Funny Pics II: The Revenge

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Try having parents who grew up during the Great Depression. You can't get sympathy for squat.

True, dat. Though my mother tells stories about how her grandfather came from Norway as a teenager and crossed the country to Washington state, unattended, penniless and not speaking a word of English...

Though her great-aunt came from Norway, on her own, when only nine. That or starve, doncha know.

Yeah, during the pandemic I couldn't muster much sympathy for people who complained they couldn't go to a bar, a barbershop or the gym. History is a great supplier of perspective.

Dean Shomshak

Edited by DShomshak

59 minutes ago, Old Man said:

In my day ice axes hadn't been invented yet

We had to ice-fish by chopping through the ice with our fingernails! And we didn't have fishing poles, we caught the fish with our teeth! And then used the fish as clubs to fight off the polar bears!

AND WE LIKED IT!!!

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Try having parents who grew up during the Great Depression. You can't get sympathy for squat.

I'll second Dean's "True dat."  My dad told me how some winters, the snow was so bad that they had to get out and push the school bus up hills.  (I was nice and didn't point out that at least they had a school bus.  But in rural Nebraska, with the only high school in the next town...)  

Edit to add:  

Also, one of the few times I saw my dad lose his temper, was when a much younger guy told him, "Bill, you've never had to do without..."  I could hear him quite clearly from outside the building they were in.  "I'VE never had to do without?!  YOU didn't grow up during the Great Depression!  YOU didn't have to WORK YOUR WAY THROUGH COLLEGE during the end of the Depression! YOU didn't have to interrupt your education to fight A WAR!"  I ran inside, afraid he was going to have a stroke, he was so angry.

Edited by BoloOfEarth