Coronavirus

Steve

6 hours ago, Simon said:

TL;DR: The current social distancing/self-isolation/school closure is likely to continue for a minimum of 3 months. If relaxed after 3 months, there would be a resurgence of cases with ICU peak being exceeded in October and an estimated 1.1-1.2 million deaths in the US. In order to minimize the impact of corona, the full suite of  measures would need to remain in place for up to 18 months (until general availability of a vaccine).

I'm not saying they're wrong, but...the entire economy will completely collapse if that many people have no job for anything close to that long.

And I'm worried about street-level violence this summer, as job losses lead to evictions, and homeless people will be viewed as a significant threat.  If this continues into winter?  

My deep sympathies, Norm.  My mother died 9 years ago.  It wasn't that bad because we knew it was coming.  I had time to visit for several days with her (and, as it turned out, both uncles and one aunt who I'd not seen in several decades).  When it's sudden...it's so much worse.

All the best to you.

My condolences as well Norm. My parents and in-laws live halfway across the country, so if they are adversely affected, it is going to be really tough to get to them given the state of travel now. It's going to be a struggle for a lot of people. The counseling business is likely to see a big boom when this is done.

50 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

We're on track to pass China in the next two weeks, we might even be on track to have as many cases as the rest of the world combined within the next 4-6 weeks.  

The silver lining, tarnished tho it might be, is that we're not getting new infections entirely;  we're finding the ones we've had.  At least I hope that explains some of it.

Just now, unclevlad said:

The silver lining, tarnished tho it might be, is that we're not getting new infections entirely;  we're finding the ones we've had.  At least I hope that explains some of it.

One reason, I think that 1 million death estimate is a gross estimate.  Too much unknowns, to really give anything accurate high or low.  

And don't get me wrong, it probably is the biggest pandemic since Spanish Flu, but at the end of the day,  probably want end up nowhere near as devastating as what that wrecked.

The pest control people came today. I don't know why. It's raining, and you're not supposed to spray when it's raining. Yet here they are.

In addition, when they talked to Lady P a couple of days ago, she told them not to come until next week because we're trying to self-isolate. Yet here they are.

I've already knocked on the door once, and we ignored them. If they knock again, I expect I might answer the door coughing.

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

The pest control people came today. I don't know why. It's raining, and you're not supposed to spray when it's raining. Yet here they are.

In addition, when they talked to Lady P a couple of days ago, she told them not to come until next week because we're trying to self-isolate. Yet here they are.

I've already knocked on the door once, and we ignored them. If they knock again, I expect I might answer the door coughing.

When you have to call pest control to get rid of the pest control....

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

spacer.png

Cruise ships really need to go the way of the dodo. They are just floating petri dishes. I've gone on one cruise and it was horrible. Everyone else I talk to have nothing but horror stories. I don't understand how they continue to stay in business and grow.