Coronavirus

Steve

42 people in West Virginia were mistakenly given Regeneron’s Covid-19 antibody treatment through an IV drip instead of the getting the Moderna vaccine through a jab in the arm, the West Virginia National Guard announced Thursday.

Apparently, the neither the people giving the treatment nor the people receiving the treatment noticed that anything was going wrong as they sat there waitng for an IV bag to drain into their arms.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/31/west-virginia-mistakenly-gives-42-peoplegiven-regeneron-iv-covid-treatment-instead-of-vaccine-shot-west-virginia-national-guard-says-.html

Nice charges too...recklessly endangering safety and adultering a prescription drug.  Plus the less direct-sounding charge of criminal damage to property.  The most serious, it appears, is recklessly endangering safety.  It's a class F felony, so 12 1/2 years.  One can expect the prosecutors to ask that the sentences to be served consecutively, and the other 2 are still mutli-year felonies.  I suspect the fact that he was also a pharmacist will mean even a judge who might be lenient, go harsh.

And he can kiss his pharmacist license goodbye forever once he gets out...which is neither a cheap nor easy degree to earn.  (Even if his license would withstand felony convictions, no board is ever going to let it stand for *these* felonies.)  I suspect that whomever holds his student loans will have to completely write them off, if they haven't been paid off.  Or possibly, if his parents cosigned, he may have just hosed them.  

Yeah, we don't know what he was thinking or what he thought he could accomplish, but he's going to get a very harsh lesson in Consequences 101.

Why is the Jakartan patient facing charges and a potential 10 years in prison? There's no dereliction of duty or endangering unwilling people that he's directly responsible for, unlike the nurse he was banging, even if it was a spectacularly bad idea to be involved. Is it now a crime to have sex while suffering an illness in Indonesia?

9 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Why is the Jakartan patient facing charges and a potential 10 years in prison? There's no dereliction of duty or endangering unwilling people that he's directly responsible for, unlike the nurse he was banging, even if it was a spectacularly bad idea to be involved. Is it now a crime to have sex while suffering an illness in Indonesia?

The patient knew he had a very contagious and potentially deadly disease, and deliberately engaged in activity that would spread that disease to another person, and thence to everyone that person comes in contact with. That's endangering the public health.

I was watching the Rose Bowl college football game (which has so far been barely a contest) and saw many shots of fans in the stadium ()how many there were I'm not entirely clear) and most shots featured several people who are not using their masks -- as if they wore them to get in and pulled them down once they thought the ushers weren't looking. We're talking hundreds if not thousands of people unmasked. I see a super-spreader event on the horizon if nobody's careful

I wonder how many other bowl games this is happening at..

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I was watching the Rose Bowl college football game (which has so far been barely a contest) and saw many shots of fans in the stadium ()how many there were I'm not entirely clear) and most shots featured several people who are not using their masks -- as if they wore them to get in and pulled them down once they thought the ushers weren't looking. We're talking hundreds if not thousands of people unmasked. I see a super-spreader event on the horizon if nobody's careful

I wonder how many other bowl games this is happening at..

Texas.

That is all.

In addition to being more virulent, the London variant of covid (B.1.1.7, aka Variant of Concern (VOC) 202012/01) affects kids:

The SARS-CoV-2 lineage B.1.1.7, now designated Variant of Concern 202012/01 (VOC) by Public Health England, originated in the UK in late Summer to early Autumn 2020. We examine epidemiological evidence for this VOC having a transmission advantage from several perspectives. [...] Phylodynamic modelling additionally indicates that genetic diversity of this lineage has changed in a manner consistent with exponential growth. [...]Third, we examine growth trends in SGTF and non-SGTF case numbers at local area level across England, and show that the VOC has higher transmissibility than non-VOC lineages, even if the VOC has a different latent period or generation time. Available SGTF data indicate a shift in the age composition of reported cases, with a larger share of under 20 year olds among reported VOC than non-VOC cases.

This matches what they're seeing in London hospitals: Covid wards 'full of children' for first time in pandemic, warn nurses

33 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

The new strain appears to be more contagious than the previous one, but there's no evidence yet that it's more "virulent," i.e. more severe and dangerous in its effects.

Back before the first publicized mutation in March, my dad was trying to tell me that mutations of the virus are a good thing because someone he'd heard on Fox News said that mutations meant the virus would get less severe in its effects. (And by extension, getting everybody infected with the virus so there was more chance of mutation was a great thing to happen.)

I had to try to explain to him that the mutations are more or less random. It could get less virulent, it could get more. It could get more contagious and stay just as virulent.

A couple of weeks later they had the news story that the mutation (IIRC the one that came through Europe and hit NYC so hard) took only 1/10th the amount of virus to get someone sick than the original strain did.

And at the time, they'd been saying on MSNBC and CNN that the original strain was already as contagious as measles.

There's a lot of really sick individuals out there. And most of them are guest "experts" on Fox News.

Part of a conversation...

Other guy, sarcastically, "Lockdowns have a great record of success. Just look at California and New York."

Me:

"Sir, the wounded soldier lost half of his blood despite the bandages!"

"My God! Send out the word! No more bandaging wounded soldiers! Bandages don't work!"

On 1/1/2021 at 10:23 AM, Grailknight said:

I'm glad they arrested the guy and may charge him with 3 felonies.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/31/us/wisconsin-coronavirus-vaccine-vials/index.html

Ever since the Tylenol thing, product tampering has led to worse charges than what he got indicted with. This is not new. This guy is an idiot

CES