Coronavirus

Steve

7 minutes ago, archer said:

Germany is going to start arresting and confining people who repeatedly flout their new lockdown measures which they're using to try to slow the spread of the UK strain of covid.

Given German history within living memory, that had to be a very difficult decision to make, politically and ethically. I hope it doesn't come back to bite them in one way or another.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, unclevlad said:

But use a ceramic mug, not glass.

You can use a glass mug if it's dark glass.  My glass mug is dark blue glass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:celebrate  Scheduled a vaccination appointment for myself this evening.  I'm eligible in phase 1B (over 50, living in a multi-generational household with people who work in public -- in our case, retail slaves).    The appointment is in a month.

It's a longer wait than I remember for getting a polio vaccination sixty years ago (that was just a line 3/4 of the way around the block), but this is an OhHellzYa thing.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

My wife got tired of me complaining about it from August through the end of December so stopping was my sort of New Years resolution.

You can't keep quiet the details of preparing a nationwide "almost anything". Money has to be requisitioned and purchases have to be made.

If the new money isn't put in place and no one complaining that their money is being siphoned off, the money to make thing happen isn't being put in place.

And if no government agencies are announcing purchases and no private companies are announcing sales, nothing is happening.

< /rant >

So probably sometime Monday, the reported cases will hit the 100 million mark.  That's a somber number.  The US is accounting for over 25% of that;  we broke 25 million earlier this week.

By comparison, the 25 countries in Europe with the most cases, NOT counting Russia where systemic undercounting of at least deaths is strongly suspected, and therefore cases has to be in question...NOT counting them, there are 24 million and change cases.  But a population base of 560 million versus 330 million.  (BTW, counting the Russia numbers would make it look even worse.)