Coronavirus

Steve

I'm used to doing solo dinner;  it's been that way for 40 years.  (Which is sad in its own way, but it is what it is, and I made my choices and decisions a long time ago.)  

I'll probably do the same dish I did last year...a chicken roulade.  Ohhh fancy word.... :)  It just means rolled.  Take a mallet and work out your anger and frustration on some poor, innocent hunk of chicken breast.  Whip up a filling...MOST likely, it'll be bacon, onions, and mushrooms, because that doubles as a great addition to the morning eggs.  Bell pepper or poblano pepper (dark green, great earthy flavor, low heat) are possible too.  It sounds hard, but it's not.  I've been doing the filling in the oven...takes about an hour and a half but one only need stir it a bit every 15 minutes or so, and otherwise it's easy knife work.  (Plus I'm lazy, I'll just use pre-sliced fresh shrooms.)  That can be done several days in advance and kept in the fridge...as I say, I use it to make a frittata fairly regularly.  Pounding the chicken flat takes some practice, actually, and a *flat* faced tool.  And a heavy cutting board.  But it doesn't take terribly long.  Do that 1 or 2 days in advance;  sprinkle on the tasty filling and some shredded cheese;  roll it up, and wrap *tightly* with plastic wrap.  

I don't tie mine, but I rarely have kitchen twine.  It'd help.  Toothpicks are OK after you unwrap it;  when cold, it's sticky enough.  It'll tend to unravel during cooking.

What I won't do is a bottle of wine.  Did that Saturday night...first in a while.  Wow, I can't drink any more.  Screws up my sleep...screwed up sleep means I felt wasted all day Sunday.  I might see about a Saison Dupont...Belgian farmhouse ale, IMO *the* beer with roasted chicken.  Or perhaps simply some Sierra Nevada Celebration.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I will say as an essential worker, when the protests hit in June, and governors did nothing to bring back the lockdown they allegedly believed in. And even outright encouragent. I read the message clearly.  I was a sacrificial pawn for their power. I don't enjoy being used that way.

Unfortunately my sympathy isn't worth much.  And as I'm watching the third wave of this hit, I wish we could have done this right the first time... but what do I know.

6 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Unfortunately my sympathy isn't worth much.  And as I'm watching the third wave of this hit, I wish we could have done this right the first time... but what do I know.

You know you could have done better in your sleep with absolutely no information other than this was a dangerous virus than they've done with the power of the government behind them.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

Ten more refrigerated morgue trailers for El Paso

Honestly I think we should just go straight to funeral pyres.  I'm not even joking.

Preliminary paper on COVID-19 mink variant contagiousness and vulnerability to existing antibodies

Tl;dr: A bit more contagious but antibodies (and vaccines) still work on it.

I could see rich people who would want convalescent plasma from a mink.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

Again. For the millionth time. It is not about death or sickness rate of the virus. IT IS ABOUT OVERWHELMING OUR HEALTH CARE WORKERS, SERVICES AND HOSPITALS!

Which is a byproduct of the death/sickness rates, and infection rate.  They're intertwined.

But, I'm not sure what brought this on right now?  I don't recall a recent post that would seem to lead to this...?  Just curious, mind....

26 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Which is a byproduct of the death/sickness rates, and infection rate.  They're intertwined.

But, I'm not sure what brought this on right now?  I don't recall a recent post that would seem to lead to this...?  Just curious, mind....

- Death and sickness rates are used primarily to make the case that, hey, this virus is basically a flu.  So what, not so bad.  Let's go party!  Which then allows it to grow to the point where the system is overwhelmed...that's when death and severe sickness rates from far more than just COVID will skyrocket.  For many folks, this seem difficult to grasp.

- Why does anyone post anything this thread?

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

- Death and sickness rates are used primarily to make the case that, hey, this virus is basically a flu.  So what, not so bad.  Let's go party!  Which then allows it to grow to the point where the system is overwhelmed...that's when death and severe sickness rates from far more than just COVID will skyrocket.  For many folks, this seem difficult to grasp.

- Why does anyone post anything this thread?

