaire?   No?  What's your favorite sportsball / TV endorsement jockey up to these days?

But again-- to put the whole damned thing into perspective:  I had a sales rep I hadn't seen in a couple weeks come by today.  Seems he was out of commission because he and his brother both had / have it.  "Damned worst flu I've had in fifteen years" was his _exact_ description.  Yes.  It kills people.  There has always been "the flu" and "the _bad_ flu."  Always.  And people have always died, and it's almost always the elderly or immunocompromised, and yes death is sad.  But damn, stop letting Facebook and an advertisement-revenue-driven media work you into a frenzy.  When you get down to it, didn't you question every other horror story and piece of advice they tried to foist on you?  The biggest difference this year is that the media / Facebook has found the right set of buttons to push.

5 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I'll believe the part about paying every American when I get the check in the mail. (Besides, if we can;t leave our homes, how the heck can we be expected to cash a darn check?)

use an atm or drive through banking

Still zero cases in Napa. We've got crowd abatement in place, no gatherings over 50. Most of the wineries and hotels are heavily impacted. Restaurants are empty but for door dash or pickup. 

This is crazy stuff. 

Going to telecommuting at local offices. Appointment and essential services only. I'd say this is the biggest crisis I've responded to in my career, even worse than the Murrah Building in OKC, the Moore tornado, 2015 earthquake, Lake County fire, or Napa Fire Complex. 

This will devastate the nation. Already is doing so. If we can mitigate and prevent overwhelming the state's ER/ICU capacity that'll be good. The economic impact is catastrophic either way. 

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

In the latter case: If it's some relief pitcher or 3rd-string shooting guard from the NBA, maybe it's not a big deal. But what if it's a name everybody knows? What if it's somebody like Rudy Gobert, or Donovan Mitchell? What if it's Kevin Durant? What if it's LeBron James?

What if it's more than one of them?

Would we see the kind of response we saw with the death of Kobe Bryant? (Without the huge crowds, obviously.)

And what if it's not just a celebrity, but an elected official or Supreme Court Justice?

How crazy are we prepared for this thing to get?

Well, I have heard the percentage of deaths under 50 from it are pretty miniscule (around 0.5%, I think) , so the athlete angle might be somewhat unlikely.

The other mentioned groups do have the over 50 crowd, parlayed into it.  (and the over 70, it is pretty high %)

...And all non-essential businesses in Nevada ordered to shut down for 30 days. Gaming operations ends tonight at Midnight, and the businesses must be closed by Noon tomorrow. https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/sisolak-announces-closure-of-all-nonessential-businesses-1983950/

Many of us were expecting something like this, and today we had already witnessed the state-wide progressive machines (like MegaBucks) go offline this morning. My work distributed a website address via email today, and I've just checked it. I'm scheduled to report in to work tomorrow, and my company has stated that all full-time hourly and salaried team members will be paid through at least April 30, and health benefits run through at least that date as well.