Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm going to focus my speculation on dealing with what's in front of us -- that's more than enough for now.

Whereas I see the near future being far too tumultuous for my liking: a large body of well-intending people and their sliver of power warring with the establishment simply to hold onto the parts of the status quo that aren't absolutely bjorked. I cannot foresee if we'll truly have to hit absolute rock bottom before we get our act together or if some miracle (principled, moral, competent and inspiring leadership) will come along, but I'd rather daydream a little while keeping my head down.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Whereas I see the near future being far too tumultuous for my liking; a large body of well-intending people and their sliver of power warring with the establishment simply to hold onto the parts of the status quo that aren't absolutely bjorked. I cannot foresee if we'll truly have to hit absolutely rock bottom before we get our act together or if some miracle (principled, moral, competent and inspiring leadership) will come along, but I'd rather daydream a little while keeping my head down.

All of us get lost in the darkness
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter
Dreamers turn to look at the cars

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...” - Carl Sagan

The current trend of anti intellectualism in America scares me....it truly does.

15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I've said it for many years: Liberty, equality, justice, will never be "won." Their establishment and preservation are a never-ending struggle. The veneer of civilization is thin, and it doesn't take a lot to scrape it off and expose the barbarian underneath.

Very well said!

So, I just put in for a week of time off right after the election.  You know, just in case, our democracy depends on 2 to 4 million people showing up in Washington DC and demanding that the vote be honestly reported and it's result honored.  

I'm a middle age, middle class, white guy and my student activist 30+ years behind me.  It is bizarre that I would even have to consider the need for such a thing, much less that I have requested time off over 3 months in advance to cover the thing.

So hopefully in November, my wife and I will take a short fall vacation and laugh about the silly  reason for the time off request.  Otherwise, if anybody want to carpool to DC, I have an entire country to cross, I can probably arrange my route to pick you up.

15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I sometimes wonder how the Republican Party might have fallen out if John McCain was still alive. I can't imagine him ever kissing Donald Trump's ass, or silencing his criticism of a man he obviously held in contempt.

I dont know. I do think he might have overstayed by about 5 years. Just seemed like at times his body just couldn't hold up to the job anymore.  He isn't the first,  cough Strom Thurmond cough.  No shame in that it happens to people in all walks of life.  It is hard for some to accept the end of public/work life.

10 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

The most depressing realization I've had is not only have I not seen any serious attempt at tackling climate change in my entire lifetime, but it doesn't seem like even my parents will live long enough to pass away peacefully.

Well, mentioning that I think parents is one reason for my irritability at times. Haven't visited since late March, due to his health issues, and me being essential worker. So, sometimes I expect I will get to see him again at his eventual funeral.

I do call some, but I am exceptionally bad with phone conversation. So, it amounts to 3-5 minutes here and there. 

18 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I sometimes wonder how the Republican Party might have fallen out if John McCain was still alive. I can't imagine him ever kissing Donald Trump's ass, or silencing his criticism of a man he obviously held in contempt.

McCain didn’t kiss Trump’s ass and was effectively run out of the party by 2017. He and Romney would have constituted the impotent “moderate” wing of the GOP. 

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Is Trump on track for an October vaccine surprise?

Yet at the same time, drugmakers’ sprint through early clinical trials means leading vaccine candidates could begin to show indications of their effectiveness by late October, offering Trump the opportunity to seize on them as a potential game-changer.

"indications of their effectiveness"

You don't rush the development of a medicine for political points!

On 7/21/2020 at 7:44 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Senator Romney's making an effort, but he doesn't have anywhere near Senator McCain's clout on the Hill.