DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

And yet, this is the only actually *fun* DC film series now?

I'm getting the impression that this isn't a sequel so much as a full reboot. As in "here's how we should have done this the first time" but without Joker.

I really like the Suicide Squad concept (at least, as Ostrander built it in the 80s) but its not supposed to be full of fun.  Its one of DC's darker titles.  

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sending them against Starro is just a bit over the top, why not send them out against a more modest threat the first time out, then give them something really awful in the sequel??

Because it's the Suicide Squad. They go up against whomever Waller says they're going up against.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sending them against Starro is just a bit over the top, why not send them out against a more modest threat the first time out, then give them something really awful in the sequel??

Because it's the Suicide Squad. They go up against whomever Waller says they're going up against.

3 hours ago, DoctorImpossible said:

Big dumb violent fun.

That also describes the aspirations of the first Suicide Squad movie. It was dumb and violent, but it wasn't much fun. I'm skeptical that even James Gunn can elevate the core premise to the point where it escapes its intrinsic dumbness and delivers on the fun. But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:14 PM, zslane said:

But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

I lost that ability a long time ago, when the track record shows it's a massive long shot especially.  Or when, like here, you're offering up that hope as a form of damnation by faint praise.

At least if you ask me to pony up $9 and an afternoon of my time.  Maybe if it shows up on Prime Video.  It's a little easier to find a time slot to watch a movie, and obviously, I get to do it from home.

I am more curious about Eternals than I am about Black Widow or Shang Chi, but even there the teaser was underwhelming, and I really expect/want to be whelmed. C'mon Marvel, you can do better than this!

(Oops, sorry, this is the DC thread...)

There isn't anything from DC I am eager to see. I had cautious hope for Matt Reeve's Batman movie, but having seen what they did with their so-called "Riddler", I am less enthused about it.

And they could do so again, following that kind of pattern and concept.  Batman should be a detective, not a martial artist with a plan. "World's Greatest Detective" and all that.  That animated series is the best thing that has ever been put on screen for Batman.  They got the character right, they understood the setting.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That animated series is the best thing that has ever been put on screen for Batman.

Well, yeah, they got the spirit of the character and setting right, but the execution was just plain awful in so many ways. It is actually kinda sad that any of us feel compelled to agree with the above statement.

10 hours ago, zslane said:

There isn't anything from DC I am eager to see. I had cautious hope for Matt Reeve's Batman movie, but having seen what they did with their so-called "Riddler", I am less enthused about it.

Rumor is, and stop me if you heard this before about a DC movie, that early reviews are ripping it so much, there is a lot of reshoots going on.

1 hour ago, DoctorImpossible said:

I don't really think DC was trying to poach Whedon to take over their film department for any long term basis. He was just there for that brief time and then gone, in and out like, oh  I don't know...

...a leaf on the wind?

I certainly don't think that they would Book him again.