Coronavirus

Steve

20 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The US is averaging 1000 deaths per day and there are 48 days until the end of the year.  Can we hit 300,000?  The suspense!

Oregon is going to be pretty much locked up through Thanksgiving. My church canceled in-person services this week (I was hoping to attend, but now nobody is).

Thanksgiving will be virtual this year, with the various people in my family connecting over Zoom. My mother has been having trouble with Zoom.

In the meanwhile, I am getting a severe case of cabin fever and screen fatigue.

18 minutes ago, Old Man said:

The US is averaging 1000 deaths per day and there are 48 days until the end of the year.  Can we hit 300,000?  The suspense!

It's also possible we'll hit 20 million cases by the end of the year, but I think MUCH tighter lockdowns will return in many places, and slow the pace down so we don't get there.  (Because if we do, the health care systems will be overwhelmed in MANY places.)

Plus, the death rates will almost certainly rise rapidly.  If we postulate a 4 week lag between new cases and new deaths, then we're looking at deaths resulting from about 60,000 new cases a day....and we're looking at 3x that now.  We might have 20,000 deaths between Christmas and New Years.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, Old Man said:

Yeah, I saw that.  Get used to it, the slope of the hockey stick is close to 20000 new cases a week.  And we're also averaging 1000 deaths per day.  Happy Holidays!

Yeah, and after 2 certain opposing groups decided to alternate weekends being stupid. I expect a spike in 7 to 9 days.

Texas is now paying the piper.  Their total case count surpassed California's...with only 3/4 of the population.

It is scary to realize that now, 1 person in every 30...across the entire US...has now tested positive.

And yeah Old Man...I realize that's gonna be 1 in 20 *far* too soon.

You're not helping.......

👹

Meanwhile, we have idiots protesting at the Governor's (and Governor-Elect's) personal residence(s) over last week's mask mandate. People who have their young children out carrying signs about how statistically the unlikely they are to die from COVID-19. People referring to our governor as King Herbert and the governor elect as Comrade Cox. People declaring that an order to wear masks or to limit the size of social gatherings in the middle of a pandemic is tyranny and a violation of their God-given rights as American citizens.

Of course, these are all the same idiots who were saying that the pandemic would magically disappear once the election was over (and Trump had won), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And yet, somehow I am. Surprised, and disappointed, and infuriated, and completely at a loss to explain how people could be so stupidly short-sighted about something that is clearly in their own best interest.

Not to defend trump but I am seeing very little from some on the other side. Who seem to think, if they protest or celebrate the right cause they are somehow magically exempt from catching it.

I have gotten pretty sick of the lot of them. The rest of us who have actually followed the guidelines, are the ones who are suffering, and for nothing.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've always said that the most serious flaw of universal democracy, is that stupid people also get to vote.

Stupid has never been confined to one political party. It's just that one party weaponized stupid.

Not to get too political but I've always had a problem with the "get out to vote, it's your civic duty" schtick which people roll out at election time.

No, it's your civic duty to be informed and interested.

It isn't your civic duty to go out and vote at random, vote for the person with the best smile, or vote for the person with the best slogan. Sure, you're free to do it that way if you want but it isn't your duty to do it like that.