Coronavirus

Steve

On 4/11/2021 at 4:46 PM, tkdguy said:

Not on topic, but I just want to thank everyone who supported my decision to leave my job. My family doesn't think it's a good idea at this time, and they may be right. But the die is cast, and there's no turning back now.

The district manager asked me to stay on for a bit longer. We'll see how it works out for now. Still going through with the job search.

A very interesting piece in this morning's NYT Briefing.  It's Calabresi's Fable:

Guido Calabresi, a federal judge and Yale law professor, invented a little fable that he has been telling law students for more than three decades.

He tells the students to imagine a god coming forth to offer society a wondrous invention that would improve everyday life in almost every way. It would allow people to spend more time with friends and family, see new places and do jobs they otherwise could not do. But it would also come with a high cost. In exchange for bestowing this invention on society, the god would choose 1,000 young men and women and strike them dead.

Calabresi then asks: Would you take the deal? Almost invariably, the students say no. The professor then delivers the fable’s lesson: “What’s the difference between this and the automobile?”

We're used to the car risk;  the risk presented here is new.  I think there are some other significant factors so that we downplay the risk of driving, but one of the big points is, this is new.  The article points out:  Covid is now an Old Risk, it's been subsumed for most of us.  (The major exception would be, those who've had a very bad case close to us, but that's a fraction of a percent.)  Vaccination is a New Risk.  And it feels like an avoidable risk...so...we should avoid it!!!  The fact that it reduces your risk of catching Covid greatly...and of developing major problems, almost completely...doesn't register.

I doubt that's the entire story, but it feels like a sensible contributing factor for the fairly widespread reticence reported.

Me, I just got shot again.  Of course, this could also be considered irrational behavior;  go to this weird place, meet people I don't know at all, get shot...then REPEAT THE EXACT SAME BEHAVIOR 3 WEEKS LATER!!!  Fool me once, shame on you;  fool me twice..............

11 minutes ago, death tribble said:

India through 15 million cases

Oh dear.

What's more frightening is their case numbers are skyrocketing.  Down to around 15,000 per day in early March...over 200,000 per day now.  Only 6 weeks later for about a 13-fold increase...altho that was starting from a relatively low bar.  The last 2 weeks have been particularly bad:  69 --> 115 --> 219 (thousands, each), April 2nd --> 9th --> 16th.  

So, first jab yesterday. (Moderna, if anyone's interested.) A lot easier than I expected: The clinic my brother attends called him a week ago to ask if he'd like vaccination, which none of us expected. He got the jab. When he got home, he realized he should have asked if he could set up an appointment for me. I called the clinic, because what could it hurt, and they said, "Sure, come on in." So my brother drove me there right away. Tiresome paperwork, then wait for them to enter the information, then a small prick on my shoulder, then more waiting while they made sure I didn't drop dead.

After all the news stories about people hunting for vaccinatin slots and crossing the state, I'm almost disappointed it was so easy. (Almost, but not quite.)

No immediate side effects. A half hour later my throat felt a little tight, but that passed a few hours later as the general mild muscle ache began. I feel fine now. And best of all is the glorious realization that Bill Gates is my beloved Master as the nano-chips interface with my brain. 😜

Dean Shomshak