Coronavirus

Steve

52 minutes ago, Starlord said:

From everything I've been hearing about the coronavirus, these announced policies sound wrong-headed. Banning overseas foreign visitors while allowing free traffic from the United States is like trying to bail out a leaking boat with a sieve. Screening at airports for symptoms won't catch the majority of infected who are asymptomatic. This isn't science, it's a PR stunt to try to calm the stock market. :angry:

24 minutes ago, Spence said:

Figures, I signed up for Dragonflight 41 this year.  Supposedly still on for August. 

It has been a while since I ran something at a con and this was untended to be my restart.

That's far enough out that it's still possible.  Warmer weather, isolation efforts...it could happnen.  On the down side, it's also possible that the "summer con season" becomes the "summer school season."  That'll impact attendance considerably.  And being able to go back to even a Mickey D's job is going to be more important for many.  

Just now, unclevlad said:

That's far enough out that it's still possible.  Warmer weather, isolation efforts...it could happnen.  On the down side, it's also possible that the "summer con season" becomes the "summer school season."  That'll impact attendance considerably.  And being able to go back to even a Mickey D's job is going to be more important for many.  

Yep, and I am sure people will want any overtime they can get for a while.

From the NY Times:

Scientists tracking the spread of the coronavirus reported Monday that, for every confirmed case, there are most likely another five to 10 people in the community with undetected infections. These often-milder cases are, on average, about half as infectious as confirmed ones, but responsible for nearly 80 percent of new cases, according to the report, which was based on data from China.

The researchers modeled the virus’s natural spread in China before the government instituted a travel ban and an aggressive testing policy. During that time, from December of last year through late January, about 6 in 7 cases went undetected. That situation is analogous to the current state of affairs in the United States and other Western countries, where tests are not widely available, the researchers said.

Get an informed guide to the global outbreak with our daily coronavirus newsletter.

“If we have 3,500 confirmed cases in the U.S., you might be looking at 35,000 in reality,” said Jeffrey Shaman, an epidemiologist at Columbia University and the senior author of the new report, which was posted by the journal Science.

The report is among the first to address two pressing questions about the pandemic: How many people are walking around with unrecognized infections, and how infectious are they? As American policymakers have begun taking more aggressive measures to slow transmission, such as canceling events and closing restaurants, access to tests for the virus has been difficult or nonexistent in much of the country.

And this is the submission itself.  Not for the technologically faint of heart.
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/13/science.abb3221?rss=1

Well, if you want to believe the media, once the great Boomer Remover Virus runs its course there should be hundreds of thousands of vacancies. 

(and I caught my local grocer price gouging amidst the panic.  Kids wanted spaghetti, so I swung by on the way home.  Things I bought yesterday are a dollar and more higher than they were yesterday when I went grocery shopping g). 

5 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Well, if you want to believe the media, once the great Boomer Remover Virus runs its course there should be hundreds of thousands of vacancies. 

(and I caught my local grocer price gouging amidst the panic.  Kids wanted spaghetti, so I swung by on the way home.  Things I bought yesterday are a dollar and more higher than they were yesterday when I went grocery shopping g). 

See, I am very much against this kind of thing but I would be very much in favour of a reverse of the BOGOF that is usual in supermarkets.  In this case I would be telling folks that the price of spaghetti/toilet paper/paracetamol is static (for one or two items), each item after that doubles in price.  That would allow for a sensible amount of preparedness - buying little bits extra, giving stores time to ramp up re-supply - and disincentivising the panic buying except for the really terminally stupid who will pay any price to screw over their neighbours...

Doc

Resistance is Futile.

NASCAR's now cancelling 7 races, taking their shutdown up to at least May 9th.  

This time they're ahead of the curve.

Doc:  to a point I can see where you're coming from with that reverse BOGO.  However...shopping yesterday, I was talking to a youngish guy who works in the meat department.  We were talking about some things...I mentioned my intent to try to do a rolling reserve.  He mentioned...he's got 4 kids.  

So what he *needs* to get through a week is rather different than what I need.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Resistance is Futile.

NASCAR's now cancelling 7 races, taking their shutdown up to at least May 9th.  

This time they're ahead of the curve.

Doc:  to a point I can see where you're coming from with that reverse BOGO.  However...shopping yesterday, I was talking to a youngish guy who works in the meat department.  We were talking about some things...I mentioned my intent to try to do a rolling reserve.  He mentioned...he's got 4 kids.  

So what he *needs* to get through a week is rather different than what I need.

The thing is, most things are not impacted by this panic buying, even your friend would be only mildly impacted by my extreme measures.  Indeed, they would probably be better off, they would be able to access SOME rice, pasta, soap, etc rather than NONE.  Shops would not run out and they could go back and get SOME more later on.

I am talking about a measure that does not stop someone buying stuff but severely slows down folk that want to corner the market and break shops ability to hold a small selection of goods.  That inability triggers others to buy LOTS too.

We either ration or provide counter incentives or people like your friend will be disproportionately affected by the panic buying.  After all, if he NEEDS more, then unavailability will hit him harder, earlier than you.

Doc

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

(and I caught my local grocer price gouging amidst the panic.  Kids wanted spaghetti, so I swung by on the way home.  Things I bought yesterday are a dollar and more higher than they were yesterday when I went grocery shopping). 

It's been enough of an issue here that our Attorney General made a statement:

Utah AG: If you're price gouging on limited supplies, stop. It's illegal.

Saw my first example of panic buying. The shop was cleaned out of pizzas, most biscuits, toilet paper and pies. Another one was ok. Some things were all gone like meats and large eggs but other things were ok. That shop had introduced rationing. 4 of any one item except toilet paper etc which was rationed at 2.

Other than that things were ok.