Coronavirus

Steve

On the bright side, these particular reckless young people spend lots of time largely isolated among other young, fit and healthy people rather than at home in frequent contact with their grandparents and other high risk demographics. It's sad, but not as sad or dangerous as those spring break beachgoers or the crowds at Sturgis.

Military May Revisit Making COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/01/military-may-revisit-making-covid-19-vaccines-mandatory-after-fda-grants-approval.html

Mixed feelings about this. I have an intense aversion to changing the rules after someone signs the contract.

I think this could be better addressed by freezing pay, freezing promotions, and having your refusal to be vaccinated go on your permanent record.

That might also help sort people by their attitude toward QAnon and extremism (since people who are against vaccination in general wouldn't have signed up for a military service which requires getting/having an established laundry list of vaccinations when you enter basic training).

Doing it that way, you might lose a number of people who don't want to stay in the military because they don't want to get vaccinated to treat a hoax. But that's not much of a loss. And that's not really the kind of person you'd want armed and in the military during an emergency anyway, IMO.

In an announcement released on Feb. 26, the New Orleans Archdiocese said that in accordance with guidance from the Vatican, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, and The National Catholic Bioethics Center, the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is considered “morally compromised” due to the cell line sourced from aborted fetuses that composes the vaccine. 

https://thehill.com/changing-america/541271-new-orleans-catholic-church-tells-followers-to-avoid-new-johnson-johnson

2 hours ago, archer said:

Military May Revisit Making COVID-19 Vaccines Mandatory

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/01/military-may-revisit-making-covid-19-vaccines-mandatory-after-fda-grants-approval.html

Mixed feelings about this. I have an intense aversion to changing the rules after someone signs the contract.

I think this could be better addressed by freezing pay, freezing promotions, and having your refusal to be vaccinated go on your permanent record.

That might also help sort people by their attitude toward QAnon and extremism (since people who are against vaccination in general wouldn't have signed up for a military service which requires getting/having an established laundry list of vaccinations when you enter basic training).

Doing it that way, you might lose a number of people who don't want to stay in the military because they don't want to get vaccinated to treat a hoax. But that's not much of a loss. And that's not really the kind of person you'd want armed and in the military during an emergency anyway, IMO.

I note the change would be considered once full FDA approval has been granted, and I seem to recall it is only voluntary at this point because the current vaccines are only being administered under an emergency authorization. 

I’m surprised there’s any discussion. I took it as a given it would become part of the standard requirements once full approval was made. Frankly, I’m more surprised vaccination is “optional” with only the emergency use authorization.

It’s been quite a few years now, but I don’t ever recall being offered a choice when it came to adding entries to my shot record. 

While I agree Texas is reopening MUCH too quickly and completely, well...we knew it was gonna happen, and their daily new case rates have dropped.  It's NOT low enough to go anywhere near as far as they're going, IMO, but at least they waited until their rate was at least Not Too Bad...right now new cases are at about 1 per 4000 people.  It had an uptick, but it also dropped back.  By contrast, Georgia and Florida have no mask restrictions...and new cases around 1 person  per 3000 population, per day.

Yeah, it's going to be a disaster.  It's going to set many states back 4-6 months, I suspect, over holding restrictions for, let's say, 1 more moth.  But it was a given that they'd do this.  The pressure to reopen now is extreme, given the enormous degree of Covid Fatigue.

27 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

While I agree Texas is reopening MUCH too quickly and completely, well...we knew it was gonna happen, and their daily new case rates have dropped.  It's NOT low enough to go anywhere near as far as they're going, IMO, but at least they waited until their rate was at least Not Too Bad...right now new cases are at about 1 per 4000 people.  It had an uptick, but it also dropped back.  By contrast, Georgia and Florida have no mask restrictions...and new cases around 1 person  per 3000 population, per day.

Yeah, it's going to be a disaster.  It's going to set many states back 4-6 months, I suspect, over holding restrictions for, let's say, 1 more moth.  But it was a given that they'd do this.  The pressure to reopen now is extreme, given the enormous degree of Covid Fatigue.

Reopening all businesses but keeping a mask mandate would be about the best we could have expected out of states like Texas and Mississippi. 

Of course, we're not getting the best out of those states.

Target and Wal-Mart have announced they'll continue requiring masks for customers and employees regardless of state repeals of mask mandates. I haven't heard any word about other large businesses.

1 hour ago, archer said:

Target and Wal-Mart have announced they'll continue requiring masks for customers and employees regardless of state repeals of mask mandates. I haven't heard any word about other large businesses.

Well, that's the decision of a free market, so conservative Texans should be okay with that, right?

:rolleyes: