But I did not swear!

Asperion

Over the years authors have developed many different ways of getting around the censors, especially where it comes to swearing.  In Red Dwarf, everyone used the term smeag whenever they wanted to swear.  Other authors went with ancient words that most people will not recognize.  How do you prefer to make these non-swears?  

con-sarn it sometimes (thanks to an early 1940s version of the Devil and Daniel Webster)

Note: especially considering his mother's reaction was "what kind of talk is that on the Sabbath"

Of course, smurf.

And being a Southerner we have dagnabbit, and dern it, dang it etc.

I don't swear IRL except for maybe twice (ever) with my kids in order to deliberately place special emphasis on what I was saying. I wasn't raised in a household or extended family on either side which used swear words in conversation so I just never picked up the habit. Kind of weird because neither side of the family was overwhelmingly religious when I was very young.

In writing fiction, I'll use whichever swear words I feel is appropriate to the character.

My favorites from fiction:

From Battlestar Galactica: frak

From Star Wars the EU:

Sithspawn/Sithspit - Usually used as a single word exclamation when the person is excited or shocked.

Holy Sith! - humorous for the anagram

kriff/kriffing - roughly equivalent to a mild form of the f-word

kark/karking - roughly equivalent to a not mild form of the f-word

lubed - meaning either "fantastic" or "screwed", according to context

vaping - mild curse about the level as saying "damn"

dwang - as in "deep in dwang". Probably derived from some Mandalorian word, the term is usually used by clones in the GAR.

shebs - meaning buttocks, from the Mandalorian language

shab/shabuir - from the Mandalorian language. "Buir" means father or mother (the language not distinguishing between the genders) and "shab" meaning excrement. So a shabuir could be used to mean you are a "crappy parent" in a society where family is everything and passing along what you know to your kids is the ultimate in cultural values. The term shabuir can also be used somewhat sympathetically to a parent who has tried to do everything right by their kids but everything turns out wrong for the kids anyway (e.g. - a parent who was put in a crappy no-win situation with his kids).

shebs - meaning buttocks, from the Mandalorian language

dar'manda - Mandalorian, someone who was born a Mandalorian but who has lost his cultural heritage or has deliberately turned his back upon it. In literal terms, it means that upon death that the person's soul will not return to the Manda (the collective over-soul or heaven). So saying that someone who has deliberately turned his back on the Mandalorian culture is "dar'manda" is roughly the equivalent of saying he's become a soulless monster.

There's a lot more Mandalorian that's wonderful for cursing and abuse. If I had to pick one culture from which to derive insults, it'd be this one.

Firefly: Gorram

Ringworld:

TANJ

futz/futzing

bleep

expletive deleted - Bleeping out bad words on the boob cube and putting "expletive deleted" in the written news became so common that saying "bleep" and "expletive deleted" became the new swear words used by society. The censors decided that they'd have to live with those new curse words being in use since obviously despite whatever they tried to censor that people would just adapt and move on.

I will also occasionally write [REDACTED] where a profane word would normally go.

I think I got the idea from Heinlein, one of whose characters in Starship Troopers said something about "the best redacted unit in the whole unprintable army", or words to that effect.

14 hours ago, Asperion said:

Over the years authors have developed many different ways of getting around the censors, especially where it comes to swearing.  In Red Dwarf, everyone used the term smeag whenever they wanted to swear.  Other authors went with ancient words that most people will not recognize.  How do you prefer to make these non-swears?   

Battlestar Galactic had "Frag" in the same way.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

One word: Farscape.

(Frell yeah!)

Farscape is definitely way up there. Apparently the Translator Bacteria had a censorship filter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCNDdlCo4rA

And Zort, for the Fictional Talan Lanaguage of the game Outcast.

Also sometimes "Ptok'chai" - and pardon my Klingon here.

And from Dragonball Z Abridged: "Ah, Crapbaskets".

52 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Isn't there a flippin' sticky thread for this already?  ;)

That other thread was originally meant as a warning to everyone to not use swear words in their posts, otherwise discipline action will need to be taken.  However, people being as they are that thread has moved away from that warning.  I was simply attempting with this thread to make a general discussion about the different methods that people have used to swear in published material that censors will either not catch or will not care about thinking that the audience will not recognize or care about.