Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Most of one branch of my family has now contracted Covid-19, the one headed by my fundamentalist pastor uncle. I haven't gotten details on how badly everyone is being hit yet.

Ugh.  Hope things don't get too bad.

My FB groups are all book-related.  In one of em, a member noted that his father had passed away the day before, from Covid.  He was a major fan of the series;  the son asked if his dad's name could be used as a character.  The author's done this before, several times;  some of the older group members have had their names used.  And sometimes other authors he knows.

The author is active in that group, and he said "consider it done."

One slight worry for me with the vaccine is possibly being requiredto have it.

Not exactly one of the paranoids on the vaccine, but being forced to put something in me as an adult does make me nervous. Most likely will do it when it is time, but i feel better making that decision on my own.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

One slight worry for me with the vaccine is possibly being requiredto have it.

Not exactly one of the paranoids on the vaccine, but being forced to put something in me as an adult does make me nervous. Most likely will do it when it is time, but i feel better making that decision on my own.

"It's not mandatory -- you just gotta."

9 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Some folks I know have concerns about receiving the vaccine because they may have a severe allergic reaction. Here's a website that discusses safety and includes a Q&A section.

My mother cannot have the vaccine as she had a bad reaction to flu vaccine. So it ain't just blowing smoke.

And France has over 3 million cases.

48 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah, i am looking into things.  

If you find out anything specifically about people who have allergies to eggs and the COVID vaccines, I'd be grateful if you pointed me to it.

They cultivate the flu vaccine with egg protein which makes it chancy for my wife to get the flu shot (chancy = could kill her).

I can find "yeah, the CDC recommends that people who have food allergies get the COVID vaccine anyway". But it doesn't answer my question about whether the various different COVID vaccines might contain egg proteins or not.

edit: nevermind, I hadn't looked in a few weeks for information but apparently it's out there now.

"Neither the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine nor the Moderna COVID-19 vaccines contain egg nor were eggs used the development or production of either vaccine."

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/covid-19-vaccine-myths-debunked/

The International Olympic Committee is working with the World Health Organization to get all athletes vaccinated in a bid to save the Tokyo Games...Fast-tracking the COVID-19 vaccines to competitors where national programmes are yet to begin is the main priority in the Olympic Committee's plan.

https://news.trust.org/item/20210122203254-t21a5

I really like the Olympics. I watch them, DVR them on multiple TV channels, and even watch many of the less popular sports. I like the Olympics a hell of a lot more than professional sports.

But having the World Health Organization fast-tracking vaccines to healthy young people in places where vaccines aren't getting distributed to vulnerable populations and healthcare workers...

that just doesn't seem right on any level.

13 hours ago, archer said:

The International Olympic Committee is working with the World Health Organization to get all athletes vaccinated in a bid to save the Tokyo Games...Fast-tracking the COVID-19 vaccines to competitors where national programmes are yet to begin is the main priority in the Olympic Committee's plan.

I really like the Olympics. I watch them, DVR them on multiple TV channels, and even watch many of the less popular sports. I like the Olympics a hell of a lot more than professional sports.

But having the World Health Organization fast-tracking vaccines to healthy young people in places where vaccines aren't getting distributed to vulnerable populations and healthcare workers...

On an abstract level, I agree with you. Athletes should be a lower priority than healthcare workers, first responders, and other vulnerable groups. However, on a more practical level, there aren't enough Olympic athletes to affect distribution. There were 14,000 Olympic athletes in the last cycle (summer and winter combined). Even if you need to vaccinate 50,000 people (coaches, trainers, personal chefs, etc), it's still a drop in the global bucket. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fcovid-data%2Fcovidview.html

I'll highlght one number:

The overall cumulative COVID-19-associated hospitalization rate through the week ending January 16, 2021, was 380.3 hospitalizations per 100,000 population.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Influenza-Associated Hospitalizations:

The Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network (FluSurv-NET) conducts population-based surveillance for laboratory-confirmed influenza-related hospitalizations in select counties in the Emerging Infections Program (EIP) states and Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Project (IHSP) states.

A total of 136 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations occurring between October 1, 2020, and January 16, 2021, were reported by FluSurv-NET sites for an overall cumulative hospitalization rate of 0.5 per 100,000 population. This is lower than average for this point in the season and comparable to the overall rate seen at this point during the 2011-12 season. Hospitalization rates stratified by age will be presented once case counts increase to a level that produces stable rates by age.

