DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

11 hours ago, slikmar said:

Given the conversation going on in the Marvel thread, I am interested in what happens with this one. It is being released in theaters and HBO+. So curious if that will eat into the box office.

According to reports, Warner Brothers already re-negotiated with the profit participants of the various films released simultaneously to theaters and HBO Max. 

https://observer.com/2021/01/hbo-max-warner-bros-movies-box-office/

It is being released in theaters and HBO+. So curious if that will eat into the box office.

It has to, inevitably, its just a question of how much.  Black Widow didn't do boffo streaming either, so its hard to know how much that impacted box office, but I am of the opinion that the days of packed theaters and lines are over.

WB reluctantly rolled out the 2021 pay-out plan just to get through the pandemic. It prevented a ton of lawsuits (over lost box office revenue due to WB refusing to release any of their movies to theaters in 2021) that were looming on the horizon if they didn't. The fight over streaming subscription revenue sharing is a completely different battle, and WB will be defiantly standing its ground, in terms of negotiations, right along-side every other studio.

The studios always capitulate eventually. But it usually takes several contract renewal cycles before they do. Same fight, new name. Every new "ancillary market" format that comes along profits the studios first, and then the talent later (much later). If the studios refuse to negotiate on this, I wonder if we'll see the guilds creating their own studio (kind of like the old United Artists) just so they can create a competing streaming service of their own.

11 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Looking forward to "New Guy",  and Dune, but not much besides that.  as it is, COVID has slowed production down dramatically.  Dragging this back on topic, I have lost interest in  The Batman, earing how the star has sabotaged it, 

What happened on this, Scott?

CES

Unfortunately, making money from one isolated movie here and there is all that WB has to look forward to. They will remain completely overshadowed by Marvel and the MCU until the day comes when the MCU no longer enthralls the masses and they too are left just desperately trying to make a successful superhero movie once in a while. In other words, parity between Marvel and DC on the big screen will never come as a result of DC success, but only as a result of Marvel decline/failure. And that's just sad, especially if you are a big DC fan.

I watched Suicide Squad and was pleasantly surprised.  I'd give it a B to B+.  Insane doesn't begin to describe the things that go on in this movie...I can only say that I never imagined being able to see Starro brought to live action cinema, but this was the way to do it and it really paid off.

17 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

There's another option: Marvel gobbles up Time/Warner entirely and takes over DC movies.

Before or after Disney wrecks Marvel?

I also don't think this will happen any time soon.  Disney hasn't returned to anything close to normal yet, and it's not at all clear when they will.

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Before or after Disney wrecks Marvel?

You say that as if it was a future possibility.  The Marvel ship has already hit the iceberg and each recent new release shows it settling lower in the water. 

It is possible that they could rescue themselves.  But to do so they would need to recognize where they had gone wrong and that will never happen.

29 minutes ago, Spence said:

You say that as if it was a future possibility.  The Marvel ship has already hit the iceberg and each recent new release shows it settling lower in the water. 

Um, what?

The last release before Black Widow was Spider-Man: Far from Home. It made $1,131M worldwide.

Black Widow's $359M worldwide take, even without China, puts it at the number 5 movie worldwide for 2021. Considering that all the movies above it did have a China release, that's not bad. And that's not including the $60M opening weekend streaming revenue. Just looking at domestic box office, it's the top movie this year. 

With the Delta wave of the pandemic wave cranking up, I expect that the other two Marvel releases this year will suffer at the box office. But so will every other movie released. 

46 minutes ago, Spence said:

It is possible that they could rescue themselves.  But to do so they would need to recognize where they had gone wrong and that will never happen.

I haven't seen any evidence presented that they have gone wrong, or that they have anything they need to rescue themselves from other than the hit they've taken due to the pandemic.

The Chinese Market is hugely overstated, it is smaller than domestic.  Time will tell if Marvel's fortunes or vision for films is on the decline or not, but this is not a good sign.  The streaming numbers were a disaster and the box office was very poor for Black Widow.  If that's their vision for the future, its not promising.