Fine, but no one's made that statement in this thread for some time. Your post read to me as a response to such a post.  I'm pretty sure no one who's posted in the last week has the slightest misconception about the seriousness.

20 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Yeah, I do get worked up over it. Haven't seen my dad since March for the risk to his health, and at this point, I dont really expect to again.

And on matters like that my 5 stages tend to linger on anger  and reverts back several times.

But, I do thank for the sympathy, in any case.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Fine, but no one's made that statement in this thread for some time. Your post read to me as a response to such a post.  I'm pretty sure no one who's posted in the last week has the slightest misconception about the seriousness.

I posted several links with the statement.  Do I have to be responding to someone here?  If you need a reason for the statement, then how about 'frustration'.

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

I posted several links with the statement.  Do I have to be responding to someone here?  If you need a reason for the statement, then how about 'frustration'.

I have come in here ranting about the things friends of mine have said before, so I can understand Starlord's position here.

Of course, almost all my ranting is in the pol thread.

---

I've literally blocked a friends' friends on FB because they implied they were a coronavirus truther.

I literally have no time or care for that anymore.

I have sympathy for people struggling with the lockdowns and support, because they have been the worst implementation I've seen.  They've still saved lives, but...

The mention of the five stages of grief is interesting, as I had just that conversation yesterday in a Zoom appointment. After nearly eight months of isolation, I am sick of it, but I soldier on because I have no choice in the matter if I don't want to bring Covid into a building full of really vulnerable people.

I'm not quite sure what to do now, to be clear, other than continue to stay home. Restrictions in Portland are as severe as they've been in months. I am opnly allowed five total visitors in the course of the next two weeks, and in practicality will have only one (my home care worker). This leaves me for days at a time with no real social contact. I'm facing Thanksgiving with no family to visit. And my attention span is even shorter than it's been in -- SQUIRREL! -- years. I'm wondering if it's approaching the point of long-term damage,

Due to my depression flaring up with a vengeance, I was supposed to start seeing a therapist today.  My insurance would not let me televisit, so it had to be face to face.  Finished my 2 weeks of quarantine, went to the office and...

...was told I couldn't be seen today and had to reschedule because I needed to be quarantined for 28 days.  Which my medical reminder neglected to state in all of its COVID stuff.  Not to mention that I was TOLD 2 weeks by the board of health after I got my test results.

This is not helping my depression in the slightest.

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Due to my depression flaring up with a vengeance, I was supposed to start seeing a therapist today.  My insurance would not let me televisit, so it had to be face to face.  Finished my 2 weeks of quarantine, went to the office and...

...was told I couldn't be seen today and had to reschedule because I needed to be quarantined for 28 days.  Which my medical reminder neglected to state in all of its COVID stuff.  Not to mention that I was TOLD 2 weeks by the board of health after I got my test results.

That all sucks, but honestly we're all just glad you're still breathing. 

20 hours ago, Cygnia said:

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

That all sucks, but honestly we're all just glad you're still breathing. 

I echo what Old Man said.  We're all happy that you're breathing, and at least energetic enough to type.  I'll venture that I speak (type?) for many when I wish you a smooth recovery in the physical and mental/emotional arenas, and in the meantime I'm happy for whatever steps you take, however small.

For my part, I am stepping away from my dojo at least through the holiday season.  It's been a blessed emotional outlet and has also helped me see excellent fitness and weight loss benefits.  On the flip side, the holidays are coming, and I want to increase my safety precautions for the sake of older relatives.  Doesn't help that Minnesota is on the upswing in cases and deaths (along with many other states and nations).

The fact that Cygnia continues to post here is good for our mental health as it reassures us that she is ok. I dare not say that it is good for her but I would hope so.

Britain has reached 50,000 deaths. Italy has leapfrogged Mexico and reached 1,000,000 cases. Ukraine has now exceeded 500,000 cases.

My only local aunt has come down with Covid-19, and we found out today she's been hospitalized. If I'm understanding the game of telephone correctly, her oxygen levels were actually improving prior to being admitted so hopefully that will continue and the docs can treat other symptoms effectively for a speedy recovery.