Coronavirus

Steve

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Not trying to bother you, Michael; I just wanted to revisit this now that I've done some reading.

I still don't know.  :lol:

And  Knowing You Don't Know is Half the Battle! 🎌

No, really, I'm not joking. Events like this are changing the way we view information and how information becomes knowledge in the age of instant broadcast communication. Can you know something once that thing has been proven to be false?

2 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Something kills all people eventually, doesn't it?

Not me.

Also, even though the pandemic itself isn't anyone's fault, the corrupt and inept response absolutely was.  Many thousands of Americans will have died unnecessarily before this is over.  Will you, the reader, be one of them?

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

Also, even though the pandemic itself isn't anyone's fault, the corrupt and inept response absolutely was.  Many thousands of Americans will have died unnecessarily before this is over.  Will you, the reader, be one of them?

I do not know. I can't even see beyond next week.

Some celebrities and artists have already fallen. One of them is songwriter John Prine, who never became a susperstar recording artist but had a substantial catalog and influenced scores of other songwriters. I had not heard his name, but it turned out I had heard of his songs, like this one.

I  suspect we will see quite a toll of artists and performers lost to COVID-19 before this is over.

21 hours ago, Starlord said:

Can't we do both?

Yes. The kill statistic will give a sense of uncertainty or fear, the other statistics, where people has beaten it, brings hope. Of the two, I'd favour the later as hope is better than dread, as long as it doesn't cause complacency. Both stats give a realistic picture. 

21 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Posted that to my FB and I immediately got a self-righteous person whining that I should be cleaning my closets in this pandemic.

The point -- she refuses to recognize it.

One (of many) reasons why i posted the tweet of Neil Gaiman and chickens. He is writer who isn't writing. He's failing at telling six chickens apart. 

20 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

And that's 98.54% of the people that test positive.  We are not going to lose 4.5+ million people to this virus.

New York State has 131,800 cases out of 19,500,000 people and 4,758 deaths.

That's a survival rate of 99.976% and no other state has been hit this hard (yet).

As above, the survival rate statistics brings hope, but the number of deaths is still high. that is the number of families affected that have to go on with life without a loved one. That is tragic. :(