DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

On 8/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Who thought Twilight dude would be an ideal batman I can only guess about but the entire thing feels like a train wreck that's too far along for WB to back out on.

I'm old enough to remember them saying that it was stupid to expect Mr Mom to be a good Batman.. but that worked out OK.

I'm not holding that franchise against the actor.  It wasn't all his fault.  The stuff he is pulling on set?  Go ahead & be mad at him about that.

12 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

DC could do worse then put him in charge of their "universe" ala Feige at Disney/Marvel. I would have loved to see what he could have done with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Justice League.

11 hours ago, Jhamin said:

I'm old enough to remember them saying that it was stupid to expect Mr Mom to be a good Batman.. but that worked out OK.

I'm not holding that franchise against the actor.  It wasn't all his fault.  The stuff he is pulling on set?  Go ahead & be mad at him about that.

I was one of the few when Keaton was cast and people disparaged him that looked at them and said go watch Clean and Sober, then we can have a conversation. I actually thought he made a good Bruce and Batman.

I never cared for Keaton as Batman all that much. It takes more than a gruff voice and the occasional bout of smoldering intensity to be a believable Batman.

As for James Gunn, well, I honestly believe he would fare no better than anyone else over at WB in trying to resurrect the DCEU. He's no Feige (but, then, nobody is) and he still has to deal with WB execs.

11 hours ago, assault said:

It doesn't sound terrible.

No it doesn't. I trust him more with Comic properties than I do J.J. Abrams. Much more.  James Gunn is somewhat respectful of the properties, where other directors are kind of embarrassed about "comic books", or are into injecting current day intersectionalism.  I think he could do a good job, and make more engaging movies than the rather antiseptic  Zack Snyder. 

6 minutes ago, Twilight said:

No, they very literally didn't.  His previous relationships with girls weren't retconned away, he and Stephanie Brown were still boyfriend and girlfriend he's just into boys too.

You beat me to this.

Tim Drake is one of my favorite DC characters.  I really dug his boy detective schtick back when he had his own book.  I don't mind him coming out as bi or poly or pan, particularly if the publicity can get him an ongoing series again.  However, I am not real optimistic about this and if it does happen I am even less optimistic about DC not screwing it up.  Still, I will cross my fingers.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

No, they very literally didn't.  His previous relationships with girls weren't retconned away, he and Stephanie Brown were still boyfriend and girlfriend he's just into boys too.

Marvel didn't retcon Bobby Drake's past either. Just seemed to end up having an epiphany that girls weren't for him.

Must be a Drake thing.

19 hours ago, zslane said:

As for James Gunn, well, I honestly believe he would fare no better than anyone else over at WB in trying to resurrect the DCEU. He's no Feige (but, then, nobody is) and he still has to deal with WB execs.

He'd be a good showrunner, but I still can't understand why Bruce Timm isn't the man in charge.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

Fixed that for ya dude.

You didn't fix anything. You want real diversity, you should read Rick Riordin, early Milestone, or maybe Spawn. DC has lost a ton of production and editorial staff, sales, and their writers are looking to go other places. They are trying to bring in a new audience for their business so this is the only way they can think to do it, because new characters very rarely light anything up. We're diverse because we can change our old characters to suit is what they're doing when they should be creating new guys to fill the slot like Black Lightning's kids. (The fact that they gutted BL's history to get those kids the same way they did Cyborg's is a whole another thing.)

They have been dumping on Nightwing and Tim Drake since Dan Didio took over, and even now that he was fired this is just one more thing they dumped on Drake because DC Editorial sucks. Who can we make LGBT today? Tim Drake is our goto whipping boy this week. He's the LBGT guy because we can't do better than a 12 yr old fan fiction writer who's already given Tim Connor's kid twenty years ago.

DC can do better, they just don't want to.

CES    

The Tim Drake discussion just proves to me that the old aphorism "you can't please all the people all the time" has to be re-written as

You can't please all the people at ANY time.

Especially when making any form of change.  I get tired of major canonical shifts, but I agree...this doesn't feel like one at all.

38 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

The Tim Drake discussion just proves to me that the old aphorism "you can't please all the people all the time" has to be re-written as

You can't please all the people at ANY time.

Especially when making any form of change.  I get tired of major canonical shifts, but I agree...this doesn't feel like one at all.

Tim Drake first appeared in 1989 and has had an interest in girls and dating history spanning decades.

In 2021, we get the first indication that he's bi.

If there's some recent universal reboot, I can accept character changes more easily. 

But this really feels like DC corporate feeling the need to display more DC diversity and tacking "and BTW he's been bi all along" onto a random existing character.

There's a way to make these things seem organic and ways to make it seem...not.

People didn't seem to have this kind of trouble accepting Element Lad as being bi, for example.

7 hours ago, archer said:

Tim Drake first appeared in 1989 and has had an interest in girls and dating history spanning decades.

In 2021, we get the first indication that he's bi.

If there's some recent universal reboot, I can accept character changes more easily. 

But this really feels like DC corporate feeling the need to display more DC diversity and tacking "and BTW he's been bi all along" onto a random existing character.

There's a way to make these things seem organic and ways to make it seem...not.

People didn't seem to have this kind of trouble accepting Element Lad as being bi, for example.

He's also a teenager whose "canonical" time frame is a lot less than 32 years.

I am pretty sure a lot of teens acted as, and believed they were, heterosexual in high school before realizing that they were not straight, whether bisexual or homosexual. The source article is actually a pretty balanced discussion of why this makes at least a modicum of sense given the character's history.

ACK: forgot I did not first see the issue on the Boards.  https://www.npr.org/2021/08/10/1026482411/batmans-sidekick-robin-comes-out-it-makes-sense-if-you-were-paying-attention?utm_source=pocket-newtab