Coronavirus

Steve

Intro to 

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/bolsonaro-faces-criminal-investigation-possible-impeachment-over-covid-response-in-brazil

Brazil's Supreme Court formalized a criminal investigation last week into President Jair Bolsonaro's handling of the pandemic. It could eventually lead to his impeachment.

Let me say:  reading the story will probablly make you angry.  Bolsonaro's quoted once;  ok, one can argue it's cherry picking, but...to say it's callous and heartless is a *gross* understatement.

Let's hope it works out, but it sounds like, at best, it'll take a while.  Meanwhile, the virus continues to wreak major havoc.  In less than a week, the number of dead per capita will pass 1 per 500 people.  The new case rate fluctuates somewhat, but levels climbed in December and have generally, with some short-term declines, continued up.  So, yes, new cases are down somewhat...about 20% from the highest rates in mid March...but that's still an extremely high rate.  And 20% drop in 6 weeks isn't that great, since that was their peak so far.  By comparison, in the US, new cases dropped 60% during January, then 50% (on top of that) in February.

Oh, and I think most experts believe Brazil is seriously undercounting *anyway* so the situation's even worse than the numbers present.

Bolsonaro is quoted twice in the story, both quotations being callous, arrogant, misleading and stupid. TBH that's the tone of every remark I've read or heard from him regarding coronavirus. A great deal of the blame for allowing the virus to spread and the Brazilian public not taking it seriously can be laid directly at Bolsonaro's feet. And that's all I can say without usurping the political thread.

What's worse is that the sheer extent of the outbreak in India is now raising concerns that it will imperil containment world-wide, because this will be a little Andromeda Strain situation in itself, with the virus free to mutate to its little heart's content, making vaccination much less certain.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

What's worse is that the sheer extent of the outbreak in India is now raising concerns that it will imperil containment world-wide, because this will be a little Andromeda Strain situation in itself, with the virus free to mutate to its little heart's content, making vaccination much less certain.

The B.1.617 variant had become the dominant strain there last month, a "double mutant" that may be ten times as contagious as prior VOC.  However there is also some inconclusive evidence that that particular variant has burned itself out (in India).  Just a happy reminder that, with covid, it's hard to know what's going on for sure.

Can't wait for B.1.617 to start making the rounds outside India.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Can't wait for B.1.617 to start making the rounds outside India.

That's the part that makes me nervous yet.  I am going to enjoy the extra feeling of safety now that I'm "fully vaccinated," but would be an idiot not to keep an eye on Covid numbers while so doing.  There's a light at the end of the tunnel, but still a chance that it's an oncoming train.

23 minutes ago, Old Man said:

We can dream. 

But consider.

Anti-vaxers will still tend to get these mutating versions more often.  Do you really want a bunch of anti-vax mutants?  I'll concede the exceptional irony, but a horde of them with powers is beyond terrifying....

Man...India pulled a 4 and 4 that you DON'T want, today.

400,000+ new cases 

4000+ deaths

Tragically, the new case numbers are still climbing;  slower than before, but still climbing.  So, even if the curve flattens in, say, a week, then starts to turn around...and it's back to, let's say, 300,000 in a month...that's about 16-17 million more cases, and something like 200,000 more deaths.  If not more.