Yeah...it's just a flu.....

As a side note:  the time frames are obviously different.  However, 70% of all recorded coronavirus cases in the US have been identified since Oct. 1st.  If we assume that 70% of cases means roughly 70% of hospitalizations, we get about 250 hospitalizations per 100,000...500x higher than the flu.  Even if a bad flu year results in 10x the hospitalizations, we'd still be looking at a coronavirus hospitalization 50x higher than a bad flu season.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:07 PM, archer said:

Don't discount the effect this could have on worldwide morale.

The Games could be the first step in pulling the world out of its Covid induced depression. The Olympics are one of the few things that are globally seen in a positive light. With good presentation this could be a unifying event across the globe at a time where we all need something to feel good about.

18 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Yeah...it's just a flu.....

In the interest of fairness, I'll just mention that scientists predicted coronavirus precautions would also diminish the spread of influenza, hence why the rate is so low. I suspect it's even lower in countries where precautions were more efficiently and rigorously applied. Speaking personally, I haven't had as much as a cold in a whole year. I can't remember the last time that happened, if ever.

4 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

In the interest of fairness, I'll just mention that scientists predicted coronavirus precautions would also diminish the spread of influenza, hence why the rate is so low. I suspect it's even lower in countries where precautions were more efficiently and rigorously applied. Speaking personally, I haven't had as much as a cold in a whole year. I can't remember the last time that happened, if ever.

The only infectious disease I know I've transmitted all year was the bug that killed my new kitten and put one of my adult cats in the hospital. I distinctly remember the big gray alley cat I fed in the weeks previous sneezing loudly, so I suspect that's where I got it from. (Had no symptoms myself so I assume it was a cat-specific disease and the safety measures I employ for Covid-19 just weren't enough of a barrier.)

5 hours ago, Cygnia said:

The stories include this bit.  

Said the board meeting moderator Jennifer Susko: “His obituary said, ‘Patrick felt passionate about wearing masks during the pandemic. In lieu of flowers, please buy and wear a mask to protect others and yourself in honor of him.’ I’m going to stop talking for a few seconds in honor of Mr. Key. During the silence I’d like to ask all members of the board and the superintendent to put on your mask in tribute to this teacher, who did everything you asked for him, including teaching during a pandemic.”

Two board members, including the superintendent, Chris Ragsdale, didn’t budge.

Said the moderator: “I’d like the record to reflect that some of you did not wear a mask, the final request of a Cobb teacher who died. Your actions in these two minutes have spoken louder than words. We see where your priorities are. Please know that many of us reject your false gratitude for staff since we seem disposable to many of you.”

Another story noted a separate point:  this is the 3rd teacher in Cobb County to die from Covid-19.  In the past month.

I sincerely hope this comes back to bite them in their backsides.  HARD.  The sooner, the better.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

F*** those guys. Teachers need to start calling in sick en masse until those two are removed from their positions.

This is part of the problem with politicizing health policies.

When someone asks them to wear a mask during a moment of silence, they're hearing "we would like you to proudly wave the communist flag during a moment of silence".

What you are saying when you make the request seems totally reasonable in your frame of reference.

But what you're asking them to do, in their frame of reference, is totally reprehensible.

It's going to take a long time to bridge that gap.

Or something innovative like advertising clips of Eisenhower, Reagan, or John Wayne advocating wearing masks. With modern CGI, that shouldn't be a stretch and the family/estates might donate their images for the purpose.

9 hours ago, archer said:

This is part of the problem with politicizing health policies.

When someone asks them to wear a mask during a moment of silence, they're hearing "we would like you to proudly wave the communist flag during a moment of silence".

What you are saying when you make the request seems totally reasonable in your frame of reference.

But what you're asking them to do, in their frame of reference, is totally reprehensible.

It's going to take a long time to bridge that gap.

Or something innovative like advertising clips of Eisenhower, Reagan, or John Wayne advocating wearing masks. With modern CGI, that shouldn't be a stretch and the family/estates might donate their images for the purpose.

You know, if you're going to the funeral of a Communist, it's not going to kill you to wave a red flag. I could go on and make an argument about church funerals, but the point seems pre-made. If you show up and refuse to rise for the hymn/take off your shoes/ wear the hat, you've made your point. Which is that you're an a##hole.