Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

49 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

It looks like SCOTUS has ruled on ACA.  That is at least a bit of relief

Reference?

I saw "show support for" but Google isn't showing anything beyond Tuesday, which was when that was reported.  Hope you're right but I'm thinking you may have overstated the point a touch....

46 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

Yeahhhh.....but...it's great for those who were able to break free, I just don't know how many, as a percentage of their followers, will manage it on their own.  It's HARD to do.
But good for him/them! 

(EDIT:   I'm just saying don't expect a big broad shift out of this...but hey, a lot of personal scale wins is to be celebrated.)

EDIT 2:  Ugh.  Fine, maybe we can shrink the monstrous boil that is QAnon, but...I'm sure most of us have heard that FB and Twitter have been calling out fake news, disinformation, etc. in various ways.  Well...do a quick search on "parler app" and read the stories.  Here's one:

https://www.wired.com/story/parler-app-free-speech-influencers/

Unification requires some degree of communication.....

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Wonder if Trump resigns a few days before end of term, so that Pence can pardon him to clear him from all his future legal troubles.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

LOL.  I could see it.  But most of the problems are civil, and AFAIK the pardon mechanism only relates to criminal convictions.

Also, a presidential pardon is only good for federal crimes.  The SDNY is charging him with a lot of things at the state level.

7 hours ago, Lectryk said:

Has anyone heard about a boycott/refusal to use mass media (TV, FaceBook, Twitter, et al - substitute Parler, One Network and such) to start on November 13th? 

So these folks are going to quarantine themselves on social media? Outstanding. If only we could get them to do it in real life, too. Then we might have a chance of stopping the spread of COVID-19.

18 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So these folks are going to quarantine themselves on social media? Outstanding. If only we could get them to do it in real life, too. Then we might have a chance of stopping the spread of COVID-19.

Not outstanding.  Extremely dangerous.  Parler isn't just a few thousand people;  the Wired article said their user base jumped from 4.5M to 8M...since the election.  They'll be free to spout their line with no pushback whatsoever..  It creates its own positive feedback loop...but it won't be contained there.  Non-members can see it too, and it'll  get echoed on all the conservative media outlets...trumpeted loudly, we can expect, from past experience.

And figure that groups like the Proud Boys and QAnon will have a field day there.  In itself, that makes it a recruiting tool.

15 minutes ago, Sociotard said:

I'm really glad the militia-violence fears have not borne fruit, even with the stolen-election narrative.

The stolen election narrative is the party/team getting straight up murdered by NPCs and one guy is like going I still have one hit point/body left. It's over. You're dead. Get a new character and quit your whining

CES

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

I'm really glad the militia-violence fears have not borne fruit, even with the stolen-election narrative.

Ironically, I think Trump's assurances that the actions he's taking will prove his victory might actually be lowering the heat on that particular pot. Many of these factions may be taking a wait-and-see approach.

But like I wrote upthread, these supremacists tend to be long on braying, short on kicking. Not that there can't be trouble -- some of them are more motivated -- but I don't see the city-in-flames scenarios happening.

10 hours ago, TrickstaPriest said:

When they say blood of tyrants, they mean the libs.

This is pretty much a cold civil war.

This is in Ohio, so it could also refer to the Republican Governor who supports mask mandates and similarly brutal assaults on personal freedom in the name of pandemic control...

(he also has suggested recognizing Biden as president-elect)

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

This is in Ohio, so it could also refer to the Republican Governor who supports mask mandates and similarly brutal assaults on personal freedom in the name of pandemic control...

Overall, I think DeWine as good a job as possible with the pandemic in Ohio.  To clarify, he said that Biden is the President-elect, but that Trump has the right to make sure the election results are correct.

6 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Ford, Carter and Bush Snr all served one term and left without this much fuss. So why can't Trump ?

There are videos of Hillary literally saying that whenever Trump is losing something, he claims everything is rigged and everyone is conspiring against him.  That was 4 years ago.

All of this was entirely predictable.

It took me and my family around 1 full year to renew our Canadian Passports, and we finished and received them pre-pandemic (because getting them would have been impossible otherwise).

So yeah, we've known it was going this way.  As Liaden says, things accelerated a lot because of the pandemic, but not so much apparently as I personally expected (post pandemic).

So we'll see where it goes from here.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Ahh... that's pretty awful.  😕

Tell them "fool facial recognition.  Wear a mask."

11 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Right now there are quite a few concerns about Trump's recent actions being an attempted coup d'etat. I have been wondering about that myself.

Best case scenario is that he's pursuing a scorched earth policy, doing as much damage as he can before he gets kicked out.

It's pretty damn sad when that's the best case scenario...

Speaking of Trump and poisoned pills...

There's an article in the NYT today about Biden having climate change as a major issue.  To achieve much, he's got to have China on board.

And gee, just yesterday, Trump issues an order barring investment in companies believed to have too many ties to the Chinese military....

10 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Well, any coup is going to be through the Supreme Court.  Actual deployment of military isn't realistic... at least not without the Supreme Court 'giving' him the election.

So that's my main concern at this point.

There is too big a gap in elector votes, covering too many states, for the Supreme Court to weigh in and change the election.  The only cases that might stick only affect one state's vote totals (last I looked, anyway).

Electoral College shenanigans around appointment/assignment of electors is where you have to worry. 

22 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Well, any coup is going to be through the Supreme Court.  Actual deployment of military isn't realistic... at least not without the Supreme Court 'giving' him the election.

So that's my main concern at this point.

To get to the Supreme Court, cases have to work their way through the lower courts at the state level before the SCOTUS is petitioned to hear them, which they're not obliged to do. So far every court challenge the White House's legal team has made in specific states has been dismissed as groundless.

19 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Speaking of Trump and poisoned pills...

There's an article in the NYT today about Biden having climate change as a major issue.  To achieve much, he's got to have China on board.

And gee, just yesterday, Trump issues an order barring investment in companies believed to have too many ties to the Chinese military....

China has already instituted climate-change mitigation measures more extensive than what the United States was shooting for before Trump. So Biden should face no serious opposition from them on that front. They might even push him to do more.

Biden wins Ga, loses NC (which is to be expected). Again the Supreme Court have already said they aren't hearing any cases based on the election. Trump isn't wasting their time. Plus one of the law firms repping Trump just said we're out.

The reason other presidents in our lifetime have conceded and Trump hasn't is because they were decent human beings and Trump is still grifting money with a promise to run in 24

CES

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Latest news was that Biden now had 290 electoral college votes to Trump's 217.

Ford, Carter and Bush Snr all served one term and left without this much fuss. So why can't Trump ?

When things were looking bleak the day after the election, I made the prediction here that Biden would win with 285+.

I'm glad he didn't make me look bad.

Law firms have to worry about their broader reputation;  filing a bunch of hopeless lawsuits is not good for that.  Pennsylvania is particularly hopeless;  the margin is almost a full percentage point.  Laws vary, but I think the Trump campaign can demand a recount...but with that margin, in many states, THEY would have to pay for it.  Not the state.

The vote fraud cases would have to work their way up, yes, and with a long, extensive string of dismissals based on groundless...which is saying "WTF are you doing wasting the court's time" really...the Supreme Court will, I suspect be very much disinclined to hear any of them.  That said...if some states try to do an end-run on the electoral college, and select a slate in opposition to the popular vote in the state...THAT might go to the Supreme Court directly.  

CNN has finally called all the states, so the final margin is 306-232.